Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dylan and stealthing  (Read 2457 times)

Offline seedee_oner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
dylan and stealthing
« on: December 09, 2003, 02:02:08 AM »
this is a question that's been on my mind for a while.   how does someone get a rig into these dylan shows and tape?  as notoriously anti-taping as dylan is, looks like they'd catch these stealth rigs on the way in, or as they are taping.  most of these shows that are released by Crystal Cat, etc... are of good/great quality, and sounds as if the mic position never moves the whole show.  anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on the subject?  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 02:09:05 AM by branch_ld »

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:dylan and stealthing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 08:31:38 AM »
this is a question that's been on my mind for a while.   how does someone get a rig into these dylan shows and tape?  as notoriously anti-taping as dylan is, looks like they'd catch these stealth rigs on the way in, or as they are taping.  most of these shows that are released by Crystal Cat, etc... are of good/great quality, and sounds as if the mic position never moves the whole show.  anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on the subject?  

Venues don't beef up security for Dylan shows. On a couple occasions, I saw a spotter on the stage corner looking into the crowd and on another I saw venue security go thru the GA floor a few times looking for tapers/cameras but nothing unusual other than that.

Newport '02, however, was open cameras all day until Dylan. They made stage announcements to put cameras away before his set and had RI state troopers lined up on the stage front. They came into the crowd and busted at least one taper and scared off all the photographers.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 11:54:36 AM »
what a wanker........

I love Dylan, but he's just so weird!

exactly, have tapes from telluride i don't even listen to.  many stealthers there, including me.  he's such a boob though, and i can't understand what he's singing, so i've never given them more than a cursory listen.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 12:07:24 PM »
When I saw dylan with the dead at Columbus this past summer, there was someone who was stading in the pavilion during Dylan's set w/ a hand held shotgun mic, just standing there taping, not concealing it at all.

One of the venue security went and told him to put it away, and then another came up and, presumably, told him that it was OK, because both security guards left, and the dude kept recording Dylan's set.

I assume they mistook Dylan's taping policy as consistent with the Dead's...

They also did collective jams on the nites that I saw them (I think they did this for every show...) - since Dylan is on stage, does that mean all the tapers had to stop recording?

IMHO, and I am a huge, huge Dylan fan - most of his recorded shows, that I have heard, totally blow, and it's not the quality of the recording that I am talking about...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 12:08:58 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com