Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hanging Mics  (Read 2471 times)

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Hanging Mics
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:48:39 PM »
hello all,

i am still in the 'rig-building' stage of taping, i have not yet taped a show.  i have seen many show lineages with mics listed as 'hanging from the balcony'.  when you hang mics, do you do so with the regular cables or do you use rope or something else.  sorry if this is a stupid question, i was just having a tough time visualizing this.  cheers,
ingsy
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:Hanging Mics
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:46:11 PM »
hello all,

i am still in the 'rig-building' stage of taping, i have not yet taped a show.  i have seen many show lineages with mics listed as 'hanging from the balcony'.  when you hang mics, do you do so with the regular cables or do you use rope or something else.  sorry if this is a stupid question, i was just having a tough time visualizing this.  cheers,
ingsy
hehe, good newbie question ;)
usually, with people that know how to treat their mics and cables and not put unnecessary stress on them, they use some kind of mount in which to place the mics.  most of us use shockmounts but it's not always necessary.
anyways, more to the point...
when mics are "hung" from a balcony, ceiling, or something similar, they are typically placed in a mounting device and then attached to the balcony/etc with a clamp of some sort.
usually mics are not literally "hung" down by a cable...this can cause damage to the mic and/or cable and is not very accurate for mic placement.
i hope this answers your question and please keep asking!  that's what we're here for.  welcome aboard!  :D
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 04:32:15 PM »
Actually I have "hung" my mics off a few balconies.  I drop the mics from between the railings suspended only by the mic cables.  It is true, this does stress the cables a bit, but I have inspected them and no damage is evident after doing it dozens of times with heavy LD mics like the ADK A51TL's and Neumann tlm170s.  XLR's lock into the mics, so the stress should only occur at the gripping part of the XLR connector on the mic cable jacket (not the actual solder points at the XLR's pins or the conductors within the mic cable).  There are special mic clips that have a mount for the mics and a gripper that attaches to the cable - this takes the stress off the cable's XLR connector and puts in on the mic clip instead.  I've seen these used for both small and large dia mics.

I typically do the mic hanging thing with split omnis.  It is tough to get them pointed straight, but with omnis you don't have to be perfect.  I try to get them within 20 degrees of straight ahead - stiff cables and using gaffers tape to hold them in place on the balcony rail helps.

Whenever I list in the source info that the mics are "hung from balcony", I mean hung not clamped.  I will list them as "clamped to balcony rail" if that's what I did.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 05:17:19 PM »
i don't think that the stress on the cables would be much to damage them, i have personally found more damage to come to my cables if they are on the floor, and you stand, walk,. whatever over them.  weight on the cables is what i've found to damage them.  the only problems with hanging mics with the cable, is getting them into the position you want them to be for recording.  good luck man.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 08:03:57 PM »
Hang a mic by the mic cable and listen through the headphones.  Now hang the mic by a strung line.  Hear a difference?  Even with a suspension, the mic is holding pressure so you are directly transferring any vibrations through that line, kinda like a guitar string.  Let the mic cable hang with slack, you'll be surprised how much of a different it makes.  I used to hang mics by their own cable until someone pointed this out and tried it.  Never again.  If you can lug mic cables with you, why not some black cord...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com