Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My first taping experience!!!!!  (Read 6464 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
My first taping experience!!!!!
« on: December 14, 2003, 04:11:09 AM »
Well I taped my first bands tonight at the almost acoustic Christmas(not 1 song was performed acoustic?).  It was quite nerve racking. When entering the arena the metal detector went off and they told me to lift my shirt, I did and exposed my metal belt(thanks to this board for that advice) and they let me in.  As soon as I got in I went to the bathroom to get my equipment out of my croutch and set it up. I left the mics inside my backwords baseball hat for now.  When I get to my seat i was seated 3 feet away from security for the whole show. It was a short row of 4 seats right next to the soundboard(so close my left arm could have turned the knobs and dials, man it was huge)  I sudddenly realized it would be very tough to take my mics out of my hat and leave them resting on my ear. So i taped 2 songs from the 1st band (forgot there name) and went back to the bathroom to listen to the recording. To my amazement it was an awesome quality recording. Almost as good as a live studio produced cd!!!!This venue(Universal Ampitheatre) is so loud its increadible. My ears are still ringing. I think by leaving my mics in my hat this helped. Anyways I got an awesome quality sets of Distllers, Pennywise(they did a cover of Hey ya by Outkast), Offspring(the usc college marching band started the show with around 40 band members and they played the intro to the 1st song) When it was over the lead singer said fuck Nebraska, USC is #1. And lastly Linkin Park.  They rocked!!!!They did there encore with the lead singer of POD. The only christmas song played was we wish you a fucking merrry christmas by pennywise. My only problems during the show was halfway through offspring after 2 people in my row left 2 drunk hot chicks sat down and said in my ear are these seats taken? I waved my head yes and they sat down anyways. This is picked up on the offspring set but not too loudly. This drunk hottie then started to shake her ass in my croutch(did not impede recording) so that was cool. Then between songs she said"what is all that" pointing to the sounboards and I told her I was recording the show and trying not to talk. They left shortly after that.  Thanks to everyone on this board for all the help. Especially Schwillis. He gave me loads of valuable info. I can't wait to see Maiden in a month!!!!!

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re:My first taping experience!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 04:27:45 AM »
correction to the above post"he said fuck oklahoma, USC is #1) must have had a flashback there.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 05:15:06 AM »
you should have punched the bitch in the mouth  ;D
hit me up when you get it transfered

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 05:42:20 AM »
Sure thing.  Actually the stupid bitch actually left right when linkin park started because she said what row is this? I told her UU and she said thats stupid it should be like 11, 12, 13. Thank god she said this right when the Linkin park intro started playing and then she left, If she stayed any longer into the set I probably would have to sock her, or at least choke her out ;D Although if I wasn't taping I'd bang the shit out of her. Even stealth nerds get (drunk)hotties.

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Taperssection Member
  • "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain."
    • Show List
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 07:38:28 AM »
Congrats!  I was nervous my shit would bust down during my first recording...and it did!  I fixed all that though.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 07:43:23 AM »
nice, i started stealthing myself, back in 97.... 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 11:44:37 AM »
drunk hottie then started to shake her ass in my croutch(did not impede recording)

That's right.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 11:45:04 AM »
Congrats, btw! I was also super jazzed about my first recording. Talk to Schwilly about a trade ;)

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 02:30:06 PM »
Well I taped my first bands tonight at the almost acoustic Christmas(not 1 song was performed acoustic?).To my amazement it was an awesome quality recording. Almost as good as a live studio produced cd!!!!

i love this part.  first show is like a studio album ;D.  mine was too. 8)  j/k vansmack, congratulations on a good first outing.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 02:32:11 PM »
Well I taped my first bands tonight at the almost acoustic Christmas(not 1 song was performed acoustic?).To my amazement it was an awesome quality recording. Almost as good as a live studio produced cd!!!!

i love this part.  first show is like a studio album ;D.  mine was too. 8)  j/k vansmack, congratulations on a good first outing.

jr

Haha, I think it happens to everyone - me too. :)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 09:37:26 PM »
If you tape maiden, I want a copy for sure....Maiden Rules.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 10:09:51 AM »
Vansmack, sounds like you've gotten bit by the bug!  Welcome aboard!!! ;D ;D ;D
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline RJPass

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 10:52:14 AM »
Congratulations Vansmack!!!!!!!!  Im very happy and pleased that you taped some of the show.  Im glad that my tactic worked in getting your stuff inside.  =)

Now, how about a sample of how the show turned out?

Or better yet, the shows in their entirety  =)

BTW, did you only record saturday night, or did you get both nights?

Offline blguillen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 01:10:29 PM »
congrats vansmack!  i'm glad the LP set got taped.  I'll be on the floor  somewhere @ the s.d. and l.a. LP shows.

Sat night I recorded Star 98.7's Not So Silent Night (Jason Mraz, Jewel, Sarah McLauglin and Matchbox 20) from like the 9th row.  Sounds awesome, except for the random girl screaming at how 'hot' Jason Mraz or the dude from Matchbox 20 is...lol

at853's (cards) > sp battery box (bass roll off set at 107mhz) > d8 (mics in hat)

security was next to nothing. i should have just walked in with a bigger rig and a mic stand...  8)
mk4's > nbox >  laptop
mc012's > ps2 > ad20 > 7 pin > d8
at853's > sp battery box > ad20 > 7 pn > d8

www.nancies.org | Moderator
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php | Live Music Archive Admin

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 02:40:37 PM »
Ok guys I transferred a few of the shows and they lose a good amount of quality (but still listenable) Man I wish my md had a digital out!! I have a sound blaster 5.1 soundcard. I'm using my headphone line going into my soundcard line in. I've recorded with sound forge 4.5 and with my soundcards recorder (both sound similar) The sound gets a little muzzled. Any suggestions? Heres a sample of Linkin park

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com