Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rain at an outdoor show  (Read 7572 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: rain at an outdoor show
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 12:36:07 AM »
Interesting to see the condom and fingercot. I have in the past used simple cling-wrap plastic film stretched tight over the capsule and secured by rubber bands, no noticeable effect...but no objective data to prove it. Something to test out  :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »
I've used one layer of tightly wrapped cling-wrap in the past with no ill effects. I would think that the goal is to have the thinnest water barrier possible and this would beat a condom.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »
you could try the extra-sensitivity kind...never thought they were that effective at their intended use anyways...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Taperssection Member
  • "Taper you are looking for I am not."
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
I've used one layer of tightly wrapped cling-wrap in the past with no ill effects. I would think that the goal is to have the thinnest water barrier possible and this would beat a condom.
hmm, yeah some plastic wrap would be thinner and therefore better than a finger cot/condom. next time
My Masters
One song samples of all my masters

My Rig: IRiver H320 -> Church-Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics -> BAT-2B

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
At 10klf, It rained briefly during Mickey Hart. It was strange as the sun was out, just one cloud right above my mics. I had about a yard square of ripstop nylon in my bag, as I wanted to experiment with it terms of building a little tarp over the rig.

Well I just draped the stuff over the mics and put a velcro tie around it at the bottom so it would not flap. It was only on for about half a song, but for the life of me I cannot figure out when I did it, I have yet to hear anything on the recording that sounds like all the movement that was going on. I have to do some more experimenting at some point.

Granted I have not really done any critical listening, but there seems to be no sign of the process and no loss of sound.

Here is a link to the show...
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=517592
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
FWIW, used the condoms mid way thru a set on Sunday, and the sound quality went down hill, and you can hear it ratehr significantly change, as they were added during a song when the rain started :(

FWIW, the condoms were put over the windscreens, not on the caps directly.... I would not recommend this procedure, sounds like dog sh*t

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 05:36:01 PM »
FWIW, used the condoms mid way thru a set on Sunday, and the sound quality went down hill, and you can hear it ratehr significantly change, as they were added during a song when the rain started :(

FWIW, the condoms were put over the windscreens, not on the caps directly.... I would not recommend this procedure, sounds like dog sh*t

Great thread, should help a lot of out there who haven't taped in rainy situations before!  +Ts all around. 

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »
At 10klf, It rained briefly during Mickey Hart. It was strange as the sun was out, just one cloud right above my mics. I had about a yard square of ripstop nylon in my bag, as I wanted to experiment with it terms of building a little tarp over the rig.

Well I just draped the stuff over the mics and put a velcro tie around it at the bottom so it would not flap. It was only on for about half a song, but for the life of me I cannot figure out when I did it, I have yet to hear anything on the recording that sounds like all the movement that was going on. I have to do some more experimenting at some point.

Granted I have not really done any critical listening, but there seems to be no sign of the process and no loss of sound.

Not surprised it was good. Nylon tents don't block sound at all AFAIKS :)
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 10:25:01 AM »

Not surprised it was good. Nylon tents don't block sound at all AFAIKS :)

How 'bout one of those miniature display tents that are about GI Joe size.. on stilts. ;D
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »
check out the last song from this show  :o thought my gear was a going to get wet for sure.
http://www.archive.org/details/montbleau2008-07-27.flac16
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline Taper1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:51 PM »
waterproof mics?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
waterproof mics?

And so we have reduced to the final solution, a pair of hydrophones :)

- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com