Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping at an old church turned club  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
taping at an old church turned club
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:05:12 AM »
i tape at this local venue that was once a church.  The place is really boomy and they have djs in it about all week, but on the weekends they have normal bands.  Anyway, the sound system is set up for boomy bass and techno style toons and every time i record in the place it sounds like butt.

I usually tape about 50ft back up in the balcony.  I'm the only one up there so i usually get what would be the sweet spot, my tapes sound ok, but i think they could sound better.  So far i've only run xy up there with card caps.  I'm thinking maybe next time i'll run nos with hyper caps.  think thats a good idea?

Theres a big show coming up on the 13th, it'll be 6 hours with 6 local bands, and i plan on doing the entire night. (plug-in power is wonderful).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions.  It'd probably be better for me to tape on the floor, but in the balcony is easier cuz i can just leave my stuff roll and go runoff and drink and not worry about my stuff so much.

ed
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 03:05:40 AM by SpeshulEd »

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re:taping at an old church turned club
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 09:45:29 AM »
do you have any sort of bass roll-off?  if so that might help you on the low end... just a thought

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 10:40:16 AM »
superlux > digimod ua-5 > njb3  no bass roll-off but theres the ua-5.

maybe do xy with the hypers since xy has a natural bass roll-off effect, i'm thinking hypers might limit some of the reverb from the walls and such.

???

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 11:25:26 AM »
superlux > digimod ua-5 > njb3  no bass roll-off but theres the ua-5.

maybe do xy with the hypers since xy has a natural bass roll-off effect, i'm thinking hypers might limit some of the reverb from the walls and such.

???

That would probably be your best bet. Hypers would kill some of the boomyness, and xy would kill some bass...

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 11:45:31 AM »
i love hypers in almost every situation (hence I only own the 63 caps for my 480s).  give em a try!!! Try one show with hypers first set and cards the second and let us know what you think!
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »
can you get out of the balcony? balconies can be a bit of a bass trap...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »
can you get out of the balcony? balconies can be a bit of a bass trap...

ya 50ft back is definitely causing the boom in your tapes. if it is possible to get closer to the stage on the floor, go that route and run a cards/hypers comp. if you have to remain in the balcony then, yes, go XY hypers. should clean up some of the mud.

I dunno about the rest of the guys and gals on here but i have never tried or heard someone run hypers NOS. seems like it would be too much seperation for hypers.  anybody want to chime in on when hypers NOS would be applicable?

good luck!
Brian

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 03:27:02 PM »
i'll see what i can do.  its a 6hr show with 6 bands and my friends band actually set it up.  the venue is a local venue and one of the few locations to play in the area, but i'm quite familiar with it and i know almost everyone there.  we'll have to get there early since i'm helping my friends set it up, i'll case the joint out.  I know theres a little balcony directly above the stage where the dj's spin, maybe i could extend my stand out from that so the mics go out over top of the stage and the band and the audience.

i know i could get better sounding audio if i just went down and stood on the floor, but then i'd have to babysit my stuff all night, and since i'm going to know a lot of the people there, i'd like to just leave it in the balcony and run up and check on it on occasion.

This place could be a really cool venue if they'd just lose the dj's and all the dj sound equipment.  Ekoostik Hookah is playing there on the 27th, i wonder if anyone from here will be attending?

thansk for all the help
ed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com