Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 0-byte header fixing  (Read 4143 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
0-byte header fixing
« on: November 18, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
sorry to take up more bandwith.  i also had the r9 improper song topic.  it seems like the header needs fixing.   i poured through all the info on this topic and i am lost.  is there an eay way to do this?  i have tried cep2, sf6, cdwav.  nothing recognizes the files. thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:32:22 PM by bonghitwillie »

Offline anonymous_user

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: 0-byte header fixing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »
Probably would have been better to keep it all in one topic, but I'm sure someone will eventually reply to this one anyway so I guess I'll respond here.

First of all, I don't believe your problem is related to a simple header repair. That's usually when you have a full-sized file that either reads as 00:00:00, 00:00:01, or maybe 00:00:02 in length, and does not playback in your recorder or in any software. Then it's an easy fix and it's just a header issue. 0-byte files can be much more complicated. If the file is 0-bytes then there's likely no header to fix. At least not until you can get a file with actual data in it.

Secondly, the original R09 does in fact have the repair option. However, I would not try to use it, and it may be too late already.

The problem with a 0-byte file, it's much like having a deleted file. You likely cannot perform any write operations to the disk or card whatsoever. A 0-byte file means the allocation table itself is saying the file has no data to it, so there's nothing that's protected or associated to the file. The rest of the data is still on the card, but with nothing attached or associated to it. When you delete a file from a hard drive or memory card, the file disappears but the data remains intact, so the allocation table now flags that physical portion of the drive as empty, which signifies it can now be overwritten with new data. That's how disk fragmentation occurs. But until something new is written, however small it is, it will remain there. So they're both essentially the exact same thing. A perfect example is when someone deletes a file, and then tries to recover from that same drive, you will never be able to recover it. You have to instead try to recover externally or without writing to the source disk at all, which would include even running Windows or booting up a computer. When you have a 0-byte file like that, and something new is written to the card, it's a safe bet that it will overwrite at least part of that portion of the card.

In your last post you said:
"i did a microsoft os disk test and repair (not sure was that is called) and that wrote a copy of my 44/16 to another earlier track that had little data. i then made a backup on my pc."

So if that's the case, whatever was on the 2nd file or the rest of the card very possibly had a portion of it overwritten. Even with a 4kb cluster of the file overwritten, that may be enough to make the rest of the file unrecoverable. The next thing I would probably try is some data recovery programs, and to do what I originally said which is to search all through this board for 0-byte files, error files, recovery of files, and some microtrack recovery topics etc, since I know I've seen these discussed on here in great length. The microtrack device seems to have the 0-byte issue quite often, which is why I mentioned that. The search function could be a great help. It may be possible that using some recovery programs while reading the card externally could recognize something on the disk, but some work much better than others and experience with using them can be a big help.

On the other hand, if you got a copy of one of the two files (the 16/44 one) and copied it to your PC, and that file is no longer 0 bytes, then it may be possible to repair the header on that file or get it to play. If it doesn't play right now, first thing I would try is to make multiple copies of it, take one copy and put it on *another* different memory card, and put that in your R09 after removing the card with the 0-byte files, then try the R09 repair option on that. If that doesn't work, then I would next try the wave header repair utility, and if that doesn't work, then I would try some of the "import as raw" options that are discussed in the wave header repair utility thread. Certainly one of those should work if it's a full-sized file.

Lastly, after reading what you said in your last post, I believe it was probably your memory card that caused it. Usually an issue of low battery, power failure, dropped or bumped recorder etc, will result in the unit crashing, or locking up, or powering off, and the file being full-sized but without a working header. The fact that you have two seperate files that are 0-bytes, along with the fact that you suspected the card of being faulty or that it had problems when trying to format it, that tells me it is almost definitely the memory card. Most SD cards have a lifetime warranty so when you get this sorted out, I would immediately send it in for a free replacement, or replace it on your own and definitely never use the card again either way. I had a card that gave me problems in the R09 as well, where I believe it would stop recording for no reason, and many others have had similar issues, so it's a familiar problem.

Hope that helps.

Offline anonymous_user

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
Actually, after re-reading your last post in the other topic again, I'm even more sure that it was the memory card. I saw that you said yourself the unit was still on. Every time that I've heard of recording being stopped or having a problem, all while the unit is still on, it was always a memory card issue, every single time. The fact that the unit was still on is a dead giveaway. Aside from that, it obviously wasn't a battery issue or power failure since it was still on, and if the recorder was dropped or bumped then it also would have locked up, crashed, or powered off. So the issue was your memory card.

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:15:38 PM »
thanks anonymous.  i forgot to mention that the 44/16 file played fine and the 48/24 showed 0 bytes and 5.2khz.  my r9 has v1.30 firmware but i do not have the repair function.  my list goes to #6 copy.  how do i get to the repair function?  thank you in advance.

Offline Chris K

• Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
sorry to take up more bandwith.  i also had the r9 improper song topic.  it seems like the header needs fixing.   i poured through all the info on this topic and i am lost.  is there an eay way to do this?  i have tried cep2, sf6, cdwav.  nothing recognizes the files. thanks in advance.

try the wav repair utility made by pigiron...it has gotten me out of trouble a couple times:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72936.0.html

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com