Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bogen 3373 how much do you chop off...........  (Read 3513 times)

Offline RobC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Bogen 3373 how much do you chop off...........
« on: February 20, 2004, 03:57:42 PM »
I just got a Bogen 3373 to use as a FOB low profile stand, and know many guys chop down the legs to make a smaller footprint.

I was wondering how much you chop off?

km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Bogen 3373 how much do you chop off...........
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »
I just got a Bogen 3373 to use as a FOB low profile stand, and know many guys chop down the legs to make a smaller footprint.

I was wondering how much you chop off?

IME, good blocking (usually just me and Jen) precludes any leg-chopping.  I haven't chopped mine at all.  Works great as far as I'm concerned.  I suggest running it a few times unchopped to see how it goes.  Might as well make sure it's something you want to do - once chopped, the legs won't grow back.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 04:13:18 PM »
Just run it with the legs flat. You'll have to tape it down good but it works perfectly. No need to chop off the legs.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 04:22:35 PM »
Just run it with the legs flat. You'll have to tape it down good but it works perfectly. No need to chop off the legs.

I agree. flat is the way to go. Keeping the full length legs will allow you to run it at full height when your not being low key. I own a 3373, and a clamp. all you need.  ;D
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:26:42 PM »
eggsactly...  much better imo.

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:55:54 PM »
dont chop it! you'll regret it later. Its not that big of a footprint anyways, and you may need the full 7.5' at a later date.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 03:07:18 AM »
Ok, not chopping
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 10:20:58 AM »
i have thought about chopping mine many times, but have shied away from it. i've seen some chopped ones run in the field, and at an ampitheater show it will save you lots of hassles, and there is no noticeable loss in stability - but just like these guys said, it is my only stand now and i occasionally like to run it at the full 7.5'

if you have another stand to run in the section, go ahead and chop about 8" off each leg. if it's your only stand leave it as it.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 02:47:56 PM »
I chopped mine off, and don't regret it at all.  I don't need the extra few inches, and the smaller footprint and the fact that it folds flatter is well worth it.  I cut mine off just enough that the legs would fold flush against the main tube under the bottom tightening screw.  I'm not sure exactly how much that was, but I am guessing probably 6"

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 02:51:17 PM »
I'd cut it down exactly as Mitch has described.

hey mitch - ran into your brother again at moe/galactic in Denver, good kid!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 03:01:47 PM »
I chopped mine off, and don't regret it at all.  I don't need the extra few inches, and the smaller footprint and the fact that it folds flatter is well worth it.  I cut mine off just enough that the legs would fold flush against the main tube under the bottom tightening screw.  I'm not sure exactly how much that was, but I am guessing probably 6"

I happen to have mine here at work and looks like you chopped about 7" based on your description of them folding flush against the main tube just under the bottom leg-tightening screw.  But I'm having trouble visualizing how it "folds flatter"?

As for footprint, my stock stand's narrowest footprint is 12" between each leg (12" each between leg A-B, B-C, and C-A).  If I visualize chopping 7' off, it only cuts my footprint down to 8-1/2".  I've always run a clamp and an extension for amphitheater shows, or had no problem running the stand stock, so I haven't needed to chop it.

Mitch - do you find the 8-1/2" footprint that much more convenient than 12"?  Curious to hear your experiences...
Roland R-05

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 09:20:37 AM »
it's not about the footprint at it's narrowest, brian, it'a about the footprint at it's widest.

cut stands when run flush to the ground, fob, will not really protrude past the area that one person would take up.  when i run my stand flat the footprint is very wide.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 09:33:39 AM »
Ahhhh...I get it, now.  I've never run my stand flat so didn't even think about it that way.  Thanks, Cooker.
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 01:56:31 PM »
it's not about the footprint at it's narrowest, brian, it'a about the footprint at it's widest.

cut stands when run flush to the ground, fob, will not really protrude past the area that one person would take up.  when i run my stand flat the footprint is very wide.

+T for saying what a few of us were dancing around!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 01:56:46 PM »
Yeah, I was about to echo cooker...I typically run mine almost completely flat against the ground w/ typically only about a 2inch tall "triangle" if you will in the center.  FOB, that allows you to set your bag across almost 2 legs right up against the stand and allows you to get really small and stable.  The stand also folds a bit flatter when the legs can slide under the bottom tightening screw rather than going up around it towards the top.  Granted, we're not talking about a lot flatter, but I can easily run mine up the sleeve of jacket to get down front...and you can't do that nearly as easily w/ the stock leg config.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com