Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I am a chinese field recorder,please recommend a mic for me!!!go into for detail  (Read 13831 times)

Offline battery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban
recording rock show in livehouse for bootleg is my  interest!

this is my plan for recording device:

???mic > Naiant littleBox > sony pcm m-10

my budget for mic is below $800.

is there sth wrong for  my plan? please give me some advice! this forums is famous in world ,even in china, so i come here for professional advice~
i wanna buy a used mic for a better one in my limited money~waiting for your advice! 3ks for everyone here~

I am a Chinese Taper&Live recorder!

Digital Recorder: Zoom H4 & Sony PCM M-10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
I think you're best off with Church Audio CA-11 or CA-14 (mics) > Church Audio 9100 or 9200 (preamp) > Sony PCM-M10.

You can buy the Church Audio directly from Chris Church who is on this forum (check out 'retail' subforum).  I think the total price of this rig, if buying new, is about $500-600 (including M10), or less for used. 

Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4 (which is the Audio Technica AT853 mics) is a good alternative since they have switchable mic capsules (cardioid, omni, hypercard, subcard -- although subcard isn't sold new anymore).  You can buy used here or on the sound pro website (www.soundprofessionals.com), just remember to get the 'low sensitivity' modification so you can record loud concerts without distortion.  They should cost about $300/pair new with cardioid caps, and more for more caps and less for used. 

Good luck!

Offline battery

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban
Amazing for ur fast and detailed responce!

i feel a little moved for the kind people in this wonderful forum like u~3ks again

Offline su6oxone

Glad to help.  Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any.  8)

Offline battery

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban
i can't find the sp-cmc-4 in www.soundprofessionals.com,how about this one?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144437.0

sp-cmc-4 only or sp-cmc-4 > littlebox?

Offline su6oxone

Yep, that is the same one. 

You can find it here also (new): http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U

For this type of mic, you won't need phantom power so you would probably be better off with a Church Audio preamp (9100 or 9200) or a battery box.

Sound Pro sells a bunch of battery boxes: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/310/mics

Offline battery

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban
3ks su6oxone staying up all night

Night is coming in China,but u guys will wake up, join in this topic~

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...

What do you mean "bootleg"?  Do you plan to sell your recording for your own profit?
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline battery

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban
no,no, i won't sell anything, maybe share with friends sometimes

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA

What do you mean "bootleg"?  Do you plan to sell your recording for your own profit?

Yeah, the term "bootleg" is not appropriate to use on this forum.
When we see or hear that term used we think of someone selling audio or video recordings that they don't have the right to sell.
Glad to hear that you are interested in making recordings for your own personal use.

You have come to the right place to learn about the art of recording live music.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

stevetoney

In his defense, I've been all over the world traveling and I try to record local music whenever I get the chance.  The US and maybe Canada are still the only countries where the term 'bootleg' isn't still universally to mean a recording from the audience.

For the sake of the original poster and anyone else that might not be familiar, here on TS.com we've been trying to change this universal definition so that we can show that we are different than someone that records a show from the audience and sells it to put money in his own pocket.  Over the last 10 or 15 years, we've been very successful in North America in changing this perception with bands and clubs.  In fact, now many bands and clubs encourage people to come out and record.  It's a real win-win for everyone involved.  Unfortunately, outside of North America this concept hasn't caught on yet. 

Anyway, TS.com is very sensitive when someone uses the word 'bootleg' around here because we don't want to be confused with those that record to sell.

I hope this helps.

stevetoney

My opinion is that either the CA-9100/CA-9200 or the Littlebox would work well for you.  They would both sound very nice with CA-14 microphones or SP-CMC-4U. 

An earlier poster suggested that mics could be used with only a battery box or plug-in power (the mic in jack on a recorder), but it seems like the sound of your recordings would probably be better with one of these preamps.  It depends on the sound quality of the internal preamps in whatever recorder you decide upon.

Anyway, the Littlebox is larger in size than the Church preamps, but they both are probably small enough to put under a shirt with no problem.  The Littlebox has the advantage that you'd also be able to have XLR connectors, so if you get a pair of full-sized microphones and can record music openly, this would be a nice option.

If size is the biggest concern, you could also consider a Tinybox.

Offline battery

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban
Acutually ,In China, u can't sell the show u recorded to anyone, noboby is interested in it.
Even few people will do a “bootleg”,in the fact, just the a recording from the audience, which usually shared in internet.

sorry for producing misunderstanding here, give me some time for being familiar with  rules here

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
Welcome to the group. It's good to have some Chinese tapers now.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline battery

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Newbie Growing Up~~~~
    • douban

For the sake of the original poster and anyone else that might not be familiar, here on TS.com we've been trying to change this universal definition so that we can show that we are different than someone that records a show from the audience and sells it to put money in his own pocket.  Over the last 10 or 15 years, we've been very successful in North America in changing this perception with bands and clubs.  In fact, now many bands and clubs encourage people to come out and record.  It's a real win-win for everyone involved.  Unfortunately, outside of North America this concept hasn't caught on yet. 

what u have been doing about the changing this perception with bands and clubs is so admirable!!
It is my great honor to be a part of it ~

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com