Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Classical recording: Would you just leave it or pan and zoom?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline matahaka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Classical recording: Would you just leave it or pan and zoom?
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »
Heres a question for you guys,

in recording classical recitals, would you leave it running at the same spot at a high place the whole time, or would you pan and zoom? This would be a single camera setup.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
Re: Classical recording: Would you just leave it or pan and zoom?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
depends on how well you know the music.  Its pointless to zoom in on the string section during a percussion solo
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline matahaka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:11:46 AM »
Agreed, thanks for the opinion!

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
I think it's largely a matter of your purpose for shooting the video.  If you just need a record of the event for the sake of posterity or for something like grading the performance - you can get by with a static shot.

However, if the purpose is for some form of enjoyment -- I highly recommend trying to capture the moment by occasionally zooming in on the performer...gets some close ups on the face, the fingers working the instrument, do some upward pans where you start on the instrument and pan up toward the face, get a shot of two of them tapping their foot, etc., etc.

Get on youtube and watch some professionally shot videos of a similar type performance - you'll get some ideas from that.

I can virtually guarantee if the intent is to record something that the family might want to watch for enjoyment in the future - they will all be sleeping before five minutes has passed if it's a static shot.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:21:56 AM »
I'll disagree here, i find panning and zooming with consumer gear often more distracting than pleasant.

If you look at pro-shot videos, there are a few factors. Better/smoother zoom, a tripod with a fluid head and drag to allow smooth panning, and most importantly multiple cameras so that you can cut between stuff and not show zoom out, pan, zoom in again each time.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
Put the camera on a tripod and leave it on a wide shot of the orchestra the whole time (aka: John Lockdown).  If you have access to another camera or even an iPhone use it to get your close ups and insert edit video only from the second camera over the wide shot camera.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com