Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Considering video: cx550v and vegas opinions/questions  (Read 6497 times)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Considering video: cx550v and vegas opinions/questions
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
I'm considering expanding into video and have more or less settled on picking up a used Sony CX 550v. Seems to get decent praise around here and elsewhere on the net and used ones appear readily available on ebay. Aiming for high end consumer/pro-sumer level performance to start with.

Planning to use it in some bar settings but also, and probably more often, in better lit settings and for recital type recording, mixing in audio later but I might setup my CA-14's or other small cards to feed directly in to enhance the audio just in case. I like redundancy.

Would anybody steer me another way? I see similarly positive comments about the Panasonic TLM700 and successors but maybe just gut feeling, Sony is the way I'm leaning.

Questions about Vegas Pro. Does it sync audio sources, stretching, etc as necessary? or is that still somewhat manual like I do when matrixing from different recorders or soundboard/mic syncing in Audacity?

How difficult is it to pull in clips from other cameras, iphones, point and shoot, etc and get sync'd? Does the software help in that regard?

I'm trying to get an idea of the workflow. For the most part I do best once I get stuff in hand and play with it so figuring it's time to dive in.

thanks for any insight.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Considering video: cx550v and vegas opinions/questions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
I've been using a Sony cx550v since 2010 and i have no desire to replace it with any thing else.I dont think Vegas synchs clips for you though im pretty sure it is all manualy done,well thats how i do it anyways,takes a few minutes for me to do.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
Thanks. I picked one up on ebay. Should be here in a couple days.

Any recommendations on tripods? Admittedly haven't done much research yet. I have a DSLR so thinking one which can suffice for both is best which I imagine most will. Collapsible and mobile. And then necessary bits to clamp directly to a mic stand or similar for when that works.

New toys!

Update:

The Manfrotto 055XPROB sure looks nice but including a ball head it gets expensive quick. Good stuff usually is. No need to roll
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:20:44 PM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c

Offline beatkilla

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
Questions about Vegas Pro. Does it sync audio sources, stretching, etc as necessary? or is that still somewhat manual like I do when matrixing from different recorders or soundboard/mic syncing in Audacity?

I have read that there are programs out there that will synch audio, however, I've never looked into using anything like that.  This is because with modern digital recordings, the drift from one recording to another is very, very minimal - and very easy to fix manually.  I do it manually as I prefer to rely on my own two ears and eyes.

Tip - always synch the alternate audio to the video itself -- *not* the audio in the video.  This isn't an issue for video shot from up close - but it definitely an issue for video shot from a distance (cheap seats in an arena, for example). 
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
I got the camera and ran it Friday for the first time. Everything worked ok for a first time out. I did a quick white balance set at home before going out. Everything seemed a little bluer than it really was and when it was dark or the lights were blue the definition drops off drastically. Figuring there are a lot of settings I can fiddle with to get some better results. I record this band a lot and they'll work with me on the lighting scheme too if it means the quality improves. They asked me if there were better lights during the show and I said there probably are but I won't have any idea until after I see how this turns out.

here it is in all its glory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCcZQU2oEA

I especially like the guy with the phone up in the air right in front of the singer's face  :facepalm: it's actually a guy who works for the band. I'll have to coordinate with him next time. I rigged up a windtech clamp and attached to my mic stand.

Sync'd up audio for one song last night. Good point on the long distance sync. I didn't think of that. It was a small club so there's some delay but not a lot. I used audio from the camera to sync up with my akg/sbd matrix.

I believe I ran in the highest quality setting (LOTS of 2gb files created) and found that there's a 1-2 second audio drop out at the end of the files. Is this normal? Typically I will match in my own audio later but on the off chance I can't this is something I'll have to pay attention to.

Thanks a lot for the tips.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
theres no audio drop unless you pull the files seperate,you can use sony vegas to import from camera and it will be 1 continuos file or use freeware MTSFilejoiner.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
Thank you! Glad I asked. That makes sense. I wasn't sure what all the files were for. Guess I need to do some reading.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
Are you sure the camera is set for HD mode 1920 x 1080 24mbps or 17mbps if you need more time.

Also setting the white balance at home will give you the WRONG white balance for any other lighting setting than what you had at the time of setting white balance.The lighting at the show is constantly changing so the white balance will need to be changed for every change as well thats is why only AUTO white balance is the solution,unless you set the lights to not ever change and have a constant lighting setting.

The little dial under the lens in front of camera you can push in and hold for a second and you can change what that dial controls.White balance shift is there and you could push a few values either towards Red or Blue but i found as i said AUTO WB best.You can also lock the focus there,adjust exposure...

I thought the video looked good but maybe next time try camera on side of stage so you can see all players in a more intimate view.

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
One piece of advice I'd give you is in a venue like this, if you can figure out a way to elevate the camera, you'll get better results.  The higher you can get it, the less you have to worry about people sticking their camera phones in the air.

I recall a show I taped years ago in my VHS-C days where I somehow had the camera on a tripod balanced on a stool, and I stood on a chair so that I could record it without the crowd in the way.  Get creative if you can :-)

Good first video though.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »

is the zoom button broke on your camera?
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

is the zoom button broke on your camera?

This one turned out better. The crowd was smaller so I could get up closer and moved around a few spots during the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sT2JQOVlK0
full show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZu7dZrsiI

And another Southern Belles show. Tested the zoom button but still long distance. Can't man the camera where I can usually put it so let it go on it's own and want to keep everybody in the shot. using a proper video tripod, and off to the side a bit. It's a long room and especially with a decent crowd not a lot of opportunity to get a tripod up any closer. Wishing I had uploaded higher quality render tho. Lesson learned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXQQf7IRpM

Really wanting a second camera to walk around with now and get some close ups but a decent document even if a little boring is a starting point I'm happy with for now. Still getting a feel for the processing workflow.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:39:54 PM by Ultfris101 »

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Really wanting a second camera to walk around with now and get some close ups

Yeah ~ if you don't have to worry about anyone messing with or stealing that static cam in the back you can put together a really great video by walking around with a second cam and getting lots of nice closeups of the performance and the crowd.   
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »
consider getting a sony hx9v ($130 used) or a Panasonic LX7($275 used) as a B cam/stage shot cam.  I have used and love both.
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com