Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring DAT to PC  (Read 7438 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Transferring DAT to PC
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Coaxial is S/Pdif over copper.
DA-20 has that, Coaxial digital, not digital optical connectors for I/O.

Is that the old orange ended cord I gave away 25 years ago? Could I use any red/white style RCA cords instead?
If there's recommended high quality SPDIF Coax cords plz let me know.
I'm running from 3800 to MarantzPMD661.
My CDR is giving me OPC errors and I never contemplated taping into my solid state to transfer DATs.

A regular yellow tipped RCA "video cable" will work fine for SP/dif. The difference between audio and video RCA cables is that the audio cables have both conductors running as a twisted pair, with the ground as a shield. The video cable has a single signal conductor down the middle, and uses the ground conductor as the shield to reduce RF interference.
You can probably get away with a short RCA audio cable though!!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline adamz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
 :coolguy:

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 10:27:22 AM »

A regular yellow tipped RCA "video cable" will work fine for SP/dif. The difference between audio and video RCA cables is that the audio cables have both conductors running as a twisted pair, with the ground as a shield. The video cable has a single signal conductor down the middle, and uses the ground conductor as the shield to reduce RF interference.
You can probably get away with a short RCA audio cable though!!

I always wondered what the difference was.  I will confess when I did a ton of radio station DATs, I just used a short RCA.  The run was 3 feet.  Worked fine. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline fogelsong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
Somebody has released Win10 drivers for the M-Audio cards
There always is compatibility mode, and if you're bold, virtualization in Win10 that runs a WinXP virtual PC inside 10 with driver support.

Apologies for delayed response. I checked with M-Audio and the Delta Dio 2496 (the card I have) is not listed on their Windows 10 Support for M-Audio Products page - https://m-audio.com/kb/article/1882

Could you be more specific on Win10 drivers? Who is this "somebody" that has released Win10 drivers for the M-Audio cards?

I ran into an issue attempting to transfer one DAT due to it having a 32kHz sampling rate - unfortunately the Marantz PMD670 does not handle 32kHz digitally - just 44.1 and 48. I'd rather not do an analog transfer if I can avoid it, so utilizing the ol' Delta Dio 2496 is my best bet. And if you're wondering why that DAT is 32kHz sampling rate, they're radio broadcasts...

Does anyone know if there are working Windows 10 x64 drivers for the Delta Dio 2496 out there?

Offline adamz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »

The MicroTrack records to an SD card mounted in a CF card adapter. I take the SD card to my editing desktop PC.
I picked up a MicroTrack II that seems like new. So I'll give it a go.
Question: is there a limit on the SD Card in the CF adapter you speak of? The CF card I have is 3Gb which I'd rather be 512!
Thanks, great thread. Sorry IDK about windows 10 drivers for you.
AZ

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 09:46:14 PM »
32GB is a safe bet.

ive never found SDXC to be as reliable as SDHC, esp in equipment that old

test test test!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline adamz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
 :coolguy:

32GB is a safe bet.

ive never found SDXC to be as reliable as SDHC, esp in equipment that old

test test test!

Offline Barney

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 05:03:19 AM »
Hey,

I have a bunch of DATs I'd like to transfer too... Unfortunately, all my DAT machines seems to be dead. I checked maybe 10 years ago, and my Tascam DA302 and Sony TCD-D7 has diginoises when playing my DATs. The Tascam even had a tendency to eat my DATs...

My option is to buy a second hand DAT machine (32Khz/44.1Khz/48Khz) to make the transfer process. What kind of machine do you advise? What are the ones to be avoided?

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »
Hey,

I have a bunch of DATs I'd like to transfer too... Unfortunately, all my DAT machines seems to be dead. I checked maybe 10 years ago, and my Tascam DA302 and Sony TCD-D7 has diginoises when playing my DATs. The Tascam even had a tendency to eat my DATs...

My option is to buy a second hand DAT machine (32Khz/44.1Khz/48Khz) to make the transfer process. What kind of machine do you advise? What are the ones to be avoided?

I have a Tascam DA30. It has been fairly reliable after a tune up by a local tech sometimes it takes a couple of tries to  load a tape and it acts a little quirky sometimes,. I also have a Fostex D5 which has been a workhorse and plays every tape I throw at it with no errors.

I would avoid portable decks with half size heads and plastic gears. Go for a full size home/studio deck.

Other people recommend the Sony R500 very highly.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
ive ran about 100 dats in the last few days on 4x r500 and a 3700

looking at the files im seeing occasional issues that are hard to nail down, either card or recorder issues dropping the same 148 samples on multiple R500>pmd661 setups. microtrack II acted flaky with some channel swap/channel drop action.... but thats why i only do redundant.

most are going well considering they are over 20 years old. i only watch error counters, not ABS time . 4 of the 5 decks im running stay in the low single digits, the other one seems to be permanently in the 0010-0050 range and still transfers bit-accurately, no worse than the others when i compare. once in a great while a head clogs up but i think ive used a cleaning tape maybe once or twice in years

the R500s have a swab-type cleaning arm that cleans the head every 10-20 hours on powerup
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:44:47 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline fogelsong

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 08:29:49 PM »
I'll second that on avoiding portable DAT decks. I know at least a few people with Sony PCM-M1s that eat tapes now :(

My old Tascam DA-20mkii is still going strong.

If a deck simply will not open, that does not mean it's dead. It just means the grease that previously lubricated the moving parts inside has turned sticky and glue like. It can be fixed, but it's a PITA. See this thread over at tapeheads - http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=53001

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »
Hhb portadat. Unkillable.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »
Hhb portadat. Unkillable.

i have 2 over here that need servicing. one eats tapes and the other wont load them at all

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 01:13:46 PM »
I use an RME Multiface for anything requiring SPDIF capture. RME drivers still work on Windows 10.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »
I'm sure I've said this before but I thought my DATs were dying due to all the diginoise and gaps when trying to transfer them using a full size Sony machine.

Playback through the D8 I used to actually record them has thus far proved problem-free. A bit of light Googling revealed several people who'd had problems playing back "portable" tapes on a full size deck - sounds like the alignment had to be spot on to guarantee compatibility.

Currently transferring my DATs for hopefully the last time...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com