Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Philips VE1064 Mic with Schoeps m934 capsule - Anyone know anything about it?  (Read 8471 times)

Offline 0vu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
David, Thanks, again, very much, for all your information on this mic, and Schoeps general history. I look forward to reading your book.

Like you, I'm not particularly into the whole 'social media' thing. I do have a Twitter account (though have never twitted and don't plan to) which I only use for early notification of equipment listings on a particular used broadcast gear sales list and finding out which suppliers will be at various farmers' markets locally. I'll have a look for the Schoeps posts you mentioned.

Numbers on bits of old equipment always intrigue me. As they went to the trouble of stamping/engraving them, it'd be interesting to know what the 28 and 88 mean, even if it's just an internal parts reference of some sort.

Reading at the information you posted I'm very glad I didn't bother trying to trace out the circuit! It'd be fairly straightforward on a PCB but, with the point to point construction and density, it would be a bit of an exercise. I'll get a power supply for it and see what happens but if it doesn't work then I think I'll just keep it as a curiosity to look at and be impressed by the patience of the person who built it.

I keep forgetting about the team boards on here; I should probably have posted my query in there. I'll look in on them a bit more as I do like a good geek-out.

Thanks for the kind words about the pictures but the credit really should go to the nice people at Samsung who built and programmed the camera side of my phone. I do have a couple of digital cameras - just a fixed lens compact and a zoom bridge camera - but my other cameras are still stuck in the age of film in various formats and, as the phone seems to be able to produce quite useful pictures in good light, and easily can squirt them onto my NAS drive, I used that for convenience.

P.S. Incidentally, this morning, I came across a couple of interesting articles by one Rémy Lafaurie in the french magazine Sound Review from June and October 1964. Entitled "New contributions to the technique of solid-state electrostatic microphones" and "New solid-state condenser microphones from Schoeps" which talk about the CMT and include a circuit diagram, some technical discussion about how it works and some tech details of capsules, power supply, etc.. It's a little way down a thread on the Audiovintage.fr forum. There's also some interesting pictures and other stuff about mics used by/developed with ORTF (the broadcaster, not the mic technique)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:31:46 AM by 0vu »

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
There was an 8 V power adapter available on eBay. It could be configured for positive or negative ground, providing 8 V from standard P48 phantom power. I got a couple for my Sennheiser  MKH 110. Search "Phantom adapter module for Sennheiser MKH 110, MKH 104, MKH 404, MKH 804" or variants on that text. Be aware its just a bare, smd block on a tiny pcb; you have to wire it into a cable and housing. But it does work.

Thanks, GerardL, I'll check it out.

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
DSatz, it is nice, that you had visited East Berlin. It must be a good experience. You know very well what the conditions were. Ha ha, I didn't know that foreigners couldn't take out local money. An audio archive of interviews with interesting people from the WWII until the end of totalitarianism in 1989 was created in the Czech. These are very strong and interesting stories. There will certainly be some similar project in Germany about Deutsche Demokratische Republik. I think it's worth listening to a few stories for those who speak German.

The Eastern Block countries were a little different from each other. Maybe Hungary had different conditions. I was born in Czechoslovakia. I looked at the internet a bit and Czechoslovakia traded with for example West Germany, France, Holland, Denmark or Switzerland even during the fifties. The business was very small, but it existed. I do not know the exact business terms. Some trade agreements had to be concluded. Anyway, this wasn't a classic business. There were only twenty state-owned companies involved in foreign trade in Czechoslovakia. They were controlled by the government and had a lot of employees from the secret police. It only had to be traded through these companies. It was not possible otherwise during the whole period of totalitarianism 1948-1989. Hungary was freer, maybe trade was not so controlled and less official trade went through Austria. In what years was it? In the sixties? I never heard that the goods went to Czechoslovakia through Austria. But I can be wrong. I'll ask about it. I will also try to ask what was used for microphones in Czechoslovakia.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 04:14:25 PM by kuba e »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
This is getting farther and farther off-topic, but if you can possibly find out what microphones were typically used by Supraphon to record the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, I'd be very interested to know. As a conservatory student in the late 1960s, and afterward, I listened to every such LP that I could find--especially the ones conducted by the late Karel Ančerl.

Yes, what you said is exactly what I meant about the small number of companies in Eastern-bloc countries that did business with the West--their use of the small reservoir of hard currency was subject to strict political control.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sure, I'll find out. It will take a while. I don't know anyone from Supraphon, but I'll ask my friends. The Czech is small, I should get this information. As soon as I know something, I'll write.

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular

--I am very glad that you gave up the idea of tracing the amplifier circuit. There were a few different versions of it, but you can get a general idea of what's going on from the sketch shown in the materials from the U.S. distributor back then, "International Electroacoustics" (= the late, lamented Mr. Albert Grundy). Basically it's a comparator between a fixed oscillator and a variable oscillator that uses the capsule as its tuning/detuning element.

Sorry to get off topic but Al Grundy was a teacher of mine at the Institute of Audio Research, he taught studio design among other things, at the time he was both the President of the school and the AES, which made it all the more impressive when he offered to write my letter of recommendation which was not something he typically did. A great and incredibly intelligent man.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline Woodstock Recording

• Taperssection Newbie
Hi there.

Iam New here.

I just bought 4 Schoeps 221  with 9 capsules and all original PSU from
a 98 years young famous Dutch Engineer.

But many models capsules are strange , and I can’t find any information on the Internet.

And many Strange red glass rings / phase rings also and the engineer told me that Schoeps made some capsules and glass rings as a sample
And sended these to his Recording Studio in about 1959… and up.

Does anybody can help me to find out more please.

Love from The Netherlands - Michiel.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Hi there.

Iam New here.

I just bought 4 Schoeps 221  with 9 capsules and all original PSU from
a 98 years young famous Dutch Engineer.

But many models capsules are strange , and I can’t find any information on the Internet.

And many Strange red glass rings / phase rings also and the engineer told me that Schoeps made some capsules and glass rings as a sample
And sended these to his Recording Studio in about 1959… and up.

Does anybody can help me to find out more please.

Love from The Netherlands - Michiel.
Welcome Michiel. PM dsatz a TS member who has officially sanctioned historical knowledge of Shoeps microphones. If anyone on this board can answer this question, I bet it is him.

OR, contact Jerry Bruckheimer, he is the USA rep for Schoeps, and he knows their history also.
POSTHORN RECORDINGS
142 West 26th Street
New York, NY 10001-6814
(212) 242-3737
 jbruck@posthorn.com
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Um, Jerry Bruckheimer is an extremely successful Hollywood movie producer--disaster epics and such. I think you mean Jerry Bruck, but he retired as the Schoeps representative over 20 years ago now, and passed the reins to Redding Audio. He continued recording for a few more years but eventually had to give that up for health reasons. His company, Posthorn Recordings, remains a Schoeps dealer.

1959, you say? That's on the cusp between the M 221 A series (a/k/a with a very slight difference in wiring the Ela M 155) and the M 221 B series which was introduced in 1960. Please look at the threads on the capsules. If they face inward, that's the M 221 B series. If they face outward, they're M 155 or M 221 A.

If you'd like to tell me more particulars, such as the capsule type designations, I'd be glad to identify them for you. If you feel as if it's too specialized for public discussion, feel free to join the "Team Schoeps" thread which is currently on https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192489.330 -- no amount of Schoeps geekery is considered excessive over there.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:55:13 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
You know the funniest part of your correction is that I have done that transposition before in both conversation and typing e-mails. Sorry Michiel. He was an interesting NYC based character when we met him in the 1980's at the AES. Bruck, that is. I won't correct my post as we have double correction here!  >:D
More importantly is that dsatz is THE person with this knowledge for you Michiel.  :coolguy:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 09:49:51 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com