Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are my online shopping options of windscreens/dead rats these days?  (Read 5937 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
I know a lot of us finally have shows coming up, including a lot of outdoor ones. I thought some discussion on this might be helpful. I'm not really sure where to buy windscreens for my Naks. I wanted to support TS retailers but it looks like the member making them hasn't been in production for several years now. Which online retailers would be helpful for this?
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
I know a lot of us finally have shows coming up, including a lot of outdoor ones. I thought some discussion on this might be helpful. I'm not really sure where to buy windscreens for my Naks. I wanted to support TS retailers but it looks like the member making them hasn't been in production for several years now. Which online retailers would be helpful for this?

B&H ?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
I can’t speak to the size, but I’ve used that ballistic Movo for years at outdoor shows, including Red Rocks a couple of times. It works really well at cutting out the wind noise. It’s much better than the WindTech 1200 with dead rats that I use indoors for a/c and fans.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline jagraham

Just ordered 2 of the Movo WST 50 3cm. Thanks for the advice. Have they held up well outside with no rats ?
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
So far, they've kept wind noise under control, even without rats.

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
What size of movo do I need for DPA402X?

Need to order some.

Thanks in advance.

-p
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Another strong vote for the Movo WST screens. BTW, the "3cm" size are not sold everywhere. Besides the manufacturer site listed above, Adorama has them.

phil_er_up: That's the size you want for your DPAs.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
Great thread thanks I just picked up the 3cm for my TF-5 mics. I was astounded by how much wind got through the Røde brand rats my first use with them  ::) Fortunately it was only vocal and guitar because I had to roll off a ton of low end. I rarely tape outdoors so I can’t justify the Rycote Super Softies; hopefully these will get close enough.

Should the mic be inserted to bottom out in the inner foam or left a little shy?

-james

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Another strong vote for the Movo WST screens. BTW, the "3cm" size are not sold everywhere. Besides the manufacturer site listed above, Adorama has them.

phil_er_up: That's the size you want for your DPAs.
Thank you Voltronic. It is appreciated.
Will order some.

Get leaks of wind burst at shows sometimes using the supplied DPA wind screens even with home made Dead Rats. Seems like the supplied DPA wind screens can take maybe 10-15 MPH before the wind affects the mics sound. With the supplied DPA wind screens and my Home made dead rats can take up to 30-35 MPH though they sometimes will have wind leak through the dead rats and affect the mics sound.

Is the general consensus that you do or don't need "Dead rats" over the Movo to protect the mics from the wind?
If you need "dead rats" over the Movo - Where do you buy them?

Thanks again.

-p

Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
I use the furry movo's and have never had an issue!  the ones above are supposedly better than the furry ones I have....
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
I use the furry movo's and have never had an issue!  the ones above are supposedly better than the furry ones I have....

I have both Movo types (ballistic and furry) and have found that the furry works quite well, but the ballistic is the better of the two IMO.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com