Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Level Dropout On One Channel  (Read 1706 times)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Audio Level Dropout On One Channel
« on: September 01, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
Last night, I was running ck63 > nbobs > babynbox > pcm-a10 and noticed that my level on the left channel had cut by around 10 db when compared to the right channel halfway through the night. Rechargeable and recorder were fully charged.

Anyone had this happen before? I hope it's not my capsule going out...

Here's a screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/jTFJI8e
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 10:01:27 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Audio Level Dropout On One Channel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Last night, I was running ck63 > nbobs > babynbox > pcm-a10 and noticed that my level on the left channel had cut by around 10 db when compared to the right channel halfway through the night. Rechargeable and recorder were fully charged.

Anyone had this happen before? I hope it's not my capsule going out...

Here's a screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/jTFJI8e
At times like these, I think it's best to test each part of the signal chain systematically. Set it up in front of your stereo and switch cables, eliminate items when possible, etc. to try and isolate where the issue is.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
I've had that happen occasionally, seemingly when batteries are starting to die — first one channel lowers in volume, then often the other an hour or two later. I haven't 100% diagnosed it, though, as it's tough to replicate.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
I can't run my stereo right now, but it looks like it may be the capsule. I ran a test tone at max volume with my headphones and one capsule is a few decibels lower than the other, confirmed by swapping the capsule to the other channel. The problem with AKG is there's really no one outside of Richard Land to repair and I'd like to avoid.

So I just bought a set of mk41  :cheers:

Anyone looking for akg nbobs or a single ck63? I'll probably sell the other capsule on ebay or reverb

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »
I can't run my stereo right now, but it looks like it may be the capsule. I ran a test tone at max volume with my headphones and one capsule is a few decibels lower than the other, confirmed by swapping the capsule to the other channel. The problem with AKG is there's really no one outside of Richard Land to repair and I'd like to avoid.

Anyone looking for akg nbobs or a single ck63? I'll probably sell the other capsule on ebay or reverb
That's one way to solve it!

Make sure that where the bad capsule connects to the body is making good contact and is clean (I use Caig DeoxIT, but any good contact cleaner will do).

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »

That's one way to solve it!

Make sure that where the bad capsule connects to the body is making good contact and is clean (I use Caig DeoxIT, but any good contact cleaner will do).

I'll try the Deoxit. I have contact cleaner as well, so I'll try that first. Thanks for smacking some sense into me  :)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 07:50:24 AM »
Be careful with contact cleaners. Not all of them are safe to use wirh plastics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com