Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there an ideal taping location?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Is there an ideal taping location?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »
^That can be an ideal taper position, essentially stage lip, providing stack-tape clarity of the PA content supporting good lively on-stage dynamics and depth, with audience reaction behind you.  However it can be a bit of a gamble as it is often uncertain beforehand what if anything will be in that fill and its level, depending on how necessary that content is to a balanced recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2022, 04:28:01 PM »
alot of venues hang the spkrs so it is hard to get close to them.

Oh yeah I should clarify that Turner Hall did have in-fill speakers placed on each side of the stage, and THAT was where I chose to "stack" it back in '08

Turner Hall is boomy, and it's in Milwaukee so you'll definitely get a drinking crowd! Stack tape, MotB or a tall stand at the board are the options I've run there. Stack tapes had the least crowd by far.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:29:42 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2022, 01:01:49 AM »
often uncertain beforehand what if anything will be in that fill and its level

agreed that this can be a big gamble. Been to plenty shows where there were front fills that weren't used, so I usually wouldn't aim up there unless it's a band I'd otherwise be ok with stage taping anyway.

Offline Top Hat

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2023, 12:47:42 PM »
Board + Stage ORTF (Cards) if allowed and band not using in ears, or in the sound cage using the production area as a quiet bubble get the mics up high like 10-12ft. If the venue is ok with it...run a stealth rig clamped to the light rigging there mics dropped a couple feet below. This would require a ladder or lft, I have done this before but knew the GM and PM of the venue there was also a ladder at the venue...most will have them.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 12:53:27 PM by Top Hat »

Offline loughney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2023, 07:52:46 PM »
Adding my two cents (or is it sense) ... ideal varies on the band, the venue and the crowd (and the bar).  For a respectful crowd in a not overfull room, center of room.  For a loud crowd, I move forward. If there's a big mosh pit, I will take several giant steps back.  Some venues will have a side bar or back bar, and I try to make sure the bar is as behind me as possible.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com