Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixing a SBD Feed  (Read 2561 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Mixing a SBD Feed
« on: January 28, 2023, 05:36:05 PM »
I’ve been recording Steely Dead for a few years now, probably 30ish shows, in collaboration with the band.

I’ve been running a pair of mk41s along with a SBD feed. Over time, I’ve found I most like the sound of the mics when they’re placed a bit downstage of the high-hat. Kind of like uber-over heads.

I have used a L/R PA feed, as I have w other bands like Los Lobos. Mostly b/c that’s what’s easy for them. But ahead of last week’s SD tour, I was thinking about their switch to IEMs, and what that would mean for stage sound. I figured that no vocals would be main impact. Then it occurred to me that since I would get my feed as 2 aux bus output channels from the Behringer  iem mixer, possibilities opened up.

Rather than L/R, I considered what I wanted to get to supplement the ambient pair. I decided to go with 1 channel of vocals, and 1 with bass, guitar, and keys. At the first show soundcheck, I had the boys individually sing and then play their instrument, and matched their levels. I used an ios app for the Behringer that made it easy. A pair of drummer’s isolating headphones allowed me to hear enough during the show to tweak levels a bit.

Home from tour and listening/mixing, I’m happy with the results and think it sounds better than before.

Here’s a link on the archive:
https://archive.org/details/sd2023-01-21/sd20230121.matrix.2448-06.flac

Wondering if anyone else is working similarly, and/or has ideas.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mixing a SBD Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 10:25:05 PM »
Are you creating the info files as well? If so gotta give you a ribbing.

"03. Tied To The Mast"

Any major dude well tell you the song is called "Home At Last"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5ZlTyzU-k
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:30:17 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 11:52:25 PM »
Are SBD vocals or instruments ever panned in stereo? Keyboards are, I bet.
Why not use two channels for each SBD group? Sounds good overall but the entire stereo effect comes from the mic pair.
If you're out of channels, I get that, but it looks like you have six available if you're using a MixPre6!?!

edit, a major dic...tionary dude will tell ya to spell check Bodhisattva too... lol.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 11:55:25 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 12:14:48 AM »
Totally agree. Vocals are often mostly center, but instruments get panned.

Lots of room on the MP6, no more outputs for me on the Behringer.

Was thinking I could use rx9 to separate the bass from the keys/guitar, and send bass R and others L, which is how they are on stage.

Thanks!

Recordings at LMA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 12:22:44 AM »
Lots of room on the MP6, no more outputs for me on the Behringer.

What Behringer? Some old analog one?
X32 has a whole row of 8 assignable XLR "Omni" outputs.
Like the Yamaha LS9, it LOOKS LIKE it should be a touch screen but it's not.
The knobs under the display of the X32 click in addition to turning.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 10:04:24 AM »
If the whole band is on IEMs it would quickly fill the outputs of an X32.

That said, my preference in that situation is to actually build out a full band mix, so you’re getting essentially a better LR feed, and then use the mics for ambiance. You could essentially mix it live for your recording using headphones or your own in ears, and then you’re just a step away from being their monitor/FOH tech

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 10:11:39 AM »
"Boddisatva"?

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 11:52:46 AM »
Seems like consensus is more channels ftw.

The band is dragging a rack mount x18 on tour so space is tight. An x32 would be nice, but $1600...

I've also thought of a line splitter, likely w transformers, and an mp-10. Mix in post.

Thanks all for the input.

Recordings at LMA

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 12:05:57 PM »
The band is dragging a rack mount x18 on tour so space is tight. An x32 would be nice, but $1600...

Pretty sure I brought this up when you first asked about the board, but you can get full multis from the x18 via a single USB connection, no need to get more isolated outs (either direct or via aux) from the board to your deck. If they have the free inputs you could even add your mics to the board and get them via multi that way and free yourself of some extra gear. If you're starting to dabble in getting isolated channels, this is the way to go IMO. If you want to avoid dealing with full multis, you can basically do what you did with the 2ch out and just use vox + a few instruments with more flexibility of panning, volume adjustments between instruments, etc...

The mix linked definitely has nice clarity, but it has kinda a weird wet/dry thing going on imo with the wet, stage mic'd drums and crazy ambiance off to the right side, with the dry vox

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 03:20:25 PM »
Pretty sure I brought this up when you first asked about the board, but you can get full multis from the x18 via a single USB connection, no need to get more isolated outs (either direct or via aux) from the board to your deck. If they have the free inputs you could even add your mics to the board and get them via multi that way and free yourself of some extra gear. If you're starting to dabble in getting isolated channels, this is the way to go IMO. If you want to avoid dealing with full multis, you can basically do what you did with the 2ch out and just use vox + a few instruments with more flexibility of panning, volume adjustments between instruments, etc...

The mix linked definitely has nice clarity, but it has kinda a weird wet/dry thing going on imo with the wet, stage mic'd drums and crazy ambiance off to the right side, with the dry vox
Thanks! You did mention before, but somehow I interpreted as meaning 'plug in a usb stick' and found that the x18 doesn't do that. I can, however, run usb out to my Macbook Pro. It's kinda heavy, but I bring it on tour already so I can keep up with day job. Love the idea of adding my ambients, I hope there's a couple open inputs. Really appreciate the reminder, will test in April on NorCal tour.

Regards,
Chris

Recordings at LMA

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 03:55:02 PM »

Thanks! You did mention before, but somehow I interpreted as meaning 'plug in a usb stick' and found that the x18 doesn't do that. I can, however, run usb out to my Macbook Pro. It's kinda heavy, but I bring it on tour already so I can keep up with day job. Love the idea of adding my ambients, I hope there's a couple open inputs. Really appreciate the reminder, will test in April on NorCal tour.

Regards,
Chris

Ah yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear! Should just be a printer style USB B > A cable straight out of the back of the board

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com