Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

anyone run Talentcell with Mixpre6 ii?

(1/3) > >>

phatdats:
looking for a little info - running my mixpre with a newly acquired talentcell (finally ditched the DVD batteries  :yack:.  )  using a 12v->Hirose with the Cable Techniques sled. of course when I powered the deck up, the message flashed about voltage and the "AA" battery setting so I changed it to "L" Mount.  the battery meter on the deck showed about 50% from start to finish and never moved.  the talentcell lost one led over two sets of Bobby.

so - the question is:  is there any way to calibrate the deck display or am i just being picky because I can clearly get 2 or 3 shows worth from this battery.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Steve

jbell:
With the Mixpre 6 when using the hirose sled that is the way the mp6 battery meter will operate.  You will have to depend on the Talentcell meter for battery runtimes. 

--- Quote from: phatdats on March 01, 2023, 02:57:52 PM ---looking for a little info - running my mixpre with a newly acquired talentcell (finally ditched the DVD batteries  :yack:.  )  using a 12v->Hirose with the Cable Techniques sled. of course when I powered the deck up, the message flashed about voltage and the "AA" battery setting so I changed it to "L" Mount.  the battery meter on the deck showed about 50% from start to finish and never moved.  the talentcell lost one led over two sets of Bobby.

so - the question is:  is there any way to calibrate the deck display or am i just being picky because I can clearly get 2 or 3 shows worth from this battery.

Steve

--- End quote ---

phatdats:

Thanks Jbell!  shouldn't I be thinking of the draw of the mixpre vs. talentcell discharge rate?  like for example I remember with SLA (which I know has a way more gradual discharge slope vs li-ion) would stop powering my V2 at a certain point but still have enough juice to power my D8 :laugh:

Steve

--- Quote from: jbell on March 01, 2023, 05:09:23 PM ---With the Mixpre 6 when using the hirose sled that is the way the mp6 battery meter will operate.  You will have to depend on the Talentcell meter for battery runtimes. 

--- Quote from: phatdats on March 01, 2023, 02:57:52 PM ---looking for a little info - running my mixpre with a newly acquired talentcell (finally ditched the DVD batteries  :yack:.  )  using a 12v->Hirose with the Cable Techniques sled. of course when I powered the deck up, the message flashed about voltage and the "AA" battery setting so I changed it to "L" Mount.  the battery meter on the deck showed about 50% from start to finish and never moved.  the talentcell lost one led over two sets of Bobby.

Steve

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

ts:

Steve

--- End quote ---

There's at least 3 hirose sleds available for the mix pres. I bet a firmware update has addressed this. SD even sells one. Can't imagine them not fixing this in a frmware update.

commongrounder:
I have the Cable Techniques Hirose sled and get the same battery gauge indication on my MixPre. I checked the output voltage  on the CT sled and it’s internal DC-DC converter outputs a constant 7.2 volts until the power source drops below ~9 volts, then it loses regulation and drops out. The MixPre battery gauge range in L-mount mode is full at 8.4volts to empty at 6.3volts, so it follows that 7.2 volts will stick the gauge in the middle. As we know, a 2S lithium-ion pack used in L-mount batteries has a nominal 8.2-8.4 max charge voltage, so this all makes sense. Cable Techniques was clever to choose the 7.2 volts, because that allows the battery supplying power to discharge a bit more if it’s able, giving additional run time. As jbell said, one must monitor the gauge on the battery pack itself to determine remaining charge. The MixPre has no way to know that information, as it only sees the steady voltage.
BTW, a USB power bank works with the USB-C input on the Mixpre 3/6 exactly the same way, except with a steady 5.0 volts.
Hope this is useful.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version