Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Sonic Studios DSM-6 questions

<< < (4/4)

neutrino:
I really wanted to like the Sonic Studio mics as some of the samples I heard shortly after they were released were really stellar. But I was recording a lot of loud guitar rock bands in small to medium sized indoor venues and immediately dealt with a lot of distorted recordings that were very bass heavy. I upgraded to the models that could handle higher spl's and again with the battery box module that had bass role. They just ended up being a money pit that continuously produced unremarkable results. I quickly realized that I needed to jump ship to DPA's which solved both the SPL handling issue and the bass roll-off issues. If only I had bought a pair of MK4's in the late eighties.

SxPxDxCx:

--- Quote from: neutrino on February 05, 2024, 02:26:10 AM ---I really wanted to like the Sonic Studio mics as some of the samples I heard shortly after they were released were really stellar. But I was recording a lot of loud guitar rock bands in small to medium sized indoor venues and immediately dealt with a lot of distorted recordings that were very bass heavy. I upgraded to the models that could handle higher spl's and again with the battery box module that had bass role. They just ended up being a money pit that continuously produced unremarkable results. I quickly realized that I needed to jump ship to DPA's which solved both the SPL handling issue and the bass roll-off issues. If only I had bought a pair of MK4's in the late eighties.

--- End quote ---

Ok interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

tapeheadtoo:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on January 30, 2024, 04:10:05 PM ---He did.  I always admired Leonard's right angle mini-plugs as too.  Not sure exactly how he did it or what they were cast from, epoxy likely.

--- End quote ---

I still have two pairs of those epoxy right angles he made for me.  It will be a sad, sad day if I ever lose them.  Sounds strange but they are the most priceless pieces of gear in my kit as they are irreplaceable.

phil_er_up:
Ran my Sonic Studios DSM-6 into a sony D6 for many years. It can make good recordings. Easy to record with on glasses. Still have mine. Ran it once with the sony M10 with PIP and it worked. Makes binaural recordings.

Here is one of my recordings that came out pretty well:
https://archive.org/details/NMB2008-08-21

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version