Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (COMPLETE!!!)  (Read 26530 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations...
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2005, 06:28:56 PM »
Well I am basing that statement more on the relative size of the units than anything else.  The PMD-660 looks somewhat comparable to the FlashTracker.  The 670 and 671 are just bigger units and do not seem to be as easy to stealth with.  Not that they can't be used to stealth but just not as easy in most situations.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2005, 08:25:35 PM »
Oh, yes... I am back, and I will reply, just like I promised I would in my opening post.  ;D I may be a newbie in THIS forum, but I'm no newbie to forums, and with all of that great feedback, there's not a chance in h3ll that I wouldn't come back and participate.

Now, first of all, I must thank all of you for your suggestions (and enthusiasm!). My plan is to do a ton of homework on this topic (I've already clocked 10+ hours reading/lurking threads in this forum since last week BEFORE I even posted this) and to execute on a plan sometime in the next month or so. I'm NOT in a rush, I want to find the best solution for my needs and within my budget, and I'm perfectly willing to do a ton of research. So, that said, it's going to take me a while to digest what's already been written in this thread, and I'm sure even more will probably get posted considering how hardcore you guys are (SMILE). So, don't think for a minute I'm one of those post-and-dash to never return types. I tracked this forum down because it obviously had people who were knowledgeable and passionate about the subject, so don't worry, I haven't abadoned the thread -- I JUST STARTED IT!!!

Anyway, like I said, I'm going to need time to digest this stuff, but in the meantime, maybe it would help if I expand on my deal. So, yes I am somewhat of a newbie, but I'm not some total idiot. Remember, I'm way into video, and with that comes some audio -- hell my GS400 tapes at 16-bit 48kz. My wife works at a well known conservatory of music here in the Bay Area, which is one of my motivations because I see a ton of great live music by incredibly talented but unknown musicians all of the time (I'm actually thinking about making a doco on something related to this). Just for laughs, I was that guy in middle school and high school who taped the school plays and shit. I'm 36 now, and a total tech and home entertainment junkie. I write financial software for a living (among other things), so I'm basically a huge geek, so tech doesn't scare me (sounds like I'll fit right in around here). I'm a fast learner on this type of thing, and I've spent the past two weeks getting up to speed on the basics -- balanced/non-balanced, polarity, a/d, pre's, formats (16- vs. 24bit, PCM, MP3, blah, blah), stereo, mono, plugs/cables, etc. Now some of this I was already familiar with (XLR, 1/4 TRS, mini, balanced, unbal, etc.), but needed some refreshment, still other areas I obviously need more work (what makes a good mic, when should I use cardioid vs. omni, etc.). Anyway, I'm getting there, and I'm taking it slow and steady but also seriously because I don't want to drop this kind of cash and end up with shit that doesn't fit my needs. That was a long-winded way of saying that I'm probably not your typical newbie, and I'm not going to be scared of some complicated pre/mixer/ad box or whatever. I'm realistic that it might take a while to get up to speed, but I want a good and flexible system that's just shy of pro standards (that sweet spot on price vs. value if you know what I mean), and I want to know how to best use it when doing stand-alone taping, taping that will be mixed/synced with video, and/or stealthing.

So, these suggestions are EXACTLY what I'm looking for (THANK YOU), and I can't believe the thread is already 3 pages long (athough there was some fluff in there  :P too). I'm a little hesitant to go for the used gear from people I don't know, but it does seem that there is a tight knit core crew here that might vouch for whomever is selling gear, which makes me more likely to go that route. Also, I'm just starting to understand what some of the modded hardware is and why it needs to have a mod, but the whole modding thing makes me cringe a bit (spoken like a true former xbox modder). Although, I understand that might also be a great way to go.

And on one final note, I'm very interested in the MicroTrack for a whole bunch of reasons which have been hammered to death in the part I-III threads, not the least of which is that it can be paired with other high-end gear to go HQ to the max (using it basically as a storage facility only), but it also can be used stand-alone in situations that don't need to be quite as pro, or when paired with some stealth mics for a really small concealable setup. That said, I wouldn't trust that thing at all until I let all of you freaks get a crack at it first in the field... LMAO!!! So, I think I'll be timing my purchases for sometime a few weeks after the first reviews start coming in. If it looks good, I'll probably go that way (with my luck, it'll be instantly backordered), if it doesn't I'll go another route. This timing should work well for me because I'll get to hear the reviews, plus I'll get about a month to keep researching and getting up to speed on the whole package I need.

THANKS A BUNCH FOR RESPONDING!!! BE BACK SOON...

-- Taint
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:35:18 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2005, 08:40:18 PM »
glad to see you come back!

+T  :)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2005, 10:04:58 PM »
Welcome back as well!  We all may whine, bitch, groan and tear at each other but we all have the same love of the craft!

Sounds like you are already on your way!

+T

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2005, 01:28:11 AM »
This thread is a hoot!  Welcome tainted!  +T

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2005, 07:35:13 AM »
we get all excited spending other peoples money.
:)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2005, 08:10:10 AM »

And on one final note, I'm very interested in the MicroTrack for a whole bunch of reasons which have been hammered to death in the part I-III threads...

-- Taint

talk about some threads with fluff ::)  welcome taint, you'll fit right in around here.
we all live downstream.

Ray76

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2005, 08:34:45 AM »

And on one final note, I'm very interested in the MicroTrack for a whole bunch of reasons which have been hammered to death in the part I-III threads...

-- Taint

talk about some threads with fluff ::)  welcome taint, you'll fit right in around here.
:lol:

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 03:29:42 PM »
If I were you, I'd get ADK TL > Tmod+ UA-5 > JB3, or the AKG 480's. The + mod will give you better analog outs to run to your camera. If you decide you want to spend more, you can upgrade to a flashtracker or nicer preamp/AD. Spend all you can on the mics they will make the biggest difference in your recordings.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:31:33 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:06:12 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2005, 08:19:52 AM »
there is a Wmod ua5 AND c4s and stand AND stereo bar for 750 bucks in the yard sale..

Teddy you are the man!  I never read the Yard Sale anymore I just follow your posts.  Need to refer to you as Mr. Yard Sale from now on.  +T

Tainted, 

If I can make a suggestion.  Try looking for a pair of AKG 390's with some actives.  These would satisfy your need for great mics with the ability to run on a stand or to stealth with.  In addition there have been several UA5's in the "BigRay" Yard Sale at really good prices.   Stands always come up for sale used and I know alot of folks have found great deals for stands on ebay as well.    As far as the MicroTracker is concerned, always wait until you have to, to buy CF media.  Prices are always dropping and capacity is always increasing.  Seems like most folks either like MicroDrives or they dislike them.  I have never had a problem with one and I have a couple of them.  They are quite a bit cheaper than CF cards and will work with the MicroTracker.

Good luck to ya +T

its taper eat taper.

Maybe at your kind of party.....

;D

Now, for the question:  DPA4061s.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:23:24 AM by s*9#$5%6^3) »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Ray76

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2005, 08:28:03 AM »
there is a Wmod ua5 AND c4s and stand AND stereo bar for 750 bucks in the yard sale..

Teddy you are the man!  I never read the Yard Sale anymore I just follow your posts.  Need to refer to you as Mr. Yard Sale from now on.  +T

Tainted, 

If I can make a suggestion.  Try looking for a pair of AKG 390's with some actives.  These would satisfy your need for great mics with the ability to run on a stand or to stealth with.  In addition there have been several UA5's in the "BigRay" Yard Sale at really good prices.   Stands always come up for sale used and I know alot of folks have found great deals for stands on ebay as well.    As far as the MicroTracker is concerned, always wait until you have to, to buy CF media.  Prices are always dropping and capacity is always increasing.  Seems like most folks either like MicroDrives or they dislike them.  I have never had a problem with one and I have a couple of them.  They are quite a bit cheaper than CF cards and will work with the MicroTracker.

Good luck to ya +T

its taper eat taper.

Maybe at your kind of party.....

;D

Now, for the question:  DPA4061s.

:clapping: :clapping: :coolguy: :flipa:

youre the one that listens to bright eyes.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2005, 08:41:36 AM »
Contrare.... never heard that emo beeotch in my life.... except on the ACL after wilco, that I promptly turned off.   I'm the one who likes DEATH FUCKIN' METAL. >:D >:D
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Ray76

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2005, 08:45:50 AM »
Contrare.... never heard that emo beeotch in my life.... except on the ACL after wilco, that I promptly turned off.   I'm the one who likes DEATH FUCKIN' METAL. >:D >:D

hehe! I hear you. ;D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »
I went from mosh pits (slayer, nuclear assault, destruction, creator..etc) straight into the embrace of the Grateful Dead.

not sure how it happened.
I still love good deth metal, but am only interested in the "classics".
that said, I say reign in blood and peace sells were the best.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com