Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (COMPLETE!!!)  (Read 27003 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: $1,500+ to Burn... Need EXPERIENCED Recommendations... (GETTING CLOSER)
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2005, 01:29:46 PM »
So, it seems like the Walmart battery combined with ratshack adapter cables are the way to go for UA5 power.

Yes, that's a fine option, one many people use today.

I'm under the impression you can actually put two batteries in the unit at once?

Check the NJB3 Tapers FAQ.

where is the best place to nab another battery, eBay knowckoffs or the yardsale I assume?

Yes.

On the mic stand and positioning bar (#3 & #4), I have no clue, but I'd like something that can stand pretty tall (nothing crazy though), is not a total tank in weight terms but still sturdy, and something that'll give me the flexibility to position my C4's in a variety of orientations for stereo pickup.

For both 3 and 4, check the TS Knowledge Base | Archive | Mics & Setup forum for posts on mic stand options and mic mount bars.

Am I missing anything crucial (besides the obvious XLR cables and whatnot), like adapters or ?????

Depending on the mic stand you get, you'll likely need adapters in order to mate the mic mount bar with the stand.  See the aforementioned Archive mic stand post for details.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2005, 01:33:28 PM »
one hugely important suggestion I forgot to make both when I bought my rig and when I suggested a rig above:  splurge on microphones (that is the most important part of your rig in my opinion, and even the best sounding room or the most state of the art recording device will not make average or cheap microphones sound like great microphones)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2005, 02:06:10 PM »
If you want a taste of the C4 > Busman2+ UA-5, I have a Sam Bush show going in the Kickdown section.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2005, 02:08:45 PM »
one hugely important suggestion I forgot to make both when I bought my rig and when I suggested a rig above:  splurge on microphones (that is the most important part of your rig in my opinion, and even the best sounding room or the most state of the art recording device will not make average or cheap microphones sound like great microphones)

So what are you saying? My choice of C4s and AT943s are bad ones?  ;D

Yeah, I know about the mics being #1, but I am building a "starter rig" after all, and I think it'll end up being a pretty good one at the end of the day -- not a pro rig, but damn good nonetheless. Plus, I can always sell the C4s and AT943s later for a decent price, so I'm feeling alright about those choices. But feel free to suggest others and convince me otherwise.  :P
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »
the shock mounts for the c4s aren't the best ever, but they are fairly lowprofile and do the job - I don't believe that the ats will fit in the c4 shock mounts, they are fixed size and made for 19/20mm mics, but you probably won't need shockmounts that fit the stealth mics as you will be wearing them when you stealth and probably running the c4s or other full body mics when you run open

you will also need an optical cable to go from ua-5 > jb3, mic cables, possibly better windscreens if you are gonna be taping anything outdoors, a gear bag, and you probably want to pick up a clamp (never know when you will need one)

a stand adapter may be needed for the stand you purchase, you can find them at www.micsupply.com

a t-bar is used to mount the shockmounts/mic clips to the stand, the more common ones used are the akg km-235 and the shure a27 about $15/20 and $50/60 respectiveley or there are plenty of other options. if you go the route of the c4s they include a small t-bar which you can use but doesn't offer many options

as far as your mics go - for the ~$300 price range you can go c4/octava mc-012/ nak 300 - which is best seems to be a matter of opinion, all should be fairly easy to find used and will hold a pretty good resale value. i don't have any stealth mics so I can't really comment there, although the AT 853s seem to be pretty popular.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline grider

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2005, 02:57:58 PM »
no, nothing wrong with those choices at all, but you might want to look into the pair of Audix's that have been for sale in the Yard Sale for ever instead, they are nice and small and the price is nice and they come with card and hyper card caps; what I was really suggesting that you ***not*** do what I did when I bought my rig,which was spend more than I should have on a new DAP1 dat machine ($1450) and a new MiniMe ($1200) and then buy very good mics which I'll just replace with better mics soon; what I should have done was buy great mics like Schoeps or DAP with active cables and a used preamp and a used JB3 for the same amount of money, which was a huge mistake considering the DAP1 will soon be obsolete and the MiniMe was sold for a loss within a year of owning it; again, I say scrounge up as much money as you can for the best mics you can afford, buy a used UA5 and a used JB3, and then just upgrade the UA5 down the road when you can afford it; these are merely suggestions however, I have learned these lessons the hard way meaning the financial way

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2005, 03:55:46 PM »
one hugely important suggestion I forgot to make both when I bought my rig and when I suggested a rig above:  splurge on microphones (that is the most important part of your rig in my opinion, and even the best sounding room or the most state of the art recording device will not make average or cheap microphones sound like great microphones)

So what are you saying? My choice of C4s and AT943s are bad ones?  ;D

Yeah, I know about the mics being #1, but I am building a "starter rig" after all, and I think it'll end up being a pretty good one at the end of the day -- not a pro rig, but damn good nonetheless. Plus, I can always sell the C4s and AT943s later for a decent price, so I'm feeling alright about those choices. But feel free to suggest others and convince me otherwise.  :P

would 575$ for the Audix convince you?  they are tiny! and nice sound...
575$ would get your the micro's, with card and hyper caps, 1 set of 12 ft cords and the original boxes(hardwood) as well as a small pelican case with custom foam. I have over 650$ in these.  Its a damn good deal, but i can't upgrade to new mics until i move these (im looking at some neumanns i think, maybe some mbho's) but this will get me half way there! 
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline grider

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2005, 04:31:49 PM »
I'd suggest those Audix's over the others, no doubt about it

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2005, 08:09:11 AM »
same here.  the audixs over the others.
but honestly, i've never heard the c4s so I dont know how they compare.  I have run the audix mics, and I do know that they sound very good, and are stealthable.

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2005, 01:04:38 AM »
Audix for sure, it's worth the extra money.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2005, 11:04:04 AM »
Not sure about the Audix guys, maybe as an upgrade later. I might just start with the AT943s because a fair amount of stealthing may be in my future -- and yes, I know those micros can be stealthed, but still not as easily as the 943s. Also, I want OMNI and CARD caps, not really hypers. Do they make omni caps for those micros? If so, how much?

Anyway, here's some more updates about my rig. I'm about to buy the following items from B&H:

- Bogen / Manfrotto 3333 Stand
- K&M 8" Hinged Microphone Support Bar (same as ADK bar)
- Two adapters to change the light stand stud to mic stand 5/8"
- Two more small adapters (5/8-3/8-5/8) to act as riser for one side of stereo bar for XY configs

Still need battery power for the UA5 and an extra JB3 battery...

Getting there!!!   ;D
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2005, 12:18:18 PM »
yes, they have omni's....i have some shows with the omni's up on archive...i had borrowed the from John Kelly...you can get the set for around 200$ from Frank at Cascade...if I was planning on keeping the mics..I would def purchase them...to me..they are the best sounding caps of the three..but I am a huge fan of omni's...

you will like those at's...i know it...  The audix are just a good step up...and mine are selling cheap...ive just got the upgrade bug...no worries tho...that upgrade bug will hit you sooner than you expect!!  >:D >:D  good luck.
'
bj
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2005, 01:18:01 PM »
Whichever mics you choose, good luck!  The at's can produce some great sound in the right environment.  I also own those audix mics and i taped a small portion of a "they might be giants" show a while back and it sounded great, but security were acting very goon-like that night so i quickly shut down to avoid being busted.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2005, 12:29:14 AM »

More updates...

I added a manfrotto super clamp and extension arm to my B&H order.

Just received my NIB JB3 today from JDM. Got the Nomad XP drivers installed, upgraded the JB3 firmware to latest version, installed Nomad Explorer, and my Firewire connection is working flawlessly. Yeah!   ;D

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2005, 01:03:07 AM »
I didn't read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested:

DPA 406x>MMA 6000>JB3 yet?

No matter what you're running behind the AT minis they're just not gonna sound as good as higher grade mics.  You can even pick up a pair of Pelusos brand new for around $500 without the extra caps...not so much considering the ATs or C4s are gonna cost 200-300 anyway.  Just something else to consider instead of buying mics you're gonna ditch for a loss later.
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com