Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Removing Loud Wind Noise From Recording?  (Read 5248 times)

thierryhenry

• Trade Count: (0)
Removing Loud Wind Noise From Recording?
« on: February 03, 2006, 12:34:53 AM »
So I was at the Ottobar in Baltimore, Deerhoof's set was almost over, but the last 15 minutes of the show (and tape) they turn on these two HUGE overhead fans on, and I am right under them, I really can't move as it is packed and I left my windscreens in the car ( I know, I know). Anyway, is there anyway to salvage those last 15 minutes of the tape? The rest of the tape sounds brillant, and the last 15 is audible just the noise of the wind against the mics is horridly obvious. Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Removing Loud Wind Noise From Recording?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:40:42 AM »
You can HPF to try and tame it, but odds are it will also make the music suffer. Try starting with 40 Hz as your corner frequency and -6 dB/octave.
Out of the game … for now?

thierryhenry

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:41:57 AM »
Slow down, HPF?

I'm using Soundforge 6.0/Wave Lab (I have WaveLab just never use it for editing because I never really edit anything just increase volume and split with SF).

Thanks Matt.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 12:47:04 AM »
High-pass filter (keep high frequencies, diminish low ones). Both software packages you mentioned have this. I forget where it is in the menu, but if you can't find it, use help to point you there. Once in that panel, you should see some options for frequency and slope. Then start with the values I mentioned above and see what it sounds like.
Out of the game … for now?

thierryhenry

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:47:28 AM »
I appreciate it, thanks +T.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »
bump...i'm not finding a way to take out a large amount of wind rumble throughout an entire recording...the settings mentioned above aren't quite helping me out.  i have soundforge 6, wavelab 4, and cool edit pro, with a host of vst and waves plugins.  not really sure how to adjust them properly to get the desired effect, and this wind noise is pretty bad.  any suggestions?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »

OR

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »
i was using my dpa windscreens, didn't bring the dead rats for some reason (stupid!)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »
ok, so i opened the file in cool edit pro and under effects and filters there's a FFT filter and setting for cut mic rumble, i put the low end right around 60hz and that seems to do nicely.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 01:21:46 AM »
Is there any other good way to remove wind noise than the High Pass Filter?  I tried that method, but it doesn't affect this wind noise at all until I have it above 200 Hz, which takes away far too much of the low end of the music.  I am mostly familiar with using NCH WavePad.  Have used Audacity a bit.  Also have access to Audition, Izotope, and WaveLab, but haven't used any of those packages before?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 09:59:16 AM »
If you have Izotope RX, try the De-Wind function which is designed specifically for that application.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features/de-wind.html

Alternately you might try various forms of noise reduction targeted toward low frequency noise:
>Some form of "thump" reduction in "click and pop" type removal tools.
>Noise reduction tools that use a short selected section material to train the tool for what to look for and reduce everywhere else.  Choose a sample portion of the file that contains all wind noise without any audible music as the training sample.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
dewind works great but it's tedious.  you have to run it on all induvial spots not the whole file.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com