Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland CS-10EM In-Ear binaural mics and earphones combined?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline listener2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi, I came across these new Roland in-ear binaural mics and earphones combo and am wondering if anyone has tried or used them.
Any opinions on how good they are? Here is the url: http://www.roland.com/products/en/CS-10EM/
They seem like a nice convienent all in one and stealth package.  I am just wondering if they can handle loud levels or are just for nature and ambient type situation recordings.
There is no maximum SPL rating spec given on Rolands website.
Anyway, just curious about these mic/earphones in one.
I already have and use the Sound Professionals binaural In-Ear mics and they are excellent for their price of around $79.  (I have 3 pairs!) but they are only mics and not an earphone built in together.  They also are sensitive mics so probably won't do well to record extremely loud concert levels.  But they do make decent ambient sound recordings of nature surroundings and such.

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland CS-10EM In-Ear binaural mics and earphones combined?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
looks like you could use a battery box with these, says it takes 10V, that would probably make em sound good in a louder situation.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
Always an issue with the design of having a mic/headphone in close proximity is feedthrough into the mic.   Usually a better idea than what works in practical terms.   The mic is always getting sound from phones outputting enough volume to be heard.   Sony tried something similar many, many years ago that didn't sound that great for this and other reasons.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline listener2

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
Guysonic, yes I was wondering about just how isolated they made that earphone chamber from feeding back signal to the mic elements.  They said they paid attention to that detail, but I honestly don't believe that they could totally isolate all vibrations from reaching and coloring the sound of the mic pickups.  Anyway, I would not use it with the earphones plugged in when doing a critical recording.  But I still wonder how good the mic elements are... if anyone has tried them out.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
I can see a use for these...  95% of the time I'm at a show I am wearing earplugs as hearing protection.  Then between sets I sometimes listen to a little bit of what I just recorded, so switch to the ear buds. 

I think I could wear these at a show... without feeding the ear buds sound from the recorder they kind of act as ear plugs, and they would record through the mics, without the above concern for interference.  Then between sets play through the ear buds.

It's not a bad idea, I just wonder if the ear buds or the mics are very good, or if they brickwall at 100db.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com