Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sony ecm ms907 microphone  (Read 3514 times)

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
sony ecm ms907 microphone
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:42:35 AM »
Anyone have one,used one for taping,just curious what they are like for the price.Itll be mainly for open taping more than stealth,but just wanted some 1st hand opinions from anyone who has used one before buying.Any help, advice ( even mp3 samples) are very welcome.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
Re: sony ecm ms907 microphone
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:22:38 AM »
To sum it up, as Sony ECM mics go, this is not a bad one. It is a Mid-Side mic config internally, and has a switch that changes the mid-side balance 90 > 120. Frequency response is less than desireable, 100Hz - 15kHz, but will still sound decent if you have nothing else to compare it to. Listen to this show on a similar mic (ECM-737) http://www.archive.org/details/jwpp2007-10-06.ats.flac16 compared to this one, http://www.archive.org/details/jwpp2007-10-06.ats.flac16 taped at the same time from the same location using better equipment to get an idea what the difference is.

Being a single point stereo mic it is easy to set up. It has an internal battery that lasts forever, so you can go line-in without a battery box. Whether it's right for you depends on your needs, budget and what else is available to you.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 07:26:15 AM by attheshow »
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »
To sum it up, as Sony ECM mics go, this is not a bad one. It is a Mid-Side mic config internally, and has a switch that changes the mid-side balance 90 > 120. Frequency response is less than desireable, 100Hz - 15kHz, but will still sound decent if you have nothing else to compare it to. Listen to this show on a similar mic (ECM-737) http://www.archive.org/details/jwpp2007-10-06.ats.flac16 compared to this one, http://www.archive.org/details/jwpp2007-10-06.ats.flac16 taped at the same time from the same location using better equipment to get an idea what the difference is.

Being a single point stereo mic it is easy to set up. It has an internal battery that lasts forever, so you can go line-in without a battery box. Whether it's right for you depends on your needs, budget and what else is available to you.
you can´t go line-in with these selfpowered mics - almost no signal on line-in because these sony mics are way too insensitive. tried that with the 907 and the 719 mics from sony on a MD-recorders line-in several times.
you can use them for mic-in recordings at high SPL.
have been using this mic in the 1990ies a lot.
it´s a pain to mount this mic especially for stealth-taping.
you need to hold it in your hand ......
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:35:19 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »
I have a ecm 719 which i use a lot,i always go line in,have always done it that way.Just wanst sure if there was a great difference with the 719 and the ms907.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:28:40 AM by pepper »

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:32:14 AM »
To sum it up, as Sony ECM mics go, this is not a bad one. It is a Mid-Side mic config internally, and has a switch that changes the mid-side balance 90 > 120. Frequency response is less than desireable, 100Hz -

Which is why i like the ecm-719 as it doesnt need a battery box.As far as my needs are concerned,just dont want to spend a fortune and get nice results.I record mainly rock shows so obviously something that can take  a bit of volume.

nameloc01

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:11 PM »
I used one with my first rig. I got lucky a few times and got a decent tape. But thats exactly it... got lucky and pulled a few decent ones. I go another route if at all possible.

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:17:36 PM »
you can´t go line-in with these selfpowered mics

I really dont like to sound rude,but dont tell me i cant go line it with these mics,cause ive done it,many many many many times before.As long as ive had a battery in the mic( which is pretty obvious something it needs) ive been able to record line in no problem,and got some decent recordings from it i might add.Like i said i really dont mean to sound rude but youre trying to tell me i cant do something ive done endless times.I realise the ecm ms907 mic probably isnt the best option for stealth taping but it would be used for more open taping.

Offline Sami Ollas

• Taperssection Regular
    • My trading site
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
I've also recorded dozens of shows with ECM-719 straight to the line-in of MZ-NH600D (euro model with line-in only). End result is a very quiet recording, which was easy to fix in post production. And during the whole time I used that combination, I didn't get even a single show with hissing problems.

That said, I'd still recommend against getting the Sony mics and going for something like Church Audio cardioids and a battery box instead, the quality difference is just huge.
Main Rig: Church Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics > ST-9100 > Edirol R-09
Backup Rig: Microphone Madness MM-MCSM-4 > MM-EBM-1 > Sony MZ-NH600

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »
My first rig was a 907 and an Awia MD.  It worked fine in open taping.  I even used it with my JB3, and got good results.  But like everyone else I upgraded to another rig when the upgrade bug bit.......
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 06:34:20 PM »
I started with a 907 and a Sharp MD recorder back in the 90's. 
It worked great for what it was.  Now, how do I get the
same nice stereo spread and sharp imaging of the MS907,
but with my AT853's? I'm experimenting clipping them to shoulders, collar, hat, etc. both facing
forward, both facing out to the sides and forward, etc. and I can still get better imaging/spacial detail wih the Sony mic. Frequency response and just about every other quality is far superior with the AT's of course...

thanks for any ideas,
Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com