Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New AD1K Owner--Advice on Mics, Pres, and Other Stuff  (Read 1717 times)

wjlapier

• Trade Count: (0)
New AD1K Owner--Advice on Mics, Pres, and Other Stuff
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »
I purchased Andy's AD1K recently and it'sa finally here sitting in front of me.  It's housed in a wooden box, but I think I'll make a new one.  It has a power cable with one COAX out.  So, I need batteries and a pair of mics and I'm set, right?  For now, I was thinking of running the internal pre and record with a D8.  And remember, I've been away form taping for about 5 years, so my matching mics/pres/ads is a bit rusty.

Which mics would you run with the AD1K and why?  What type of sound will I get out of that combo?  If I decide to add a pre, which should I consider and why?  Finally, the few years I did tape I used mainly Schoeps mics, but would consider another brand.  I would like to hear some fine samples--so if you could, direct me to where they may be.

Finally, this might have been Jason Crouch's--I believe I might have pics of him and it at a SCI show at the Gorge :D

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re: New AD1K Owner--Advice on Mics, Pres, and Other Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
welcome to team apogee!  i must be one of the few people who have working ad1000 and ad500's!  best A>D on the market, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.  the box and heat issues rarely was a problem for me, so fingers crossed.

grab some mk41 (cap) and cmc6 (bodies)  and you'll have a very versitle rig.  you can tape upfront if you pickup actives, or in the OTS and be making the best tapes.  of course a pre-amp could only improve the sound, but the ad1k pre is pretty decent!

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: New AD1K Owner--Advice on Mics, Pres, and Other Stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
i've run my ad1k's with almost every mic i can think of.  one of my alltime favorite pairs in front of it are the schoeps cmc6/mk4, mk41, mk4v, etc.  set it and forget it!
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com