Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: old stereo mic  (Read 3072 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
old stereo mic
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »
Many years ago I used to record with a Sony D3 cassette deck. This deck came with a small clip on stereo mic. (PC-62). Is this mic worth keeping?
 Also if I use it will I need to use a battery box?
 I record with Sony PCM-M10 or D50, mostly use Church Ca-11 cards with Battery box. Also do a lot of recording in clubs were I have to be my mic stand. Have permission but no place to set up or clamp.

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
Re: old stereo mic
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
the good old PC-62 will work with 'plug in' power from the mic in of your portable deck.
It will produce very clear recordings but on the other hand very thin sounding.
When I used it it never distorted even when I was close to the speaker stack.
This is a easy to use mic but I fear not todays technology  ;D
pm
http://www.openingtime.lima-city.de/
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

obsidian

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:07:59 AM »
Pillowman said exactly what i was going to say.  I collect these type of stereo mics and this is one of the better one's out there.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »
Yes very thin sounding.

A friend recorded with the D3 cassette w/included mic while I used the small $100 Sony hand held that was out at the time  > Sony MD.
The handheld Sony mic sounded far better & it was far from perfect.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
The good ol' PC-62. As others have allready said, the only advantage it had back in the day was that it could deal with pretty loud volumes but the recorded sound was thin and harsch. I actually used the WM-D3 and the PC-62 myself during my early stealthing days.

Some tapers replaced this mic with others like the Aiwa CM-30 which, looking back at it, was a wise choice. The PC-62 recordings are really bad compared with todays standards. Being a classic mic, keep it to preserve history, but you'll be disappointed if you use it.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 05:18:34 PM »
I still keep this mic and use it on occasion. I love the simplicity and small size.

If you are willing to raise the bass frequencies in post-production, then it doesn't sound thin anymore. I have pulled some really really good recordings with this mic. BUT, it still doesn't match up all the way with other mics these days.

One nice thing about it is it does (like other people said) handle really high volumes without distortion. YOU CAN USE IT WITH PLUG IN POWER THAT ISN'T A BATTERY BOX AND IT DOESN'T DISTORT. (Well, very hard to distort) Again, the simplicity.

Hold on to that little gem!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com