Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 116017 times)

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 04:19:58 PM »
hey - quick question for you all.  I am using my r44 this weekend for the first time in almost 8 months... I cant remember what format I used for recording in the past.  I am running ana+digi (ana from a V2 ) and digi out of my minime.  I am recording the whole thing at 24/96 to "mono x2" setting.  should I use wav or BWF?  I think I remember that the r44 seamlessly starts a new file at the 2gb limit with no glitches.  is that correct?  I would rather lay it down as wav files....

thanks!!
steve
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »
Mono X2 is not what you want. That setting will only record two tracks, either from inputs 1 & 2 or the digital input, depending on the analog/digital setting.  The only file settings that will record a digital input is Stereo x1 or Stereo x 2.

Since you want to record 4 tracks total, you'll need to set the machine to Stereo x 2 which will create two interleaved stereo files (one from the digital input & one from the analog 3 & 4 inputs).

BWF or WAV is up to you, either works. Just depends if you'd like the extra BWF data in the file and if the software you use supports that file format.  Most users here prefer straight WAV files.

The split at the 2GB file limit is seamless.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
you are right, I mis-typed.  I have it set to record "stereo x 2"....

thanks for the info about wav vs. bwf!!!!!!!!!
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:41 PM »
can anyone explain to me how to delete the blank files from ch1&2 when using just mod'd ch3&4 and havibg to run stereo x 2 to utilize the mod' ch's
stuck at the Roo and can't figure it out. 2 other r44 users here who can't figure it out either
you should have had channels 1and2 modded if you were only planning on running 2 channels with mics b/c when you select Stereo x 1 it only activates channels 1 & 2. So you must record in Stereo x 2 in order to utilize your modded channels. I assume you are having an issue with not having enough memory on your card to cover all 4 ch.
or he has different mods
some people have warm on 1/2 and trans on 3/4 (not sure if those are the correct terms but you prob know what i mean)

I was one of those trying to figure this out for Dustin at the Roo. Regarding the mods, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Oade Concert Mod upgrade all 4 channels, not just 3 & 4? Also it is my understanding Busman doesn't do the hybrid (warm on 1 & 2 and Trans on 3 & 4) with the R-44 due to size restraints. His webite lists a transparency mod on all 4 as the only option. I communicated with him before buying mine and he described it as actually a mix between the vintage (warm) and transparent mods, but made no mention of the hybrid...
good to know - guess i was thinking of a r4
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
Just digging my R-44  8)  First real session with it tonight: CLIP

Ch 1&2 - Crown PZM stereo pair, spaced 3', on 16" square plexiglass plates, inverted ~10' in the air on a tall stand. This method would be like taping the mics to a 10' high flat ceiling, if that's what the room had (this room has 16' high cathedral ceilings though). It's also about the same as just placing the mics on the floor, but the high position gives better angles/less shadowing to voices and instruments. Forgot to take pictures of this, again.

EDIT: here's a photo, set up outside -

Ch 3/4 - Avantone CK1 cards, spot micing guitars/vocals.

Recorded in 2x stereo, then the ch 3&4 stereo file split to 2 mono tracks. Post in Audition: Levels, gentle EQ & slight reverb added to spot mic tracks. These were also panned to ~ their real positions. Very sparing 'mastering' reverb (Ozone) added to the final stereo mixdown.

This is a difficult array of people and instruments to record, and not a real nice sounding room either. All things considered, I'm pretty stoked on the results, especially with how simple setting up was, and hence how I can be recordist but still concentrate on playing. The short clip with no vocals is because most of the people involved are totally mic shy and not into promoting themselves and I don't want anyone to feel violated in any way.

I'd appreciate any critique regarding the recording methodology and outcome.

Peace,
Sanaka
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:03:57 AM by sanaka »

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
I think it sounds great!
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 03:31:55 AM »
Thanks Lee! :blush:

I posted that very late and now realize the focus on one clip is kinda OT for this thread. I'll prolly make a thread about it in the right place, as well as one about my new rig setup soon. I'm just stoked on my R-44!!!

Woohoo!!!

Peace

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »
Ch 1&2 - Crown PZM stereo pair, spaced 3', on 16" square plexiglass plates, inverted ~10' in the air on a tall stand. This method would be like taping the mics to a 10' high flat ceiling, if that's what the room had (this room has 16' high cathedral ceilings though). It's also about the same as just placing the mics on the floor, but the high position gives better angles/less shadowing to voices and instruments. Forgot to take pictures of this, again.

Not at a machine where I can hear the clip, but I'd love to see a photo of those plexiglass baffles on the stand if you do get a chance to snap some.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yltfan

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »

• Using PNY & Transcend class 4 16GB SDHC cards with NO issues.

I am super excited to have a R-44 on the way, and was wondering if there is any consensus around here on memory cards? I want something dependable, but don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks!
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
i used 16gb toshiba and kingston cards without issues. all class 4

Offline rigpimp

• Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
So the lack of R-44's on the used market got me curious.  Is anyone really displeased at all by their R-44?  I mean I really love mine (we're closing in on our one year anniversary) and it has really only thrown me one curve ball by splitting a file just over the 2GB limit. 

Other than that I would marry its cat just to sleep by its bed.

Discuss.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
I'm using 16gb transcend and PNY with no problems, both class 4. I too love this this thing, the ONLY complaint I have, and I just noticed this while taping at Bonnaroo, is if you adjust the outer (clicky) knob while recording, it results in a small, less than 1 second, dropout. Luckily, you will find that once you find the right setting for your mics, and the type of music you genarally record, you will rarely adjust the levels. Set it and forget it. However one day I was taping some bluegrass, and needed to increase the gain a couple clicks, and found this flaw...

Offline yltfan

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
I'm using 16gb transcend and PNY with no problems, both class 4. I too love this this thing, the ONLY complaint I have, and I just noticed this while taping at Bonnaroo, is if you adjust the outer (clicky) knob while recording, it results in a small, less than 1 second, dropout. Luckily, you will find that once you find the right setting for your mics, and the type of music you genarally record, you will rarely adjust the levels. Set it and forget it. However one day I was taping some bluegrass, and needed to increase the gain a couple clicks, and found this flaw...

That seems like a big flaw. Anyone else have this happen? Do you get the dropouts when you adjust the inner knob?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »
I don't adjust with the inner knob. I leave it at 12:00. I don't think it would though. Something about that stepped gain, and it having to change to the next increment, and it drops it for just split sec. Its not just a random error either. Im working on a 3 channel recording right now, and all three channels have the dropouts. It does however make it really easy to grab that section of the wav to normalize...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com