Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: clarion pro or eclipse or nak?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
clarion pro or eclipse or nak?
« on: November 28, 2004, 05:20:22 PM »
if i were looking at similarly priced/spec'd head units, is one known to break down more?  are both comparable sound quality?

bueller?

(updated subject to include nak)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 09:08:29 PM by scott brown »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: clarion pro or eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 05:31:34 PM »
did you ever read any revues for that kenwood w/ the burr brown dac's?

im a eclipse kind of guy, have been for many years, but ive never had anything clarion

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 05:45:16 PM »
i can't find any sort of review on the kenwood one...

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »
I have a Clarion DXZ835MP...I like it alot for it's sound quality but not so much for it's ergonomics....or the motorized faceplate (but it seems a high end receiver can't be found without some extra, unnecessary gadgetry no matter what brand...)

Offline scb

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 02:56:49 PM »
the fact that the eclipse doesn't seem to have a detachable face (can't find anything about it) might make me stay away from it.  my car isn't too hard to break into with the soft top on...

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 03:18:46 PM »
While I know you mentioned the two brands your looking at I will dilute the pool even more and suggest Pioneer's Premier line of head units.  I own an older model and it has performed flawlessly in the three cars and, eh about, 4 years I've owned it!

Another brand to consider is Blaupunkt.  I owned an older model CD player of theirs and it performed well.  Very simple, very plain and less moving parts to break (same goes for a brand like Alpine).

I know, no help, but just some suggestions if you haven't considered them.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline scb

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 03:27:51 PM »
my girlfriend has a pioneer premier deck in her car that's never worked correctly, so that's why i wasn't considering them.  i have been quite happy with 2 sets of premier speakers though

maybe i'll take a look...thanks

Offline scb

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 03:33:27 PM »
anyone heard the Nak CD400?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 03:38:47 PM »
Scott:

Off topic, but I've ended up doing away with using a head unit alltogether and now run a portable player (Iaudio m3 with flac support is my current player) directly into my power amp (an old a/d/s)  via a 1/8" stereo mini>rca cable. Next step -- take the portable player's gain control out of the equation by installing a variable gain headphone amp (a cmoy or grado clone) between the line out of the portable player and the line in of my power amp. 

Sounds great in my application and does away with the bells, whistles and theft-ability of a decent head unit.

Offline scb

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 10:58:43 PM »

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 09:32:52 AM »
been using clarion pro audio for a while, purchased a few decks and have had friends who use them.  i am a happy customer.  rumors have heard say eclipse quality went down hill?  some more specific units i might mention of good quality is the Alpine 7909, Clarion Pro Audio HX-D10(i currently use)has preamp only 3 sets of 4v outs, dual 24-bit Burr-Brown dac's.  others worth mention are Denon, Mcintosh, or Nakamichi.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 01:08:16 PM »
how do you guys find out what DAC's are used? (i.e. is there a way to find out without opening the unit?) I don't seem to recall seeing that info in the documentation. I ask b/c my head unit was advertised as having dual 24bit DAC also but mentioned nothing about the manufacturer of the DAC. Since it's a Clarion I guess I could assume they are using the same (or similar) Burr Brown DAC...but we all know what happens when one assume's... ;)

Offline itsmyforte

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 03:01:18 PM »
a good quality deck will have a preamp and thats it, nothing else.  the 835 may have dual 24bit but not of the high quality nature.  if i could find one i'd buy a 7909 in a heartbeat.

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 03:18:51 PM »
both the clarion pro audio and eclipse will give you solid performance.  if you're planning to run amps, get the source unit with the best pre-outs.  i think eclipse was pimpin' 5v+ pre-outs at one point.

Offline scb

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 03:27:02 PM »
some eclipse models even have 8v pre outs

i'm going to stay away from an amp at this point.  i had one in the last car and while it sounded great, i'm trying to have a more simplistic system in the new car. 

a good quality deck will have a preamp and thats it, nothing else.  the 835 may have dual 24bit but not of the high quality nature.  if i could find one i'd buy a 7909 in a heartbeat.

while an internal amp is not ideal, not all suck.  eclipse has some MOSFET amps and the nak deck amps are suposedly pretty decent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com