Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: car stereo problem - AM radio total interference  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Diamond_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
car stereo problem - AM radio total interference
« on: August 02, 2005, 11:52:09 PM »
I know this is a litte out there, but y'all seem pretty knowledgeable so I figure it's worth a shot. I installed a pioneer DEH-P4600 MP3 CD player in my car last year, and it worked perfectly for about 8 months. A while ago, though, I started having problems with the AM radio reception. There is intermittent total interference, i.e. all you here is horrible static. Specifically though, the static is coming from the car's system, as sometimes there is clicking in-time with the blinker, or patterns based on the speed of the engine.

It only happens at certain times though, especially when braking or accelerating hard, or hard turns. It sounds to me like it might be a loose wire that's getting out of contact when the car's pushing hard one way or another. But where should I look? I have no FM problems, so I don't know if I should look at the antenna, or what. Any ideas? Thanks!!
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: car stereo problem - AM radio total interference
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:58:55 PM »
I'd make sure all the wires have a good connection.

When I installed my Alpine CD player the radio reception was horrible. It turned out I forgot to connect one of the wires. Apparently that wire is connected to some sort of amplifier. Once I connected that wire the radio worked fine. I don't know if the color of the wires is the same on your unit, but I'm pretty sure it was blue.

Good luck,
MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Diamond_D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »
So, last Sept I put this exact radio into my new car, a 2002 Volvo S60. Everything works perfectly, except AM radio. And here's the kicker... AM Radio works perfectly fine at all times, EXCEPT in the cold weather! Each morning in the winter, when I start up my car, the AM radio just sounds like total interference. However, once the car warms up after about 10 minutes of driving, it starts working fine.

When the car is cold, each time I press the brake, or shift into reverse/drive, reception temporarily begins, but then cuts back out. I have no problem whatsoever over the entire summer.

ANY idea what could be causing something like this?
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »
sounds like improper grounding issues. they make inline filters for this at auto parts stores.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com