Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with recovering data off a good hard drive in a dead PC  (Read 1672 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Help with recovering data off a good hard drive in a dead PC
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »
Need some help. I have an old PC that I use just for running torrents and burning discs while I am working on other stuff on my primary computer. The old one is running Windows 98SE. I think the power supply or something finally croaked since I found it dead the other morning after it was running just fine the night before. No stability issues with the operating system prior, everything otherwise normal. It's as if it's not even plugged in, so I am guessing the power supply just died.

I don't really care about saving this PC, as I was planning to get a laptop for side stuff and was waiting for this moment to motivate me to make the move. I have some data files on the boot drive that I really want to recover, though. I was thinking I could go buy one of those DYI external enclosures made to install an internal drive and plug the old drive in, but was not sure if it would act like an external without being booted in an actual PC and still let me go into the documents folders to copy them to my winXP computer, again just as if it was an external. Hope all that makes sense.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Help with recovering data off a good hard drive in a dead PC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »
Something like this shouls work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

No need for an external enclosure if you're only going to use it once to pull your files off the drive.

You could also use that drive as a backup drive for the laptop. I like to keep a hard drive with all of my recordings off site.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline boojum

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 03:38:28 AM »
If you have a desktop just install the old HD as a second drive.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »
When you plug it into an XP system it will autodetect the device and assign a drive letter to it.

If you do get an enclosure, get one that still supports IDE drives. There are some that are SATA only.

If you connect with a cable directly to your board, the jumper setting must match the configuration. If you connect it to a IDE cable that already has a drive you may need to re-jumper the drive as a slave. Pin settings are usually online for this. If you have a spare IDE port, then just plug it in and power up.

edit:
If you get the set mentioned by Mike B (Fatah) be careful to have the correct pin assignments if you ever connect a laptop drive. (I just read the comments section on that link).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:21:57 AM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:40:58 AM »
That adapter from newegg will work fine.  It will be just like plugging in any other USB storage device.  You can copy over whatever data you want and everything will be peachy.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
Thanks! +Ts
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com