Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with a stand selection  (Read 5099 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Help with a stand selection
« on: March 25, 2004, 08:32:46 PM »
I'll be primarily taping in small theaters in cramped spaces (balconys) so I need something compact, however there are times when I'll need the height for outdoor taping. I guess thats another question I have of how high should a stand be for outdoor taping. thanks
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Re:Help with a stand selection
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 10:05:08 AM »
I'll be running akg 391's, and would like to be more low profile. I kinda wanted to stay away from using clamps, and just use a stand. The boom stand sounds like a good idea, but the problem would be finding one that could also go 8-9 feet up. I'm getting the notion that I may need (gasp) two different stands. One for outdoor that could be big and beefy, and one indoor to suit my low profile needs.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline teajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 10:48:41 AM »
for outdoor or not-so-low-profile indoor use, i'd go with a bogen/manfrotto or impact air cuchioned light stand... If you run a stereo bar, you may need a 1/4" to 5/8" adapter, btu that's minor... The stands made by those two companies are damn nice stands, durable and not overly expensive...

check out www.bhphotovideo.com they sell stands by both companies, and sometimes you can get a good deal on a used one from their site...

You may want to REALLY consider getting a clamp or two.. I'm still quite new to taping and thought it was going to be useless... HA!! Proved myself wrong... They can be the nicest piece of gear to bring along sometimes... ask anyone here, i'm sure they'll testify

Good luck...

Travis

**edit: I guess this was post 200 for me too :) **
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 10:49:29 AM by teajay »
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 02:42:04 PM »
bogen and monfrotto are the same company, one is the Italian name and the other is the US name... I forget which is which.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 02:45:51 PM »
bogen and monfrotto are the same company, one is the Italian name and the other is the US name... I forget which is which.

i hope you are joking.

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 02:49:30 PM »
I wasn't, am I wrong? oops
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 02:58:09 PM »
tim you are kind of right, i believe one is a subdivision of the other, but they are one in the same nonetheless

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 03:12:57 PM »
thanks Jonny!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 03:18:33 PM »
Hmm, my understanding was the same as Tim's--same company, just used a different name in a different market (Bogen in US).  In fact, I thougt they were going to stop using the Bogen name in the US and just stay with Manfrotto everywhere.

Regardless, I would strongly recommend people invest in two stands.  You can get them for $50-60 apiece and given how much we spend in taping equipment and concert tix, I think it is money well spent.  I've got two stands, one the typical Bogen 13' big sturdy job, and the other an APIC small stand that folds to 21", but goes up to 9'.  Each can be very useful in different situations.  One stand will not be good in all situations, so get two.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 03:22:49 PM »
alright the difinitive answer, from the bogen web page

In 1959, Lester Bogen, an accomplished photographer and writer bought a small photographic import and distribution company that supplied darkroom and small camera accessories. This was the start of Bogen Imaging Inc. that today supplies the photographic, video, Cine and lighting markets with an extensive range of leading product lines.
In 1970, Lester met Lino Manfrotto, who manufactured lighting stands and accessories in northern Italy. Manfrotto appointed Bogen the exclusive U.S. distributor and their partnership produced the world famous range of camera tripods, heads, lighting stands and accessories. Manfrotto sets the international standard for top quality professional equipment and is a superb value for the money. The line was marketed under the Bogen brand name up until 1998 and now uses the international name "Manfrotto".
In 1993, Bogen was acquired by the Vitec Group, a company listed on the London stock exchange. Today Bogen is an integral part of the Vitec Photographic Division, which includes Gruppo Manfrotto and Gitzo.
The Bogen line has come to include many of the most respected manufacturers of precision products under the "Exclusively Bogen" logo; Gitzo tripods and heads, Avenger lighting grip, I.F.F. ceiling mounted lighting suspension, Metz on-camera flash systems, Gossen light meters, Elinchrom studio lighting systems and a wide host of additional product lines which round out the most complete range of exceptional accessories in the business.
Bogen's status as a true powerhouse in the industry is evident by the depth and breadth of their organization and the markets they serve. Bogen sells to retailers in the photography and video markets in addition to rental houses in the film and broadcast industry. This national network of over 2000 dealers attest to their solid reputation for quality products and prompt, professional service.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 11:58:01 AM »
sorry I wasn't clearer, i mean are you joking that you can't tell between bogen and manfrotto which one is italian?

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 12:30:16 PM »
Another advantage of two stands - Split omnis

In case you needed more justification :)
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 01:35:20 AM »
bogen is not italian. the italian language is not friendly towards words that end in consonants. also, if you read Manfrotto was the name of the Italian, so there ya go.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 11:47:42 AM »
Where can I get a 1/4" to 5/8" adapter for my stand?  I found a 1/4">3/8" on the B&H Photo website, but don't see 1/4">5/8".

Thanks.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

jpschust

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 12:38:56 PM »
daleproaudio 888-462-7828

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com