Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The AKG Active Project - 2  (Read 98509 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The AKG Active Project - 2
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »
http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,39,nodeid,39,board,2,_language,EN.html
In case someone has the service documents
the vr91/92 is up for DL at akg
i know the caps connect differently, but it shows the wires inside which is what i think someone would need to know in this case
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:52 PM »
Deja vu to the previous AKG active thread ;)

Yup!

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
Deja vu to the previous AKG active thread ;)

Yup!

I was thinking the same thing..
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2007, 12:34:13 PM »
Didn't someone try this once before with less than optimal results?  I had a pair of the VR1 tubes for my 451's and I couldn't figure out how to open then up without destroying them.  I contacted AKG about perhaps modifying the tube to be flexible instead of solid, and was told it wasn't possible to turn these into cables.  They did not give me any explanation though.

AKG has not been helpful in aiding any kind of R&D on this up to this point and are actively discouraging the effort when asked for information.  If you really want actives, why not just buy a second set of mics with actives?
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »
Didn't someone try this once before with less than optimal results?

Yes.  Someone did

basically the tube acts as the ground, and a short length is all the distance apparently can support without creating a buzzing noise. 

I believe it was the member Jah who did just as you are describing.
mics & cameras

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Didn't someone try this once before with less than optimal results?

Yes.  Someone did

basically the tube acts as the ground, and a short length is all the distance apparently can support without creating a buzzing noise. 

I believe it was the member Jah who did just as you are describing.

Not sure about Jah, but someone at Sonic Sense tried hacking one and got a buzzing sound which I presume was probably due to lack of grounding. AKG has said before that the idea won't work but gives very few details. The VR62 is a 3ft extension tube so there must be a way to separate the caps from the bodies by at least 3 feet. 3 feet of wire would be decent for stealth purposes and would still allow for Low-pro use on a stand by using a clamp to attach the bodies 3 feet down the stand from the T-bar. I personally don't have enough money for a set of actives in addition to my AKG mics. Otherwise I'd definitely pick up some Schoeps, DPAs or Neumanns.

The VR91/92 uses the Blueline caps which are electret based and don't really require the body as the "preamp" is essentially built into the cap. I would imagine that the tubes are pretty different from the VR61/62 since they don't even require "active cables" just a passive cable with a special bayonet connector.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2007, 02:50:32 PM »
Good discussion like the last thread.  One thing i'd like to remind people of is you have to decide what your final goal/hope is here.  Do you just want to use the caps with something else (jklabs box, nbox) or do you want to keep the bodies in the mix?

Figure out what the goal is first and then work under those plans.  Richard is now devoting his time to a solution and it sounds like he is thinking of the caps being hard wired.  That may or may not be of help to most of you in your goals/hopes for AKG actives while is sounds perfect for what Richard wants. 

Whoever stated this version of the thread should start a poll on what people want as an end product.  With or without bodies to start.

Also I know some people sound down on AKG for their standoffish attitude towards releasing information.  Maybe if any of those people even thought this was remotely attainable they may change their mind.  Maybe this is the holy grail of DIY AKG modding.  Its possible that the AKG folks may have tried to make actives at some point and failed.    I guess having a positive end result to this project will be all the sweeter then.

my $.02

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »
i am in either camp. i would be very reluctant and squeamish about someone hacking up my 463's for a beta version, but i could possibly be convinced if there was a viable plan. also, getting me liquored up would help.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Not sure about Jah, but someone at Sonic Sense tried hacking one and got a buzzing sound which I presume was probably due to lack of grounding.

If I recall correctly he did it with a Schoeps gooseneck though, didn't he?  Although I suppose the overall concept is pretty much the same...
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 03:28:50 PM »
Not sure about Jah, but someone at Sonic Sense tried hacking one and got a buzzing sound which I presume was probably due to lack of grounding.

If I recall correctly he did it with a Schoeps gooseneck though, didn't he?  Although I suppose the overall concept is pretty much the same...

It was definitely a VR61. I emailed him about it and got a response. I was hoping he would still have it around so I could play around with it, but he got rid of it years ago. I believe JAH machined connectors and got cables made, but never got the electronics to work.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »
Yeah I can't find much info on it, but it didn't get off the ground.  Just was trying to say its been done before.
mics & cameras

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »

It was definitely a VR61. I emailed him about it and got a response. I was hoping he would still have it around so I could play around with it, but he got rid of it years ago. I believe JAH machined connectors and got cables made, but never got the electronics to work.

yeah...I've emailed JAH previously as well...here is his quite vague response from last year:
Hey christian, I have not done anything with these for a long while.  I have
everything I need to do the design but time.  I just went through some
drastic life changes and work has me working on time that I am suppose to
take off.  I will take most of Dec off and hope to spend some time it, as I
really want to get this project completed.  However, I have house projects
that are in need of completion too.  ;-)
I do plan on seeing some shows as I have only seen about 3 this year. ;-(

So much to do, so little time.
peace
jah

Offline MarkF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2007, 01:56:59 AM »
Well, I took apart my  A61 swivel.  All it is, is a small wire connecting the male center pin to the female center socket.  Nothing magical.  The outside casing is the ground.  There are 2 retaining clips, 1  on each end that hold the guts in.  The female end has what looks to be a crcuit board from the outside, but it isnt.  It just mounts the female socket.  Its actually amazing that the wire doesnt break with the adjustment of the angle. 
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2007, 01:59:25 AM »
pics while you have it apart?
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline MarkF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2007, 02:16:30 AM »
I knew someone was going to ask  :)....... wait one second
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com