Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade R44 super Mod vs Concert Mod  (Read 13792 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Oade R44 super Mod vs Concert Mod
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »
As far as bags with the window, Petrol PEGZ is the best bag, IMHO bar none.  It's got great stability and many options (dividers and add on pockets) that come standard with the bag.  I love it particularly because it's got a place to hide a pint of coca cola, or whatever else you might need in an emergency (wink  ;))  Unfotunately, the PEGZ are quite expensive gear bags. 

Additional window bag options are the Soniccase and a Portabrace.  Portabrace makes a zillion custom designed bags for various gear.  A neat thing about PB is that the bag can be kinda modular in that you just add to it and there are some standard design features (velcro in the right places) that allow some of the pieces to be fit together.  A generic PB solution might be one of the 'general' bags (sorry can't remember a model number) with one of the side bags attached...the side bags are the RM-Multi or RM-Multi Deluxe...Deluxe being slightly larger side attachment pocket.  The Multi and Deluxe each have their own zipper closure and window top.

Personal choices would be the PEGZ first choice, Soniccase second and PB third, although the Sonic and PB really are equally nice...I've owned all three.

The bad thing is that any of these bags will run upwards of $150 and the PEGZ I think goes for a little over 2 bills.  But if you post an ISO on the Yard Sale, you are likely to turn up something for alot less.  Bags rotate around the YS like a merry go round!  LOL.

Most people reason though that with all of the money we have invested, it's good to have good protection and use a better safe than sorry attitude when buying a bag. 

A PS to the above discussion is that all of thse expensive bags have snorkels on them.  These snorkels allow the cables to be run out the side of the bag and cinched down so that the cables don't run out the top of the bag. AGain, this helps to keep everything on the inside nice and dry in a beer infested club, or outside when it starts to rain.  These are situaitons when these bags really are worth the price we paid.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:26:04 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »
Agree with everything Steve said above.

The Petrol is $185 at B&H right now plus a couple bucks shipping.  That's a steal of a deal IMO.

All it takes it one great sounding recording to get you back in the game full tilt.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=521145

:D

Holy shit, that's a great sounding recording! Nice!!

Now you know why I prefer Nevatons over all the "usual suspects".   ;D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline jim1274

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2008, 10:06:46 PM »
This bag thing seems to be the least controversial subject on the forum.  I looked around more (must have done at least a thousand Googles in the last 6 days!!!) and found nothing that really looked promising beyond the suggested bags.  The Petrol seems like the closest thing to a no-brainer in this whole equipment selection process.  This rig is SO far over budget, the 150 buck premium hardly even fazes me.  Hmmm...how was that..."check you wallet at the door"...  I was hoping $500 for a budget rig, thinking $700 was more likely, realized a good recorder started at $400, and well....don't want to do the math now....

Makes no sense to buy all this nice equipment and put it in a bag that is less than optimal for  the task at hand.

Aside from verifying a couple tripod hardware parts and cable adapters, I think the finish line is actually in sight.  Might even get done before 2AM at this rate.  Feel like I have not been on vacation the last week, not thet this has not been a fun journey.  Even a work week is only 50-60 hours compared to probably 80 on this project...

Looks like rock 'n roll next weekend if no delivery surprises!

Thanks to all who have kept me on the right path.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
Makes no sense to buy all this nice equipment and put it in a bag that is less than optimal for  the task at hand.

Thanks to all who have kept me on the right path.

Hey jim1274, good for you!  So now that you've got all of your stuff ordered for the most part, here's a couple more words of wisdom.

Set it all up before the gig and pretend that you're at the show.  What I suggest is to set your stand up in front of your stereo and pretend the speakers are the PA.  Simulate the club by turning the lights out.  This will cause you not to forget your flashlight!  Then set everything up and run the sound through your recorder for awhile.  Turn it on and off.  Get familiar with the controls on the recorder in the dark.  Get familiar with which switches turn the recorders backlight on and off, without aid of a flashlight.

IMPORTANT:  Then test to make sure you've recorded samples properly and they came through fine in your recording chain.  The best way to do this is to be anal and take the practice sound bites all the way to your software...Audition or whatever. 

The idea is to learn these couple of errors that you might make in your living room, not at the gig when it's too late to fix them.  Also, understand that just because you see levels peaking at the right spots on the meters, doesn't always mean that you're getting good sound...although it's usually the case.  But knowing your gear a little bit ahead of time by practicing can help increase your confidence level that you're getting the goods during the show.

One caution...you are recording in 24bit so you don't need to push your levels at all.  A common mistake in the last two or three years is for people to push their levels way up towards the red zone because that's what we did in the old days.  With 24bit recorders, you don't have to do that because the bit depth captures the sound with sufficient resolution that you really can leave TONS of headroom and bump the levels later in post and retain 100% of the sound.  This subject is discussed ad nauseum on these forums and this is one subject that's not debated...leave lots of headroom in 24bit so that you never have to worry about coming close to clipping.  (You could actualy prove this to yourself if you wanted...when practicing, simply conduct a sample in your living room by running your levels through range from low to high and then adjust/normalize the levels in post to see how the fidelity of the end product is affected...chances are you won't hear much, if any, difference...that is until your recorder levels are so high that you overload the internal preamps on the recorder.)

If you practice even just a little bit, I promise you that you'll eliminate one or two screwed up recordings along the way.  As simple as this all seems when you have it all laid out in front of you before the gig, if you don't practice with it, Murphy definitely  _WILL_ show up and mess with you.  It's a taperssection law! 

So, what I guess I'm suggesting is that when you get out to the gig and discover something that you did wrong or something that you need to learn or ask about, don't feel alone because literally 100% of us on this list have gone through the same thing and if there's a mistake that can be made a) you'll make it, and b) we've all done it before you.

So mainly have fun and if you can practice a little ahead of time and it will pay off for you. 

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:49:13 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »
Could save a few dollars on the bag.. I use a softsided $12 Wallyworld cooler that works a charm. 

I like it because it has an interior rigid plastic tub and soft insulation padding outside that for excellent shock protection, great pockets, handles, shoulder-strap, zippered top, and the window opening.  I originally planned to glue some clear plastic window material in there with some flexible construction adhesive, but never got around to it & now I prefer it this way. I open the flap to check things and can reach in there to adjust, then close it again.  It has successfully deflected a spilled beer to the top. I keep the batteries, cables, V3 and two compartments wedged in the tub with foam.  The compartments (plastic quart paint mixing containers) were originally set up to hold large and heavy ADK TL's, all set up and ready to go in their suspensions with the windscreens on.  Last time out I used other mics in the photos below there are cables and rip-tie tape in there instead.

I originally got on the idea of the soft sided cooler as the ultimate 'wet ground' protection at outdoor events.  Even if it starts pouring I can pull out the large, thick hefty bag folded up in the pocket on the side and put the whole bag in there.  Even if that leaks sitting in a puddle the water won't get into the tub from below.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
Gutbucket,

You tapers are a creative bunch.  That looks like pretty slick budget bag, especially for outdoors. Didn't think about outdoor taping, but suppose I'll eventually be trying that too....   That Petrol looks really nice, though....

Tonedeaf,

Thanks for the pointers.  Practicing with my living room stereo is EXACTLY what I had in mind for practice.  The idea of doing it in the dark was a good one I had not thought of--thanks!  The more I read, the more I realize how much there is to learn....  I won't have much time to practice before the real deal---my musician friend is coming Saturday for session number 2.  At least I'll have the right equipment, even if I barely have a clue on how to best use it.  Guess that is how you learn...

Thanks again to all who have guided me....on my hijacked thread....   Probably should have started a new thread for newbie help, but this really started on the right track, trying to get to the bottom of R-44 stock vs. Oade mod.

Not sure if I should have PM'd  you guys on general thanks for the continued input, but wanted everyone to know I'm monitoring the thread and appreciate everyone's input and help. 

Great forum--thanks again to all.  Can't imagine making it to this point without this forum--indispensable.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
The idea of doing it in the dark was a good one I had not thought of--thanks! 

I gotta admit, I never thought of that either.

Good suggestion, Steve!   :cheers:
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2008, 04:31:19 PM »
The Petrol and all the other hardware/tripod goodies from B&H came today, plus the Busman Mics.  If the FedEx guy had knocked on the door a little louder, I'd have the R-44 and be setting up to practice.  I am really bummed about FedEx's lame delivery attempt, and even tried calling FedEx to see if I could go meet the driver someplace.  They were not accommodating.  Guess I sit at the door Friday morning and wait for him....

I can't say enough superlatives about the service from Doug Oade during the purchase process.  Chase Visa created a nightmare by deciding that all these purchases in a short time were suspicious, and locked my account without telling me.  It took 4 or 5 calls to FINALLY resolve it.  Poor Doug had to stop what he was doing multiple times to try and get the charge through and R-44 shipped on Monday, and said he'd upgrade shipping for free if we could not get it fixed before Tuesday.  If there is better service than Doug Oade gave me, I don't know what that might be.  Oade get's my highest recommendation.

And kudos to Chris Johnson at Busman for getting the mics to me so quickly.

That Petrol PEGZ-2 bag needs an instruction manual with it!  I say that only half-jokingly!  Still trying to figure out what the double outboard side pouches were intended for.... I kinda get the general bag scheme after looking at it for a few minutes--a lot different than other gear bags I have owned! The Busman mics come in a pretty big hard plastic box--looks like a case you'd get a cordless drill or some such in---sure is not going to fit in the Petrol!!!.  It would be nice to fit all the gear in one bag--not going to happen with this combo! (the shockmounts look very fragile--they need to live in the case it seems.  Otherwise, I could ditch his big case and repack the kit in the Petrol) Maybe I'll throw it all in a bigger duffel bag or some such.  This rig sure is getting far from compact!

Any photos from you Petrol PEGZ-2 owners of your loaded bags might help get my creative juices flowing....

Time to open the other B&H boxes and start my tripod erector set.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com