Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dat Vs. Nomad Vs. Minidisk  (Read 3270 times)

Offline electroretard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Dat Vs. Nomad Vs. Minidisk
« on: March 10, 2004, 11:41:25 AM »
Hello,
I would like to know what the forum has to think of the different recording devices.
Dat, along with the namd is solid and doesn't have to be fooled with during a show.
The only thing I am concernd with is sound quality and stealth. (stealth for me is very important) I would not like to flip minidisk tapes over if that would risk me being kicked out of the show, at all!However at most shows I don't think stealth will be an issue.
I like the idea of a nomad, but how clean and detailed will the recording be?
as well as a Dat or mini disk?
 I have read the other posts on the nomad but it only records in .mp3?
I would really like to record in a better format than mp3, perferably .wav .shn or .flac !
If any one would lend me a hand I would appreciate the help.
thank you,
Bullfrog

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Dat Vs. Nomad Vs. Minidisk
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 12:13:45 PM »
Search around for more info, but the reason tapers are using the Nomad JB3 compared to other mp3 jukeboxes is that it reliably records in wav--either 44.1k or 48k wav.  It also takes a digital input.  So the recording made by my JB3 fed a digital signal by my Lunatec V3 is EXACTLY the same as the recording made by my M1 DAT fed the same signal from my V3.

For open taping when using a digital input, there is much to be said about the Nomad JB3 and more or less it is in the same realm as DAT.  Soundwise anyway, other folks have their own thoughts on reliability, durability, ease of use etc.  Both the Nomad and DAT are in a different (higher) class than MD.

For stealth taping if you're only using the recording device itself and not outboard mic preamp and A/D converter, it is a different story.  I'll let others chime in as I don't have experience running the JB3 with an analog signal.  The Nomad will still record 44.1k/48k wav files and is not limited to mp3 recording, but the line-in and A/D converter stages are not the greatest, and DAT is probably far superior.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline electroretard

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:05:37 PM »
so after some more info some good choices may be the sony d7 or d8, alot of people seem to like that.
the  nomad jukebox 3 that can record into wav format
the ARCHOS GMINI120, can this unit record into wav or just mp3 upto 192.

thankz again for any input
bullfrog

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 01:59:40 PM »
so after some more info some good choices may be the sony d7 or d8, alot of people seem to like that.

Sony M1s and D100s are popular for stealthing because their ADCs are significantly better than the D7/D8.  I posted a BT comp between the NJB3 and D100 analog line-in to compare their input and ADC stages.  I can re-start the BT if you like so you can give it a listen yourself.

the  nomad jukebox 3 that can record into wav format the ARCHOS GMINI120, can this unit record into wav or just mp3 upto 192.

The GMini records to WAV, but not terribly reliably via digital inputs.  Not sure about analog inputs, nor how it sounds analog in.  There's a loooooong thread about the GMini - just look down a thread or two in this forum and you'll see it.  One thing you'll find is there's a LOT of information already here and the Advanced Search will help answer a lot of your questions.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline thacount1

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • www.dwightritcherband.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »
but the line-in and A/D converter stages are not the greatest, and DAT is probably far superior.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I have done a couple of recordings through the line in of my jb3 and in my opinion it was every bit as good as either of the minidisc players I've owned. Actually it was much better because there wasn't a big fat dropout every half hour or so! Plus no changing of MD's.

I think that people <u>assume</u> that the A/D convertor is not as good on the njb3. Let's face it, minidisc is not the most expensive format, I doubt they are going crazy on the converters. When you consider the losses of having to transfer from the headphone out, into your soundcard you will almost certainly be getting a worse end result.

I can't say whether the A/D convertor on a DAT would be better.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »
You're right, I am pretty much assuming about the JB3 line and converter stages.   :)  I guess I am much more willing to say the JB3 is a serious contender to DAT when being fed a digital signal, since I've used it quite a bit that way.  I cannot thru my own experience make that claim if you're talking about running analog in to the JB3, just haven't done it.

That said:  (1) things like the digital scaling used on the JB3 for analog input (mic in) do not fill me with confidence.  (2) I started taping using MD and then moved to DAT.  Based on the 3 different MD recorders I had, vs the 5 or so portable DAT decks I've owned, MD in every case was far worse than DAT in terms of the preamp, line, and A/D converter stages.  If the JB3 is on par or only somewhat better than MD, that still doesn't say much to me about the quality of the JB3 analog in, but again I've got no direct experience.  Take it for what it's worth (damn little I'd venture  ;) ).

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 04:58:17 PM »
I couldn't tell the difference in Ska.'s comp

Offline Sugarite

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:18:30 PM »
The NJB3 has a reasonably low, but "jagged" noise floor, meaning there's little squeaks that happen occasionally from drive functions that are audible if you're recording too low that you won't get from DAT.  Still, if you feed it a healthy signal, it definitely out-classes MD's, perhaps shy of an M1, but certainly in the ballpark.  The conveniences of an HDR more than make up for any sonic shortcomings IMO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com