Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for all options on a new recording unit  (Read 7734 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
Looking for all options on a new recording unit
« on: March 28, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
I've only had my JB3 for 2 months but in that short time a couple things have happened.  I have realized that I am not happy with the JB3 and the taping bug has bit me hard.  I wish I could say that I have tons of money to throw around for the best gear too, but that isn't the case.  In fact, I only do one kind of taping, and that is patching.  I do not patch out of others, only SBDs.  Pretty much if someone else is taping the show, I let them tape and don't worry about it.  Otherwise, I'll be at the board.  And this is not all here to give you my life story, I just wanted you to know how I will be using the unit.  I will not be buying an a/d or anything else at this time.  I am simply going SBD > Recording unit.  

So I want to know what my options are in the DAT area, unless there is some other hard disk option at a reasonable price...but I have looked and haven't found one.  Really I am only looking to drop around 3 bills on whatever I get.  I am thinking that leaves the D7 and D8...but not much else.  So I just want to make sure that I can go SBD > D8 (or 7) and have it turn out ok.  The shows I have taped with my JB3 sound fine as far as quality but they leave some other noises on it and I am more trusting of a DAT.  So just want to make sure that sbd > d8 with nothing in between (besides cables!) will work.

Sorry for the long ass and rambling post...and thanks for all your help.

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Too Many Shows!
Re:Looking for all options on a new recording unit
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 12:50:37 AM »
a d8 would work fine, most say the d-7's line in isnt anything to special.  you would be better off with a d100 or m1, but thats a little more expensive route
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 09:43:23 AM »
i guess i question why you arent happy with the jb3- let's look at that before we start suggesting other things to buy

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 09:55:18 AM »
yeah, if you DONT have money, thats the most viable way, buy an ad-20 to go SBD>ad-20>jb3 and you migfht be a lil happier!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »
I'm not happy with the JB3 cause it leaves random noises on the recordings.  All but one show I have gotten a high pitched squeel throughout, which if I pick the unit up and listen I hear it making the noise.  Also leaves random hard drive noise...so I am tired of this and want something else instead.

Offline timP

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »
damn, I think it's your unit maybe that is the issue.....
Been using mine alot lately and the only issue I've had is user stupidity......
but have no misc noises or drop outs like my Archos and Iriver have...
just my 2 c.
?>FR2LE

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 05:05:05 PM »
thats typical noise that comes from the hd spinning.  they really arent meant to record analog in.  i'd suggest getting an external a/d and keeping the jb3.  you are going to be happier than when you use removable media

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 05:45:37 PM »
you're gonna end up spending probably twice as much on a dat+7pin and all the tapes taboot...if you pick up an a/d you'll have better results.  it doesn't need to be bit perfect, just reliable.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 05:53:53 PM »
get an a/d...

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 06:39:33 PM »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 07:48:16 PM »
there is also an a/d 20 in there too

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 07:50:35 PM »
Ok, well that is a possibility.  Still makes me question the final result though.  I assume the reasoning is that the a/d takes over that job so the JB3 doesn't have to work as hard, and therefore will not makes the noise.  But I hear them even when I am not recording...like if I just turn the unit on and don't have it doing anything I still hear the noises, so I am not sure that an a/d would really solve that problem...

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »
no, you are actually thinking down the wrong line.  the jb3 will not be using its internal preamps so nothing will be there to pick up the spin of the drive.  you are still gonna hear the drive spinning if you put your ear next to it, but you will be passing your signal through a unit with no moving parts first, which will then convert the signal to a digital signal bypassing the jb3's pre, bypassing picking up that spinning.  the jb3 is bit perfect so whatever comes out of your a/d you get in your jb3

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 08:06:56 PM »
Cool deal.  Well, at worst I can resell it if I'm not happy with it.  Couple a/d questions now.  The UA-5 digi mod one for sell...what is the digi mod?  Also, what about a power source for it?  Says it doesn't come with a batt...how much are we talking?

I assume the line would go SBD > analog cable > a/d > ??? > JB3...what kind of cable do I need between the a/d and JB3?  Will it have to be an optical cable and how much would that be?  Thanks.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 08:49:32 PM »
yea...you got it right...sbd>analog>UA5>optical>jb3

I got a 3ft digital optical cable from Partsexpress shipped with the optical to mini adapter for less than 20$

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-946  3ft optical cable...$7.80  they have a 1.5ft for $6.80

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-968
toslink to mini adapter $1.80

you will need both...shipping is very reasonable...great quick service!

good luck!

[Edit]
obviously I am on a budget, which i gather you are too...there are MUCH better optical cables out there, I found this one linked from another post in ts.com.  It has worked very well for me...but you can spend well over 50$ on a cable if you want to...  If you would like other options...I think there is a good posting in the "cables" topic about good optical cables for jb3.  If you cant find it, pm me, im sure i can, i have it bookmarked somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 08:52:14 PM by razorback »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com