Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DA-P1 Question  (Read 3846 times)

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
DA-P1 Question
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:12:23 PM »
I have been running my p1 for about 12 or so shows and i have run into a slight problem.  This usually happens in the beginning of the second set.  Just beofre a band returns i format my tape and usually hit stop so i can hit record when the band comes on.  Twice i have hit record and the p1 will start to record and roll tape and then it will stop a few seconds into it.  I hit record again and it will do the same thing.  Not sure what is going on but i have missed the beginning of the second set cause of this twice.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
Re:DA-P1 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 08:43:45 PM »
try pause-record to get it into standby (blinking led) and release pause (solid led)

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline hzgone

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 10:09:48 PM »
that is what i do and for some reason it will record for a few seconds then stop

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 10:35:11 PM »
you may want to try some different types of tapes in your machine.  My p1 doesn't like sony tapes unless I fast forward and rewind them and put the 1 min leader.  Maxell tapes are fine no matter which way I do it.  

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 07:09:11 PM »
Happened to my old P1.  I sent it to Paul who did a simple (but costly) repair.  

Has to do with the belts, and grease getting onto them.  I bet yours is a little older.  Paul explained to me that older models used grease that dripped when hot.  After running a whole set, your belts might be starting to slip.  

A couple of P1 tricks you can do are to power down between sets.  

Change brand of tapes - Audio grade tapes do work better imo and experience.  

Also, there is a trick of exposing the tape and manually tensioning it back to the beginning.  The deck reads those black bars to start the absolute time.  If you get a bad load, you can run into the same problem.  

Hope it helps.  Doug Oade has written about some of this as well.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 03:22:09 PM »
My deck did that from time to time with Sony data grade tapes. I only use hbb audio DAT's now...the trashcan is much happier with me now, less dropout, etc.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 07:24:50 PM »
Hey hzgone, I think I patched out of your rig at Keller on 4/1. I'm Alex, I gave Keith a AA battery.

I don't know if you've heard your tapes yet, but the recording I have is full of drop outs, through the second set. Just an FYI if you didn't know.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 07:56:24 PM »
not a solution to your technical problem but it is a solution to your practical problem of missing the beginning of shows, I just start rolling tape a few minutes before I think the band will even take the stage, then when they do you are already several minutes into the tape and you don't have to worry with the start up and you can enjoy the first moments of the show, works really well, hope this simple practice helps, nothing worse than missing those opening notes, Grider

Offline hzgone

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 12:33:27 AM »
Looks like there are a few things i can try out.  One trying out some diffrent tapes, and maybe sending it to prodigital to have it checked out.  Thanks for all the info

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 11:38:21 AM »
For what its worth, I have been using Quantegy (brand formerly known as Ampex) 90m DATs for some time, and have never had a problem with my P1. They are very inexpensive and quite reliable.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 05:04:05 PM »
Dooood,

I have not had exactly the same thing, but very similar. My rig (borrowed) would appear to be recording, the levels were bouncing, etc. When i went to do the transfer, the rig would play for a second or two and stop no matter where in the tape. Most of the 4 (ouch) DATs to cover the 6 hour (ouch ouch) lost time coding as well, although the beginning of one was OK.

I know that SOMETHING was recorded on the tape, as i could get a second or two of audio in random places. Sent it to TASCAM and they knew exactly what was wrong and fixed it. The bummer is that i still have not found a way to rescue the other music. (Any help there???)

Anyhoo, the grease thing sounds plausible. Point of the story: get it serviced! And try really hard not to let them tell you the heads need to be cleaned/replaced (unless they do).

UJ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com