Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Avoiding Noise Floor with R-09 (need help)  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Avoiding Noise Floor with R-09 (need help)
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:21:45 PM »
Hi,

What is the lowest recording levels ( 24 bit ) to run a R-09 and not have to bother with Noise Floor when amplifing/normalizing? I'm a HLSC-1 user and always go with the Line input.
Thanks in advance ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Re: Avoiding Noise Floor with R-09 (need help)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:29:01 AM »
Hi Sergio my man  :),
I would choose input level 8("unity gain") and make the needed gain with an external preamp, that´s what I will try this Friday at www.lovelydays.at .
best regards
Arni
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:35:14 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
I would choose input level 8("unity gain") and make the needed gain with an external preamp, that´s what I will try this Friday at www.lovelydays.at .
best regards
Arni

Yes, that's a good idea. But assuming I'll not buy new gear in the near future, there must be another way to go. I do not tape acoustic/quiet music, I mostly tape blues, blues/rock and some jazz.
Hey, Arni: what about the DPAs? ;D

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »
best regards
Arni

Yes, that's a good idea. But assuming I'll not buy new gear in the near future, there must be another way to go. I do not tape acoustic/quiet music, I mostly tape blues, blues/rock and some jazz.
Hey, Arni: what about the DPAs? ;D

You should be able to run DPA mics 4060 series from your R-09 with out any issues... I have. I would say that your better off getting more sensitive mics if you dont want to get a preamp the only issues are as the sensitivity increase so does your likelihood of distortion...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »
I´m still WAITING for my DPA4061s to arrive........
Hope I´ll get them today or tomorrow so I can use them at www.lovelydays.at .
waiting....... :-[

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »
Let me be more specific. Last night I went to this organ trio type music concert. Only when I got there I realized that the show was to be taped for a DVD. In other words, the sound level was way lower than the usual. The security guy was standing like 3 feet from my seat. No chance for me to switch to Mic In ( I was using Line In), set levels again etc. I ended up with a very nice sounding tape, but peaking around 12db, ocasionally touching the 6db ( two or three times max). That's why I'm asking if it's safe for me to just normalize the whole thing.Any help? ;)

dorrcoq

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »
Well, normalize it and see how it sounds.  Just don't delete your original files, in case you aren't happy with the results.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 04:03:11 PM »
normalizing your file will also normalize the original noise floor, so I would try to run a denoiser BEFORE you normalize it. ;)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 06:40:11 PM »
If running 24 bit, then -12 dB lower recording level is not bad on post-normalized resolution, and yes, noise will decrease a bit with normalizations, but for most venues with loud continuous program, audible enough noise or need to process for using quality-challenging post processing likely not needed.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 06:54:13 PM »
If running 24 bit, then -12 dB lower recording level is not bad on post-normalized resolution, and yes, noise will decrease a bit with normalizations, but for most venues with loud continuous program, audible enough noise or need to process for using quality-challenging post processing likely not needed.

Thanks a lot Guysonic. But I'm not sure if I'm following you. Noise will decrease or increase with normalization? I was under the impression the noise will certainly increase. Pardon my lack of proper knowledge ;)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 12:10:45 AM »

Thanks a lot Guysonic. But I'm not sure if I'm following you. Noise will decrease or increase with normalization? I was under the impression the noise will certainly increase. Pardon my lack of proper knowledge ;)

You're right, I should have said 'noise performance will decrease with normalizations." Pardon my lack of proof reading!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:33:30 AM »

You're right, I should have said 'noise performance will decrease with normalizations." Pardon my lack of proof reading!

No problem ;D.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com