Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

DR100mkIII LiIon battery replacement

<< < (2/3) > >>

goodcooker:

I went through a similar situation with the MR1. Korg made it difficult to get the replacement battery which was like $80 if you could get it and cheaper alternatives were lower capacity. It has a hard drive for storage so it's fairly power hungry and after the internal died completely even using an external solution was a no go. I ended up finding a cheap internal with the same specs, installing it by soldering on the original connector since the new one was different, then drilling a hole in the case and splicing on a much higher capacity battery in parallel. I now have 6000mAh of capacity but it is butt ugly.

Here's the finished product - https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133941.60

commongrounder:

--- Quote from: GLouie on July 15, 2022, 08:11:56 PM ---Yeah, I should get back to them anyway and ask why they couldn't just say it's not available a month ago. A shame for owners if the battery can't be replaced., although you can kinda use AAs as the secondary batteries.

I need some luck with a generic, the OEM is a flat pack with3 wires and a specific mini connector. I could splice, if I was sure what the 3rd wire was for.

--- End quote ---
The third wire is for a temperature sense resistor. I’m away from my library, but I think the value is 10k-ohm to ground (black wire). If it’s unconnected, a charged battery will run the unit, but it will not charge the battery when plugged into usb power.  I have searched high and low for a replacement pack, but it was clearly proprietary, and no longer available.

GLouie:
Makes sense, even if bad news. I've seen other 3 wire packs and assumed #3 was for some charge sensor, but don't know if they are all the same or what. Even if a different shape, I could splice in the connector if the sensors were compatible.

commongrounder:
The sensing in the battery pack is designed to match the power management/charging chip in the recorder. Some use resistors, others use a diode or thermistor type device. I think the circuit in the Tascam could be tricked into charging pretty easily, if you wished to fit a custom pack.

spyder9:
Thanks for the picture.  GB 31241-2014 is quite the popular battery.  Used mostly for phones.  Google it.  You just need to find the right supplier that sells the 3.6v 3950mah.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version