Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Record First Row, mic under chair  (Read 12603 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Record First Row, mic under chair
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
Either do it right or don't bother.  If it sounds like crap you will never listen to it and regret it.  If having fun is more important to you then you made your call.  IMHO putting gear on the floor is a waste off effort.

Isn't something better than nothing?

Also, whether a recording is done "right" is completely subjective.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
singing and recording are not compatible

disagree.. I have a few tapes I love & others have enjoyed where I let loose a few times on 3-4 songs out of 20. make me cringe? yeah. better than not having a tape? absolutely.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
Either do it right or don't bother.  If it sounds like crap you will never listen to it and regret it.  If having fun is more important to you then you made your call.  IMHO putting gear on the floor is a waste off effort.

For me, no.  If I f up a recording I rarely will listen again.  If I do a half assed job it pisses me off more knowing I made the decision myself.  By right, I mean do everything I can to make the best recording possible.  Maybe I hold myself to a higher standard but I would have traded back to a better spot too.  I think back to when I had a problem with my NBox.  I recorded a few songs with the internals and thought what the hell am I doing and shut it down.  I listened to about 10 seconds afterwards and just deleted the files.  Again, to each his or her own but for me there is a definite right way to do it.  If someone asks I will give them my answer.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »

For me, no.  If I f up a recording I rarely will listen again.  If I do a half assed job it pisses me off more knowing I made the decision myself.  By right, I mean do everything I can to make the best recording possible.  Maybe I hold myself to a higher standard but I would have traded back to a better spot too.  I think back to when I had a problem with my NBox.  I recorded a few songs with the internals and thought what the hell am I doing and shut it down.  I listened to about 10 seconds afterwards and just deleted the files.  Again, to each his or her own but for me there is a definite right way to do it.  If someone asks I will give them my answer.

Even though I don't know you personally, I respect you as a taper.  It just irks me to see someone told "Either do it right or don't bother."  I don't know if OP is new at this or not, but nonetheless I'd hate to think that someone might be pushed away from the hobby because they don't think they are doing it "right" by someone else's standard (whether it's OP or someone else who reads this thread).  Everyone has different standards, and what is thoroughly enjoyable to one person might be unlistenable garbage to another.  And vice versa.  If someone wants to try recording with their recorder sitting on the floor, who is it hurting?  If it doesn't come out well then at least it's a learning experience.  Making suggestions about other methods they could try is one thing, but saying they shouldn't even bother recording is another thing.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »
I have made decent recordings with mics on or at least near the floor. I wouldn't recommend it if there are better options, but sort of like "the best camera is the one you have with you," it can be significantly better than nothing.

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 02:06:55 AM »
Tomorrow my favorite poprock Band will play the Last gig and retires.
I really want to enjoy the concert so i decided not to record. I want to enjoy it. But my heart will bleed not having the Last Show on tape - no Matter it is not first class quality as usual.. It is a seated gig and i will be in row number 1.
So i thought maybe to set my church audio omni ca 11 under the Seat and let it go.
I use a batterybox and a Sony pcma 10.

How was the show? How did the recording turn out? :)
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:46 AM »
i have no problem with people doing it 'the right way' or bust... on their own terms. Thats called internal quality control

when you try to tell someone else what the 'right way' is, its a slippery slope that often ends up with people waving their mics around like dicks

i dont bother to track out and officially release shows i bone... but i will throw it up on soundcloud for people to hear warts and all

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »

I’m with you bro, we didn’t get to be world class tapers
by taking short cuts or doing things that are easy, and we have
suffered great physical pain and stress to make a top notch recording.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »

Even though I don't know you personally, I respect you as a taper.  It just irks me to see someone told "Either do it right or don't bother."  I don't know if OP is new at this or not, but nonetheless I'd hate to think that someone might be pushed away from the hobby because they don't think they are doing it "right" by someone else's standard (whether it's OP or someone else who reads this thread).  Everyone has different standards, and what is thoroughly enjoyable to one person might be unlistenable garbage to another.  And vice versa.  If someone wants to try recording with their recorder sitting on the floor, who is it hurting?  If it doesn't come out well then at least it's a learning experience.  Making suggestions about other methods they could try is one thing, but saying they shouldn't even bother recording is another thing.

I hear you but in this case it is not a noob taper who was asking for advice on how to do it so he could get a tape without putting in the effort.  This is a have your cake and eat it too using the overused cliche.  If the recording is important enough to ask the question, then go all in.  If it is not then don't.  The only person it could hurt is the taper who will regret not going all in years from now if this was an epic final show.  My favorite band's final show would never be a learning experience.  It would be go big or go home.  He asked for opinions and advice.  That was mine.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
Isn't under a front row seat with internal microphones Furbie's go-to recording technique?  ???
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »
Could actually make for good placement for a show in a small room with no stage and no PA reinforcement!

Otherwise, to quote the 8-ball- "Outlook not so good"
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »

First world pain and suffering.   :lol:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 01:47:55 AM »

First world pain and suffering.   :lol:

risking our lives out there every night like John K.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
Pain is relative, like time..  just image a never ending family reunion!

But yeah, we all have our own personal thresholds of acceptability.  I see it as a higher level taper skill to know oneself well enough to discern when to, and when not to make the effort, while being relatively assured of one's future satisfaction with the decision.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
Looking back, a show last year comes to mind.  Big "non-open" arena show, taper friend and his wife in town for it and good floor seats, but not really something either of us want to "make a real taping effort at".. yet we're tapers and cannot avoid feeling the pull..  so we sat next to each other and had a good time with recorders in our front shirt pockets. 

We treated it as an informal "internal mic comp" between the M10 and DR2d.  It was fun to record without any self-pressure to "do it right", it was fun to just have a good time and not care, and it was fun to compare the recordings afterwards, then basically forget about them.  I even briefly considered starting a tongue-n-cheek comp thread here, including a matrix of the two sources.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com