Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR680 digital input and channel assignment questions  (Read 1324 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
DR680 digital input and channel assignment questions
« on: June 21, 2022, 04:06:03 PM »

I have a Tascam DR680 that I've been using mostly for it's digital input to transfer DATs from my Fostex D5. Works great.

I picked up a Warm Mod UA5 for really cheap with an eye towards using the SPDIF output to feed the MIX channel for a pair of mics and use the 1-6 inputs for direct outs from the SBD getting me a total of 8 channels on the same clock.

I'm kinda stuck about which menu settings can get me where I want to be - how do I set the SPDIF input to the mix channels so I can free up the other 6 inputs for analog in?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
Re: DR680 digital input and channel assignment questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 04:46:44 PM »
Make sure all the I/O for channels 1-6 are set to analog. Go into Menu then REC -> ST REC. Select DIN. Go into Function and select DIN MON. You have to do the DIN MON every time to get the DIN Lock message. Also, make sure the UA-5 is set to COAX in the back little switch. Won't work if it is set to optical. Also make sure the Stereo (Mix) channels are set to record.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:50:33 PM by fireonshakedwnstreet »
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 05:00:54 PM »
Go into Function and select DIN MON.

Thanks this is what I was missing. Some of the control functions aren't named in such a way to make them easy to sort out.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:08:56 PM »
Just saw this thread.  Good to hear fireon's advice got it working for you.

You probably realize this, but I'd like to clarify for others that you can slave the DR680's clock to the clock of another coax digital-out device, and subsequently choose to record that input to the "extra" stereo channel or not.  In this case, as will typically be the case for most tapers running an external preamp featuring a digital output, the intent is to record that digital input.  But in other scenarios you can still slave to the external clock [DIN LOCK], and either record no stereo channel at all, or record a mix of the other input channels of the 680, without recording the external digital source on the 680.  That can be useful when syncing clock with another digital-out recorder as a way of increasing channel count. 

I've recorded 10 channels that way with the DR680 in combination with an R44.  Most of the time in that scenario I have recorded two of the four additional R44 channels to the stereo channel on the 680 simply to make file alignment easier.  Those channels are then duplicated between both recorders making it easier to align the files from both machines.  And once initially aligned they remain aligned even over the course of a long recordings since they shared the same recordiong clock.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »
Make sure all the I/O for channels 1-6 are set to analog. Go into Menu then REC -> ST REC. Select DIN. Go into Function and select DIN MON. You have to do the DIN MON every time to get the DIN Lock message. Also, make sure the UA-5 is set to COAX in the back little switch. Won't work if it is set to optical. Also make sure the Stereo (Mix) channels are set to record.

To be clear, selecting DIN MON (or not) has no bearing on what gets recorded or whether you get DIN LOCK or not. It's purely for monitoring purposes while recording. The ST REC setting is the key one.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com