Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack 2, the better bit bucket right now?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Microtrack 2, the better bit bucket right now?
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a two track bit bucket. I would prefer something 4 track but that doubles the cost if not more. I have been sort of sitting and waiting for these type of units to be inproved apon and to come down in price. The dust has settled a bit. What is the current deal? For the price is the Microtrack II a good unit? Are they blowing up or breaking down? Other concerns? How are the analog converters? I think I would be using it somewhat often as a two track backup type of thing. The batts last long enough? Do you need a card reader or can you dump via USB?

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:50:47 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack 2, the better bit bucket right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a two track bit bucket. I would prefer something 4 track but that doubles the cost if not more. I have been sort of sitting and waiting for these type of units to be inproved apon and to come down in price. The dust has settled a bit. What is the cuttent deal? For the price is the Microtrack II a good unit? Are they blowing up or breaking down? Other concerns? How are the analog converters? I think I would be using it somewhat often as a two track backup type of thing. The batts last long enough? Do you need a card reader or can you dump via USB?

Thanks a lot!

I've run my mt2 now pushing a year and am happy.  The spdif digi in is perfect for my open setup and as a low pro rig, hasn't performed too badly.  I'll soon be adding a ca9100 and think that it'll be a top notch setup both ways.  IMO I've definately gotten my moneys worth.  The battery lasts 4-6 hours and there are cheap backup batt options.  Dumping by usb works fine.  You should read through the other mt2 posts.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:22:49 PM by taperwheeler »
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
I'm a little confused.  What is your intended usage?  <1> Bit bucket (digital input), <2> ADC/recorder (analog input), <3> all-in-one recorder (pre, ADC, and record), or <4> some combination?  It would be helpful to confirm since different recording devices offer different feature sets that may or may not be applicable to your intended usage.*

Also, do you have a budget?  I assume in the ~$300 range, since you're considering the MT II?

* For example, the MT I/II may act as either a bit bucket or ADC/recorder, but doesn't really offer meaningful preamp features (though this may depend on the mics and recording scenario).  The Edirol R-09 makes a nice ADC/recorder, but, like the MT I/II, doesn't have meaningful preamp features, nor can it act as a bit bucket since it has no digital input.  The Tascam HD-P2 will act as a bit bucket, ADC/recorder, or all-in-one recorder (phantom power, preamp, ADC, and recorder).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:43:43 PM »
depends on what your real use is gonna be clinton.  I know you, and you may be turned of by how 'consumer' it is.  the new marantz 661 is gonna be a smoking bit bucket I bet, but it will be about twice the price and twice the size.  the microtracks never moved me much... while I have your attention, why don't you come down to the farm on saturday!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »
Well I was asking about the AD because sometimes I would use it for that. Not for mic pre's though. Didn't even think to mention that. I almost never record two track anymore. I have a few two channel preamps with AD's that would obviously be a good option to feed the unit. Most of the time I am using all of my preamps on individual inputs and in those cases might use it to grab a submix coming from an analog source. If I had the unit I might bring out a small rig more often. My current small rig is often too big to deal with for shows that I am not worried about recording. But if I had a little rig I might more often bring a rig out to see friends play and such. Or to patch (from rigs or sbd) for shows I didn't plan to record. There have been a lot of times that I am doing FOH or monitors and have wished that I had something small to run some signal to.

The price is a factor. Maybe I should just think about going a little bit bigger and getting a 4 track or something like the Marantz. Thanks guys!

Kris - Farm has shows on Saturdays now? Interesting. I don't think I have plans. Maybe I should think about that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:03:33 PM by cleantone »
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:31:48 PM »

Kris - Farm has shows on Saturdays now? Interesting. I don't think I have plans. Maybe I should think about that.

now that the summer is over, the shows move to saturday evenings indoors.  way more intimate. check out the Tyrone thread...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,113208.0.html

... Hope to see ya there.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:43:58 AM »
My short-list for these devices was the Olympus LS-10, Edirol 09-HR and Sony PCM-D50.  These seemed to be better than the others - I eventually went for the Olympus, mainly because of its handling qualities and build quality.

But if you want 4-track, the Edirol R-44 is very affordable and also very good.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:18:28 AM »
If your gear provides optical out, I'd strongly recommend the Sony D50 over the MT.  I own the D50, and owned a MTI for years.  The MTII could be a lot better, but from the posts about it I don't think it improved that much.  The D50 is a much more reliable deck, much better internal battery powering, and has a better analog/AD path.

If you're thinking about the D50, check out this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,113385.0.html

Again, I've got no affiliation, but had a good transaction with this seller, and with the ebay/live.com cashback deal, you can pick up the D50 for $300.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline endless_soul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:37:37 PM »
im afraid i dont think that the MT2 is any good. maybe it was just mine that had something wrong, i dont know but this year i lost a third of my recording because the MT2 did not save them properly. this was never because the battery ran out, nor for faulty CF cards/ i always used kingston cards which are still perfectly working with othe devices.

at the beginning i went for the MT2 because the various types of inputs it has, but in my opinion it fails in reliability. i have now sold it and got myself a r-09hr...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com