Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 Questions on the Zoom H4n  (Read 4965 times)

Offline floxe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
3 Questions on the Zoom H4n
« on: July 27, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »
hey there,

a member of a german board recommended this forum to me when i had posted a thread about the h4n there.

i'm interested in buying a zoom h4n because i'm searching for an easy way to tape concerts when i work as foh-engineer. 2 tracks for ambience with internal mics, 2 tracks for the board-feed.

- zoom doesn't give any information on the max. spl of the internal mics. i think the lowest gain setting would be 7db - is it possible to record live-concerts at loudness of 90-100dbspl(A) without clipping the microphones respectively the AD of the h4n?

- the manual says "Maximum number of simultaneous recording file size: 2GB" - as far as i understand the h4n creates 2 stereofiles when recording in 4ch mode. does this restriction of 2gb apply to both files or can each of the two files be 2gb. for example:

recording @ 44,1khz/24bit
2gb for both stereotracks = 63min
2gb for each stereotrack  = 126min

- when i read some threads about the h4n on this board, someone already mentioned that the specs of the line-ins (max input = +2dbu) can cause problems when working with professional equipment that put out 0-20dbu. how do you handle this when you have no possibility to attenuate the level e.g. on the 2-track out? i'm thinking about getting a sm pro audio inano (http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?id=89&L=2) to be on the safe side or simply build myself some DIY-pads.

perhaps someone has used the h4n for taping concerts in 4ch already and can help me out with these questions.

all the best,
floxe
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:54:32 PM by floxe »

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 3 Questions on the Zoom H4n
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »
I have an H4n. I have taped several shows now, and I have it pretty well figured out. First of all, the internal mics are better than I expected them to be, but I  do not use them. The input sensitivity of the XLR inputs is fairly high, so I purchased a pair of Shure A15AS switchable attenuators, which work perfectly even for very high SPL's. I used these for Gov't Mule yesterday about 30' from a LOUD JBL/Crown PA system, and the rig worked perfectly. Sounds awesome. I'll get the show posted as soon as I get it tracked and uploaded.
Lots of folks on this board poo-poo Zoom based on past products, but the H4n has been very reliable and worth the low $$ in my opinion.

Offline floxe

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »
the internal mics are better than I expected them to be, but I  do not use them.
why that? is it because you can't pad them properly? have you ever tested them in a live-situation? i can't use the XLR/TRS combo input because i need it for the board feed.

Lots of folks on this board poo-poo Zoom based on past products, but the H4n has been very reliable and worth the low $$ in my opinion.
in fact it's the only 4-track handheld recorder at the moment here in europe - so i don't have a choice really.

cheers,
flo

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
I bought the H4n just 1 week ago, thinking of using it's XLR and internal MS matrix (i got a MS setup based around 2AKG blueline), i did record already lots of stuff (mainly ambient exterior) with the 2 onboard mics and they seem very similar to the sony D50, very detailed, i haven't get around to do a live 4 channel recording with the all system, I've tested it (stereo onboard) with live acoustic music, a jazz trio, piano, sax and double-bass, and the stereo mics are very good, better than I ever thought, with detail and a wonderful wide stereo image... (I was deciding between sony D50 and tascam DR-100). Perhaps I get a chance next week, I'll post something...

Otherwise I'm very pleased with it, quite and detailed, even with XLR/48v input, one of the best all around recorders, and the price... beats anything...
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
In a few months I might be flying to the US. As I wouldn't have shipping and import taxes on stuff I can bring on my pocket, I can spend the same amount and get something better.

For the price of what I was getting a Tascam DR-07, I can bring an Edirol R-09HR or a Zoom H4n.

How do these two recorders compare, if anyone did such a comparison?

Offline floxe

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
and the stereo mics are very good, better than I ever thought, with detail and a wonderful wide stereo image...

in a german magazine they did a comparison between akg c460, zoom h2, studio projects c4 and zoom h4n and the h4n sounded very similar to the studio projects c4 - that's more than i expect from a handheld recorder.

i'll head to a musicstore tomorrow and hope i can test the h4n there - i'll put 90dbspl(A) of pink noise on a PA if they allow me to do so :D

cheers,
flo

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »
I don't use the internals because I have better quality external mics that I prefer.
A few weeks ago, I was taping outdoors w/ the H4n and it started to rain. In all the chaos of trying to pack my gear up, the H4n fell out of my bag, onto the ground. (it was dark) It sat there all night, until a friend of mine found it the next morning. I let it dry out for 1 day, turned it on, and it worked perfectly. I have since used it out at about 5 or 6 shows w/ no problem. Now that is not bad!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com