Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 compact flash adapters  (Read 3663 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
722 compact flash adapters
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:56 AM »
Anyone know if the 722 can accept this:

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/06/compactflash-ad.php
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 722 compact flash adapters
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »
Pretty sweet!  Wonder if it will support the 32GB microSD cards when avail giving it a total of 128GB of storage!
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
For the right answer I would write Sound Devices.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline hypnotoad

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »
Those would kick ass in a 702, for sure!

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »
Not sure what you linked would work, but a similar offering has been confirmed to work....

http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-II-Type-Adapter-Supports/dp/B000YZGCIU

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
Someone please tell me the advantage over the standard memory chip.  Thanks
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »
the main thing I see is that SD memory costs less than equalivent CF memory

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:12:20 AM »
the main thing I see is that SD memory costs less than equivalent CF memory

If you can even find a 64gb CF card... Biggest I can find is 32. To me, thats the real advantage here, you get a jumbo single entity.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline H₂O

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »
The other advantage is the original link adapter supports RAID-0 stripping across 4 cards which allows for faster read and write times across the 4 cards then a single card.

LMA Recordings

List

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »
The other advantage is the original link adapter supports RAID-0 stripping across 4 cards which allows for faster read and write times across the 4 cards then a single card.

This is absolutely true, but I would be careful with this one.

RAID splits a single file operation across multiple drives (cards) to leverage more horsepower for faster read and writes.  This is called "striping" and is what H2O is correctly describing.

Something not everyone may be aware about "RAID" is the redundancy issue.  Even though it is part of the acronym, don't assume you are getting it.

The RAID 0 standard this card offers in fact by definition only gives you striping, no redundancy.

So for our purposes?

First of all, we are not supporting all this concurrent activity that needs striping speed.  If you have a card that is more than adequate to handle the single task at hand - write speeds capable of maintaining an error free continuous sampling rate - a "faster" write does not add anything useful.  It's not like a SQL Server that can be striped and load balances across servers.   More and more users are not logging into your SD to try to make a plane reservation.  Basically "more than good enough" and "better than the old more than good enough" have no practical difference.

The bigger question would be how does this widget respond to an error?   I am familiar with RAID concepts  but I write software not firmware or design hardware.  I know just barely enough to know that you have now introduced say 4 cards into a single system that in the event any single one fails, the entire operation just failed. So you have 4 possible cards that can now fail instead of one.

There is in no uncertain terms no redundancy in the RAID 0 standard. 

But how does the gizmo itself really work?  In order to even work at all, the card has to "look OK" to the 722, i.e it looks like a single card even though it is in fact 4.  If one errors, the SD I assume tries to close the file and start a new one like it would with a regular CF card.  What does the gizmo do with that?    Maybe the same as a regular CF card that was not totally fucked - it maybe loses some data and keeps going.

Maybe in fact it is even more robust to failure of any given card.  But maybe it says "Sorry bud, I have 3 known good cards outta 4, but I have to say good bye anyway".  This thing is not expensive and was designed I would guess for the photo market.  Those guys are not capturing 2 gigs that have to be continuous. 

What happens when a card error happens to a file striped across 4 cards instead of 1?  Are you more likely to lose the whole thing with one or the other, or is it no different?

If they make these things with a RAID config that also offers RAID redundancy on micro cards, and it is proven technology, I'd downshift to a 702 and be all over that.  RAID -0, I think I will hold off.

Many questions. Maybe someone has the answers?

SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »
I suppose they could easily do raid 1, but the mirroring would require and extra card and defeat the purpose of more total storage space.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »
I suppose they could easily do raid 1, but the mirroring would require and extra card and defeat the purpose of more total storage space.

And if you record to both the hdd and the cf slot, then you've got a form of RAID1 anyway.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline H₂O

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
Redundant RAID was developed with disk based storage in mind and not memory based storage and where systems where in constent use. 

This was to prevent data loss if a DRIVE fails.  CF cards have don't have moving parts, as many components as a disk based drive, nor generate as much heat - so redundant raid is not as critical with flash as disk based systems.

Although There is a greater chance that 1 in 4 cards will fail versus just 1 but I don't think the likelyhood is very high with our usage.  I would think of RAID 0 as stripping across 4 flash memory chips versus 4 hard disks (think of flash hard disks they use mulitple flash memory chips -> RAID 0 would just be a way to optimize read and writes to the chips on 4 seperate microSD cards).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:24:50 PM by H20 »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »

And if you record to both the hdd and the cf slot, then you've got a form of RAID1 anyway.
True dat! Hadn't thought of it that way. Problem solved.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com