Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Careful with that R-09, Eugene  (Read 4326 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Careful with that R-09, Eugene
« on: July 15, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »
Yesterday a couple of friends came by the house to check out the new place & then go shoot some pool.  I was giving the tour of the place for the one person who hadn't seen it yet and I hear my other friend ask from the living room, "Is this your new recorder thingy you were so fired up to get?" and shortly thereafter I hear a very plastic-ish thud on the ground in the living room which has ceramic tiles on the floor instead of carpet.  Walk into the living room and sure as shit he dropped my r-09 as he was setting it back down on the table.

So I check it out to see what damage was done.  It powered up OK and the menu still worked fine but when I lightly shook it something was rattling in it.   :o   Go to check the switches on the back and the top two won't stay in a left or right position anymore, they just move freely side to side now.  The other two switches below them don't really lock firmly into position, either.   :-\   I didn't have time to check it out any further since I had to get ready for bed but am going to do some test recordings and see how they turn out.

He apologized profusely and said he'd replace it or pay to get it fixed or whatever but I was still understandably pretty pissed.  He said he put a new tip on his pool cue earlier that day and ended up getting superglue on his fingertips (it's happened to me before, so I could relate) which made his fingertips slippery & it just slipped out of his fingers.  As long as I have a working recorder for ACL I'll be happy.

So, my advice to all r-09 owners is to get some type of case as soon as you can.  My advice to myself is to get some area rugs, pronto.

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
Re: Careful with that R-09, Eugene
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:09:08 PM »
damn Drew, that sucks.  I hope everything tests out ok.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:13:55 PM »
+T for your troubles.

Tell yer friends to keep their grubby paws off yer toys.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »
Thanks, fellas.  Yeah, that damn floor's been rough on me this week.  It claimed a nice piece of glass a few days ago and now this.  I want me wall-to-wall shag back--it's killing me mojo, baby. 

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »
Damn man I'm sorry to hear that.  :(

+T
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:44:29 PM »
This is one that was recommended early on - in another thread.

http://www.bodyglove.com/products_detail.php?product_id=9180

Fits the R-09 perfectly, but I chose to cut out the clear plastic front which made using the toggle button much easier.

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline gewwang

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 01:17:09 AM »
I picked this up at a Blockbuster on clearance for $5.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4183740

The case fits the R-09 snugly but you have to stretch it a bit to get the velcro to close. Even so, I'm not sure this would provide any protection in a drop like that. I figured it would at least keep the screen scratch free til I find something better.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 08:55:57 AM »
Dropped mine off a barstool  to a concrete floor the first night I had it and a day before I got the Bodyglove case.  Scratched up the front and the recorder turned off but rebooted fine.  Man I was pissed. I always keep it in the case now which works fine.  Levels can be adjusted and the power switch operated through the fabric.

Neutrino, did you cut out the whole window area or just the a square for the switch.  Anyone cut a hole in the case for the headphone jack or hold-switch? Wondering if the elasic sides will unravel if I do.  Maybe melt a hole to seal the threads together on the edges?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jtharris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
I cut a little notch out of the elastic to allow more room to plug into the headphone jack. It tries to unravel a little (gets a little fuzzy) but the elastic is still holding just fine.

That bodyglove case is darn near perfect for this thing.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
Is there a belt clip on this particular body glove ?

I'm looking for a body glove type thing with a belt clip on it (low profile clip that is). Have something now that works, but it adds to the overall dimension (width) of what's hanging on my belt.

Thanks!

Fits the R-09 perfectly, but I chose to cut out the clear plastic front which made using the toggle button much easier.

Offline DeepCreatures

• Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »
if nothing else, a big +T for the subject heading.  my handle comes from the same song >:D

peace,
ts
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 10:16:12 PM »
The Body Glove case has a belt clip on the back. Works nice. Fits like a....well, sorta like if you had a glove on your body. Yeah that's it.

Is there a belt clip on this particular body glove ?
I'm looking for a body glove type thing with a belt clip on it (low profile clip that is). Have something now that works, but it adds to the overall dimension (width) of what's hanging on my belt.

Thanks!

MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline von Stroheim

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »
Hi,
this is slightly OT, but has anyone of you been able to purchase the Edirol R-09 case on its own, without the stand?
I have mine in a Caselogic Camera case at the moment, but I would prefer the original - it is not exactly cheap and I would never need the stand.

Any ideas?

von Stroheim
OKM II
Edirol R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »
For at least safely storing, and also useful when recording outside is what I named the 'Daylight viewing' case makes the screen visible in bright daylight.  This is shown below with small preamp attached to the belt-loop at bottom of case.

I still have these cases available, but Sakar Corp. recently changed the design slightly to be a bit more roomy so deck is not as snug inside, and elastic viewing hood side sections are now 1/3 narrower to not shade as completely (everything still works OK) and the rear belt loop that was Velcro attached on one side is now simply sewn on both ends web strap material.  This case is still the best I have found for both protecting and allowing daylight screen viewing.

Also, having taken apart as many as five R-09 decks, your description of the slide switches not functioning suggests the two sandwiched circuit boards got jarred enough to disconnect the switch plastic couplings floating inside the rubber flex panels on both sides of the deck.  Most likely nothing permanently damaged, but near complete deck dis-assembly seems only way to restore full operation. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com