Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: modifiying Nakamichi CM-700's??  (Read 14398 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: modifiying Nakamichi CM-700's??
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »
According to ts, from an earlier post, what I want done is not permanent and can be switched back to its full body form.  Just curious, what do you think I'd get for the pair if I sold them?  I know I'll probably get a lot of disagreeing comments on this, but if I was to replace them I wouldn't want anything less than Shoeps or B & K's (or DPA's), as I consider them to be in that class.  The main difference to me is that the 700's power source is self contained and I wouldn’t have to use phantom power.  So, that said, I do respect these mics and fully appreciate them for what they are on more than one level.  I just need the ability to put them in a hat or something to better conceal them from pesky security.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Roving Sign

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
  I know I'll probably get a lot of disagreeing comments on this, but if I was to replace them I wouldn't want anything less than Shoeps or B & K's (or DPA's), as I consider them to be in that class. 

Let me be the first to say....pffftt!!!!!  >:D No way...not even the same school...

To be honest - the 700s always sound a bit weak to me - like they are about to explode with any loud sources...

I think the 300's sound better...

Arent these 700s the same primo caps you can buy on ebay for like 20 bucks...?

I think the collectablilty of the 700s outweighs their value as actual microphones...sell them and get something good...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:47:50 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
Arent these 700s the same primo caps you can buy on ebay for like 20 bucks...?

I think the collectablilty of the 700s outweighs their value as actual microphones...sell them and get something good...

I think you're referring to these:  http://tinyurl.com/cqn9rn

...which are the same capsule as the CM-50's:  http://www.nakmics.com/nak-cm50.htm 

The CM-50's are slightly larger in diameter than the 700s.  As for audible similarities, I have not ran the DM-50's.  Helluva deal though, to make a homemade set of flat omnis.  Pair them with some phantom adapters and you'd have a nice hrtf rig.  While the 50's are wider than the 700's, they are shorter than the attenuator barrels of the 700s. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
I knew I'd be opening up a can of worms with that one.  The funny thing about microphones are that there are so many different ones.  Kind of like colors, people have favorites and no one is really right.  If we were talking about some cheap mic that you'd pick up at a Raido Shack or Wall Mart, it would be black and white.  However, you're not.  The comparison is between several different mics that many people like and enjoy the sound of.  One of the many nice things about the Nak 700's is that they are very forgiving mics.  Some high end mics are not and therefore not as conducive to a non-perfect stealth situation, whereas the 700's are good in almost any setting.  As far as the scaled down size, nothing in that quality scope beats it...in my opinion.  As my father used to say, "that's what makes up a horse race".  Or, simply put, "different strokes for different folks".  Or even better yet, "opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one".  I happen to like the Shoeps and the B&K's/DPA's very much, but I don't have the money for either of them and I already own the NAK 700's, which I'm very happy with and have made some outstanding recordings with.
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

J.T.L

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
Here was something I was looking for...

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
That one was earlier on http://www.nakmics.com/

I had contact with the man using them (Dukatis or something like it). It is just a way of bypassing the balancing output transformer and substituting a couple of passive components. I have seen pictures of these too.

Roger

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
But who will do the work??????????
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
You will need a good mechnical shop to make the new tubes. I think the threads are quite a difficult task. It will normally not be for free and might take some time before they get right. Time is money.... As the output transformer is removed, you will probably get a hoter output (in the CM-300 there is some 11-14dB more after such an operation). The series capacitor will not be needed if your mic preamp already have an input capacitor. Do you have a schematic for the CM-700? Maybe it is like the CM-300?

Roger
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:58:54 PM by Roger Gustavsson »

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 07:10:38 AM »
Believe it or not, I'm still trying to find someone that does this modification and will do it.  So if anyone out there knows someone who does, please put them in contact with me.  Thanks.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »
If Busman's not able to do it....  another gear builder/modder/guru around is Church Audio.... he's on the board.  I've seen pics of some chopped Naks (300's I think) that he's done....  and they look nice....  haven't heard em.....  but they look nice!  He also builds low profile mics and preamps..... 

I'm a proud owner of some Busman gear....  and trust him completely....  if he's not getting back to you, don't take it personally....  his expertise is in demand on various projects.  I do know that he and his family had moved from one state to another....  so I'm sure that has caused delays/difficulties.  But he is trustworthy!!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

kirk97132

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »
Believe it or not, I'm still trying to find someone that does this modification and will do it.  So if anyone out there knows someone who does, please put them in contact with me.  Thanks.

Did Korby turn you down or is it a case of no response from him?

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 06:47:48 AM »
Dude, I haven't got a response from anyone!  I have emailed, called and repeated.  I don't know what else I can do.  I wanted very much to give the person doing the work plenty of time before I would need them, but time is narrowing.  Any other suggestions?  Maybe if any of the people responding to me that may have an open dialogue with the guys that they are recommending can ask them to contact me??
captaincomic@juno.com or through this site would be great.  Thanks again.
Simple & Sweet!

Roving Sign

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »

Totally believable...

1 - It's been "done"

2 - No replacement parts if the modder screws up...(the 300s are a bit more ubliquous - and you can still get parts for them)

3 - They still bring a healthy price in the collector market (ie people who arent actually USING them)

4 - They're like 30 years old! - Not sure if electrets last forever...but they have probably lost a bit of their original sound/charge

Sell them while you still can and buy some GOOD mics...!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:50:35 AM by Roving Sign »

Roving Sign

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 06:52:33 AM »
Dude, I haven't got a response from anyone!  I have emailed, called and repeated.  I don't know what else I can do. 

HINT: That's sort of the contract workers polite way of saying..."not interested"

Roving Sign

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:35 AM »
If Busman's not able to do it....  another gear builder/modder/guru around is Church Audio.... he's on the board.  I've seen pics of some chopped Naks (300's I think) that he's done....  and they look nice....  haven't heard em.....  but they look nice!  He also builds low profile mics and preamps..... 

I'm a proud owner of some Busman gear....  and trust him completely....  if he's not getting back to you, don't take it personally....  his expertise is in demand on various projects.  I do know that he and his family had moved from one state to another....  so I'm sure that has caused delays/difficulties.  But he is trustworthy!!!

Pretty sure Chris indicated he had no interest in doing any more Nak mods...as I recall he seemed to think there just wasnt that much to be gained...and just wasn't worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:15:13 AM by Roving Sign »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com