Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JZ Microphones BT-201 samples  (Read 13406 times)

Offline tcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: JZ Microphones BT-201 samples
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
This was such a fun night.  Set 2 had Luke Bulla coming out and he fit in really well. 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »
why oh why do I have to work nights?  I would love to hit these monday nights with you and Dirk.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »
why oh why do I have to work nights?  I would love to hit these monday nights with you and Dirk.

you're the "teacher" aren't ya?  dismiss class early... ;)
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stirinthesauce

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »

you're the "teacher" aren't ya?  dismiss class early... ;)

uhhhh, when I'm billing insurance companies, that would be called fraud for billing hours the clients are not there.  Plus, I need my low paying job  :P  Half my billing is to ya'll anyways.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:49 PM »
WOW!  Nice sample.  Smooooooooth.   8)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 03:59:45 PM »
Omni capsules, stage lip.  Split approximately 3-4 feet.  Band was unmiked (it's a tiny bar), so this is pure stage sound.

JZ BT201 omni -> V3 @ 24/44.1

No adjustments except for dither in Ozone 3

Guthrie Trapp on guitar, Dave Rowe on bass, Doug Belote on drums and Jeff Coffin on sax.

http://www.bigpurpledog.com/audio/JZomniV3sample.flac
Very nice sound on this one...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »
Half my billing is to ya'll anyways.
;D

This sounds top notch to me.
Ton of detail and well balanced.
Did you run into the r-44?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »
Half my billing is to ya'll anyways.
;D

This sounds top notch to me.
Ton of detail and well balanced.
Did you run into the r-44?

yes, but via SPDIF.  So it's basically all V3...

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
very nice sound there!  they are so detailed!  not very warm though...

so i take it your a fan of the grace sound now, dirk?  i remember reading your not liking it a long time ago. 

i love mine.  im taking it 6ft under with me someday.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
very nice sound there!  they are so detailed!  not very warm though...

Yes they are VERY detailed.  they are definitely not warm, which is the reason for this post:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,116395.0.html

so i take it your a fan of the grace sound now, dirk?  i remember reading your not liking it a long time ago. 

i love mine.  im taking it 6ft under with me someday.

Can't say I'm a fan, necessarily.  It's a better match for my current mics than my Sonosax was.  Back in the day though, the Sonosax paired better with what I was using than the V3 did.  I had a V3 for a while a long time ago and it just didn't work any kind of magic.  The Sonosax ate its lunch regularly, so I became sort of anti-Grace for a while there.

Now, the mics I have (particularly the Nevatons) pair nicely with the Grace so it's a better fit for me right now. 

Gonna be buried with your V3 eh?  I'm going to be buried with my Nevatons, and the Grace goes pretty well with them.  So I guess I might end up being buried with a V3 as well... :P

;D

stirinthesauce

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Like if Luke was pulled to the Dark Side, you don't think that could happen.

/the anti grace signs off

;)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Like if Luke was pulled to the Dark Side, you don't think that could happen.

/the anti grace signs off

;)

GIVE

ME

YOUR

COOPER

stirinthesauce

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
You can borrow it any time.  Lord knows when I will tape next.  Can't believe the day has come where you get out more than me.   :P

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »
Omni capsules, stage lip.  Split approximately 3-4 feet.  Band was unmiked (it's a tiny bar), so this is pure stage sound.

Guthrie Trapp on guitar, Dave Rowe on bass, Doug Belote on drums and Jeff Coffin on sax.

Richard

After hearing a number of different samples I find the JZ samples rather consistently have a sort of top end harshness to my ear, like a resonance around 7khz and it's difficult for me to eq to sound to compensate.  The U89 comp sample in the which do you prefer thread also needed a touch of eq- a flat shelf boost, but that boost was easier for me to dial in that the more complex contoured cut I tend to need for the JZs, which I'm less successful in correcting.

Richard, you've mentioned many times that you hear a harshness with the DPA 4060.  I sometimes find an over emphasized resonance with the 4060's that is higher in frequency, in the neighborhood of 10-15khz, but it is not always apparent to me and I find the 4060 top end boost characteristic less objectionable and more easily fixed when I do hear it.

Am I correct in understanding that the JZ samples sound less objectionable to you in that aspect than the 4060?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »

Richard

After hearing a number of different samples I find the JZ samples rather consistently have a sort of top end harshness to my ear, like a resonance around 7khz and it's difficult for me to eq to sound to compensate.  The U89 comp sample in the which do you prefer thread also needed a touch of eq- a flat shelf boost, but that boost was easier for me to dial in that the more complex contoured cut I tend to need for the JZs, which I'm less successful in correcting.

Richard, you've mentioned many times that you hear a harshness with the DPA 4060.  I sometimes find an over emphasized resonance with the 4060's that is higher in frequency, in the neighborhood of 10-15khz, but it is not always apparent to me and I find the 4060 top end boost characteristic less objectionable and more easily fixed when I do hear it.

Am I correct in understanding that the JZ samples sound less objectionable to you in that aspect than the 4060?
I found the DPA406x to be consistently annoying.  Your first reaction is "holy shit, I feel like I'm there", then you listen for ten minutes, and it just doesn't sound like "music".  It sounds like any other "noise" would, clanking glasses, chairs moving, etc.  My *guess* is there is something wrong with the high end.  But I can't say what it is.  All I know is that when I listen to something like Beyerdynamic, I hear the music and not the room.  There is obviously less detail, but it doesn't bother me, I still enjoy listening, over and over.  Now, comparing DPA to something like Nevaton MCE400 or Countryman B3, those mics have almost as much detail as the DPA, and none of the annoying part.  That's why I stopped using DPA...

JZ samples? To me they had a bit of that DPA "crunch" that bothered me.  Not as much, but I didn't enjoy listening.

I have no idea what is going on.  All I know is some mics sound "smooth as silk" and other mics sound "crunchy".  I would say AKG 463 is somewhere is the middle.  Awesome detail, but a bit crunchy.  Now, Geffel M200, that is smooth.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com