Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode NT4?  (Read 13456 times)

Offline dave570

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Rode NT4?
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:18:48 AM »
So who here has used the Rode NT4 mic?  Any good or bad reviews about it when recording rock music?  Lack of a switchable low-frequency roll-off and -10 dB input attenuation is a bit of a downer. But it looks like a good one.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: Rode NT4?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
don't waste your time. for the same price you can grab some of these: http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html  which are handbuilt by one of our board member. Search BUSMAN

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:44:28 AM »
I recently bought one and am very happy with the purchase. It is quiet and detailed, easy to use and with a clear sound and stereo image, at least for its price.
Anyway, just my personal opinion - please consider that I don't tape rock music (mostly jazz) and that the lack of attenuator or  roll off is no problem to me because I have these features on the mixpre.

Offline moooose

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
don't waste your time. for the same price you can grab some of these: http://www.busmanaudio.com/bsc1.html  which are handbuilt by one of our board member.

mumble mumble....
I prefer apples to apples, mono to mono, stereo to stereo. Rode NT4 is a stereo mic.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
The Busman mics are a stereo pair which come with the following capsules: Omni, Cardioid, Hyper Cardioid, and Wide Cardioid.  If you are looking for a stereo microphone, he also offers an LD Stereo mic as well. I can see where you are coming from when it comes to ease of use of the NT4. No preamp necessary. You can plug straight into a recorder.

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »
I've visited the Busman site, and there is a stereo mic which is sold with a power supply. Then the sheet says "it can also be powered with phantom power". So, what is the "supplied power supply"?
Apart from that, has anyone any advice on this mic, and how coud it work with edirol r09hr for recording classical?
thank you very much
c

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
It's just a phantom box basically if your deck doesn't provide 48v.  Take a listen to this.  This is the Busman multipattern stereo mic.  I think it sounds outstanding.  This set was 100% unplugged.  He sang and played right into it.

http://www.archive.org/details/shinyribs2008-08-03.workshopbarnstage-busmanaudioBSCSM.flac16

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 01:43:58 PM »
I've visited the Busman site, and there is a stereo mic which is sold with a power supply. Then the sheet says "it can also be powered with phantom power". So, what is the "supplied power supply"?
Apart from that, has anyone any advice on this mic, and how coud it work with edirol r09hr for recording classical?
thank you very much
c

(mark beat me to it, and I'm lazy to edit my post)

The BSCS-L and BSCS-M include power supplies if you were going to use them in the studio or with a pre-amp that doesn't provide P48. For live taping purposes, most of our recorders or pre-amps will supply P48, and thats what I do with mine.

If you were going to use the R09HR, then your signal chain could be accomplished via BSCS-L (or BSCS-M) > Denecke PS2 > R-09. The PS2 provides the phantom, but doesn't handle any pre-amp functions. Core-Sound makes a similar product as do others, I just reference the PS2 since I've seen one in the field before.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »
Thank you. I was wondering if with this power supply (which, as I understand, powers the mic instead of a phantom) it is possible to directly plug the mic into edirol mic input (with an adapter from mono xlr's to minijack, of course). Apart from this I couldn't find specs on this mics talking about self noise and sensitivity, which  could prove significant in order to avoid noise issues with pocket decks. Is Busman distributed in Europe?

Regarding the Rode nt4 (which is the present topic) I wonder how it could couple with piano classical music, as it is difficult to find such samples on google.
thanks
c

Offline moooose

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 03:41:06 AM »
in http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NT4 you will find some sound samples, including piano and vocals.

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:09:34 AM »
Thank you,
I've already watched the piano and vocals video, and it's not bad. In the video I can see the mic placed 4 or 5 metres far from the source, with the singer closer than the piano.
I guess how this mic would sound closer to the source (i.e. 1 mt from the piano) in terms of tone (in the video the piano sound wasn't enough deep for my taste). With such a close miking one could maybe try to go straight line in?
thank you
c

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »
dave570, the Røde NT 4 is a stereo microphone based on a pair of coincident cardioid capsules set so that each one points 45 degrees away from the intended "center line" of the recording.

Røde microphones in general are nothing to be ashamed of, but that configuration just doesn't make sense for the kind of music recording that people here mostly do. There are close-miking applications for this type of microphone; stereo microphones are more of a Good Thing in studios than many people seem to realize until they try one. But as the main overall pair for concert recording, I would never use coincident cardioids with only a 90-degree angle between them--not even with microphones of much higher quality.

A cardioid pattern isn't at all "sharp." It's really just an omni with slightly reduced sensitivity at the sides and distinctly lower sensitivity behind it (though this directional pattern often varies significantly in different frequency ranges; most switchable-pattern microphones have a "cardioid" setting in which the low frequency pickup pattern is much wider than the pickup pattern in the midrange. Many manufacturers show their microphones' patterns only at 1 kHz and not also, say, at 50 to 100 Hz. But I digress).

The main thing is, in most normal concert recording situations the microphones aren't close to any particular sound source, so a ±45-degree angle between two cardioid capsules doesn't give enough differentiation between the left and right microphone signals to distribute the apparent sound sources across the width of the stereophonic "sound stage." The two capsules end up picking up largely the same information as each other, since their patterns overlap so much. The result is a recording that is largely monophonic--during playback over loudspeakers, all the apparent sound sources tend to crowd in together at the center of the stereo image. Good stereo imaging requires a greater difference between left and right signals than coincident cardioids at so narrow an angle can produce in a non-close-miking situation.

If on the other hand your miking was quite close-in, the balance would then be weighted heavily toward whatever sound source the mikes were closest to. For most concert recording that's not any good, either--though as I said, studio engineers (or even live sound engineers with stereo P.A. systems) can use this effect to advantage, and the NT 4 has gotten some good reviews from studio magazines.

It's much more difficult to manufacture good-sounding capsules with greater directivity than cardioid, but in an X/Y stereo microphone that's doomed to have a fixed angle between its capsules, no switchable patterns and no M/S capability, supercardioid capsules would give a better stereo image. Alternatively, a good pair of small axial cardioids in an "ORTF" arrangement can be a very useful thing. I used to have a microphone like that (a Schoeps MSTC) and it proved to be quite a workhorse.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:04:52 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
Thank you. I was wondering if with this power supply (which, as I understand, powers the mic instead of a phantom) it is possible to directly plug the mic into edirol mic input (with an adapter from mono xlr's to minijack, of course). Apart from this I couldn't find specs on this mics talking about self noise and sensitivity, which  could prove significant in order to avoid noise issues with pocket decks. Is Busman distributed in Europe?

The NT4 and Busman series all require P48, so no, you'd need something else (either the PS2, 2Phant, or the supplied power supply) to provide that as the Edirol R09 series recorders do not provide P48 to mics. For non-P48 applications, you'd need something like the minature Core Sound mics, or Church Audio mics, both makers have mics that run on 9v batteries or "plugin" power which I think is provided from the R09 series.

As for specs:
http://www.rodemicrophones.com/microphone.php?product=NT4 (already noted above, click on specs tab)
http://busmanaudio.com/bscs_l.html (specs at bottom)

Roughly the same, couple of nuances. For missing specs (like the S/N ratio or conversion of sensitivity to mv/pa), there is a calculator somewhere around here that will take any of the two bits of info provided and derive the third. Most of the differences will be in their sound and as Satz noted; what they can accomplish for patterns and setup.

edit: I'm retarded sometimes, thought the NT4 was P48 only (see next post for correction), didn't know about the battery option.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:13:37 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
Page, the NT4 does not require P48.  It has the option of internal battery, or P48....

That said, I highly recomend running the mic from P48, it sounds noticably better than running it from the battery.

The NT4 does sound nice close to the source and as Dsatz mentioned it finds some really nice uses in the studio.  If you are set on the NT4 and need to record from a distance you can purchase a pair of the studio projects C4 hyper card capsules, these fit and function on the NT4 quite well.  The hyper will give you a better stereo recording angle for concert field recording...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline moooose

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »
Page, the NT4 does not require P48.  It has the option of internal battery, or P48....

That said, I highly recomend running the mic from P48, it sounds noticably better than running it from the battery.

definitely.

you can purchase a pair of the studio projects C4 hyper card capsules, these fit and function on the NT4 quite well. 

Boing! Really? Could you share more infos about that?

TIA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com