Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser?  (Read 7818 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser?
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
I'd like some opinions. I have at my disposal two sets of mics, one a pair of Beyerdynamic MCE 86 shotguns, and the other a pair of Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotguns. At the end of the month I plan on recording moe. and Rusted Root at the Tower City Amphitheater in Cleveland, and I can't decide which ones to use. The Sennheisers use battery power and the Beyers don't, which really isn't an issue, since my recorder, a PMD660, runs the Beyers almost 3 hours on cheapo batteries. I looked at the polar pattern diagrams and the frequency response diagrams to decide which to use, but the Sennheisers list the response in dBv, whereas the Beyers are in straight dB.

OK, so I guess this might be a two part question. How do I compare the two diagrams when they are in different units, and which mics should I use? The venue is outdoor, but I have windscreens for boths, and shockmounts. I'm thinking I might want to do one segment with one set, then the other with the other set, to compare the two. Opinons, gentlemen? (and ladies...)
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »
You can directly compare the graphs.  Each graph will show the mic’s deviation from some zero point at a particular frequency so you may be able to get an idea of the mic’s tonal balance.  Most often this zero point is the mic’s level at 1000 Hz.

The Sennheiser graph gives absolute output levels at a particular frequency since it gives a reference level, in this case dBv, or the level relative to 0.775 V.  Most of the time dBv is now written dBu so that it will not be confused with dBV, which is the level relative to 1 V.

Rather than pouring over graphs, your best way to pick the mic to use … is to use the mics, and listen to the result.  However even this test is not definitive because in some cases mic “S” may work better, in other situations mic “B” may sound the best.  And of course mic placement is a huge factor, as well as the sound system you play the recording on, and the room, and many other factors.

The good news is these mics are of a comparable good quality so you should be able to get a good recording using either model.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »
Just a side note--dBV is always relative to 1 Volt. The V should be upper-case because it derives from a proper name (Volta), just as the B should be upper-case because it derives from the name Bell. The meaning wouldn't be changed if someone didn't use upper-case, but it would reflect on the user's lack of engineering literacy.

dBu is always relative to 0.775 Volt. The u should be lower-case; etc., etc., etc.

dBm is the one that has been misused a lot. It has fallen out of favor for audio in recent years, since we don't use impedance matching or 600 Ohm loads any more. It means "dB relative to 1 mW" with a 600 Ohm load implied, since this scale (like the dB on which it is based) comes to us from Western Electric and the Bell System. 0 dBm is reached at 0.775 Volt BUT it isn't a voltage measurement; it's a power measurement. For years after impedance matching and 600-Ohm loads were as dead as doornails, audio people still tried to use dBm as if it was a voltage measurement. That's why dBu was invented--it's a voltage measurement that takes no account of load impedance.

-- pedantic best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
If I understand correctly, that would mean conversion between units can be done by simply mulitplying one unit by the conversion factor.

dBu = dBV x 0.775

and

dBV = dBu x 1.29

Correct?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
If I understand correctly, that would mean conversion between units can be done by simply mulitplying one unit by the conversion factor.

dBu = dBV x 0.775

and

dBV = dBu x 1.29

Correct?

I don't think so (but, of course, I may be wrong).  The dB measurements are logarithms of ratios so you would have to multiply the denominator of the ratio by a conversion factor then take the logarithm of the result (assuming that the reference voltage, 0.775 or 1, is the denominator)...No sense in doing that, though, since you would need to know the signal voltage to form the ratio and, knowing that, you could then just switch the reference voltage.

EDIT TO ADD:  It occurred to me that the difference between the two should be a constant...~2.214 dB if my math is right...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:15:25 PM by aaronji »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »

dBu = dBV x 0.775

and

dBV = dBu x 1.29

Correct?

I don't think so (but, of course, I may be wrong).  The dB measurements are logarithms of ratios so you would have to multiply the denominator of the ratio by a conversion factor then take the logarithm of the result (assuming that the reference voltage, 0.775 or 1, is the denominator)...No sense in doing that, though, since you would need to know the signal voltage to form the ratio and, knowing that, you could then just switch the reference voltage.

EDIT TO ADD:  It occurred to me that the difference between the two should be a constant...~2.214 dB if my math is right...

This is correct.  Because dB are on a log scale, ratios become additive.  So just add 2.2 dB to dBV to get dBu, and subtract 2.2 dB from dBu to get dBV.

But for the OP, what matters isn't absolute sensitivity at a given frequency, but the shape of sensitivity vs. frequency.  But looking at graphs can only tell you so much especially when measured by different companies who may use different techniques and/or tolerances.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
I suspected the ratio/log business would mean there was more to it.

Thanks for walking me through.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline taperjeff

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA recordings:
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
I think the other responses covered your first question on specs well.  If your really trying to compare directly, the problem with running one pair the first set or group and the other pair duing the second set is usually the soundguy takes part of the first half of the first set to correctly set the sound.  I would try to find a second deck and compare or set your mics up and let someone else use be the lead deck on the second pair of mics.  Let me know if you post I would like to hear the difference.

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 11:49:46 AM »
I think the other responses covered your first question on specs well.  If your really trying to compare directly, the problem with running one pair the first set or group and the other pair duing the second set is usually the soundguy takes part of the first half of the first set to correctly set the sound.  I would try to find a second deck and compare or set your mics up and let someone else use be the lead deck on the second pair of mics.  Let me know if you post I would like to hear the difference.

That would be ideal, but I don't think I'll be able to. I will switch mics between bands, though.
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:58:41 PM »

That would be ideal, but I don't think I'll be able to. I will switch mics between bands, though.

The Idea I purpose would not be ideal wither however I'll suggest it any way:
got to a show that you don't care too much about- or s free show, run both mics  together- one int the left channel the other  in the right, Beyer left, sennheiser right. it wouldn't be exactly ideal, or accurate
however you can listen to each mic singularly  and do a comp that way.

I take it that you like the way shotguns sound?  While I have heard excellent recordings with guns, I'd opt for being closer with spaced omnis pair of DINa or ORTF Cards.  or blumlein figure 8's.
since you have the guns try them out in some comps before then, you could even run a few songs with one pair, and swap them out run a few with the other pair and take notes and do a careful listen. posting a comp could give others the chance to comment on what they like  and why.
but we all like different flavors of m mics, and all have different ears and different preferences

go with what you like!

peace
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:55:54 PM »

I take it that you like the way shotguns sound?  While I have heard excellent recordings with guns, I'd opt for being closer with spaced omnis pair of DINa or ORTF Cards.  or blumlein figure 8's.

peace
--Ian

I've only ever done one show with guns (not these). It's just that these mics are far and away better than what I have, and I can borrow them from work. We also have a Schoeps shotgun, but alas, only one.
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
As it turns out, I was only able to get the Beyers, but I was very happy with them.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=535480

- Lawrence Krauss

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
I'd much rather use the beyers....  I've had both and sold the senn me set...  I reallly like the akg 568s for shotguns n music

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »
I'd much rather use the beyers....  I've had both and sold the senn me set...  I reallly like the akg 568s for shotguns n music

LOL   :laugh:

The post before yours was about 18 months ago - it's all done and dusted by now.  :laugh:  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »

LOL   :laugh:

The post before yours was about 18 months ago - it's all done and dusted by now.  :laugh:  ;D

I agree about the AKGs. I almost bought a pair a few years back :) But since I have some kickass hypers, Im pretty much covered in that aspect!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:25 AM »
John Willett, still can be value bringing new info or opinion to older threads...... net does it real reel good, too

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com