Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT2022 X/Y Stereo Microphone  (Read 11261 times)

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: AT2022 X/Y Stereo Microphone
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:39 PM »
I was just wondering wether the signal comes balanced or unbalanced out of the mic in order to purchase a cable terminated into two mono xlr outs. So the mic could be used with the supplied minijack when directly plugged into a pocket recorder, or with xlr's when coupled to a littlebox or other preamp.

I also looked at the specs posted by Sunjan about the 9943 which is probably the Asian version of this new 2022; the only difference which comes into mind is that the 9943 comes out with a 5pin output while the 2022 is three pin.  Don't know exactly the difference but somebody may be interested.

I'm just wondering what this mic will stand up in a comparison with AT8022.

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
I was just wondering wether the signal comes balanced or unbalanced out of the mic in order to purchase a cable terminated into two mono xlr outs. So the mic could be used with the supplied minijack when directly plugged into a pocket recorder, or with xlr's when coupled to a littlebox or other preamp.

I also looked at the specs posted by Sunjan about the 9943 which is probably the Asian version of this new 2022; the only difference which comes into mind is that the 9943 comes out with a 5pin output while the 2022 is three pin.  Don't know exactly the difference but somebody may be interested.

I'm just wondering what this mic will stand up in a comparison with AT8022.
It's unbalanced. It is impossible for it to be balanced as three pins are needed for a balanced line for each channel. That is why the other one has a 5 pin. That is balanced(the ground is shared in the fifth pin for both channels). On this one, it is not wired like a regular XLR out on a microphone- one pin is left, one is right, and the other is ground.

Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »
It seems like there are quite a bit of stereo mics on the market, but there's a little confusion in my head, expecially for what concerns Audio-technica.

First there was AT 822 and 825 (the second came with both phantom and battery option)- specs said about 30-20.000  htz

Then they were recently  replaced  by  AT 8022  (phantom and battery) - specs about 20 - 15.000!!

Now the new 2022 (battery only) - no specs by now but it's Jap "brother" claims a wider respons compared to AT8022, more similar to the old 825

First question:  Do the recent AT8022 and the brand new AT 2022 look like equivalent products or they are intended for a different use?

Second question (mistery gets thicker...):  AT825 is non longer made, but there are at least two products  ( Fostex mc11 and Tascam stpro) which are available and look identical to the old Audio-Technica both in their look and in the specs.....seems like it's the same mic re-branded.

Assuming this being true I wonder which one would be the best buy to use with portable recorders...

Third and last question:  Being powered with only a 1.5v battery can tell us something about expected performance, comparing this to other mics like Rode nt4 which need 9v to run?

thanks a lot for any help

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
It seems like there are quite a bit of stereo mics on the market, but there's a little confusion in my head, expecially for what concerns Audio-technica.

First there was AT 822 and 825 (the second came with both phantom and battery option)- specs said about 30-20.000  htz

Then they were recently  replaced  by  AT 8022  (phantom and battery) - specs about 20 - 15.000!!

Now the new 2022 (battery only) - no specs by now but it's Jap "brother" claims a wider respons compared to AT8022, more similar to the old 825

First question:  Do the recent AT8022 and the brand new AT 2022 look like equivalent products or they are intended for a different use?

Second question (mistery gets thicker...):  AT825 is non longer made, but there are at least two products  ( Fostex mc11 and Tascam stpro) which are available and look identical to the old Audio-Technica both in their look and in the specs.....seems like it's the same mic re-branded.

Assuming this being true I wonder which one would be the best buy to use with portable recorders...

Third and last question:  Being powered with only a 1.5v battery can tell us something about expected performance, comparing this to other mics like Rode nt4 which need 9v to run?

thanks a lot for any help

There's also the Audio Technica BP4025, a stereo mic with a 5-pin balanced connector. Phantom power only.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »
I know this, but I mentioned only mics with only battery power or with battery + phantom option

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
anybody know the pin assignment for this cable.  It is definitely 3 pin xlr out and I want it terminated to a stereo mini cable.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
I know this, but I mentioned only mics with only battery power or with battery + phantom option

The information wasn't particularly for you.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com