Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Shockmounts/Clips for SDC's under $50  (Read 12761 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Best Shockmounts/Clips for SDC's under $50
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
Which model is the Shure donut mount everyone is talking about?

A55M?

Yes - the A53M and A55M.

Offline flicflac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »
I purchased the inv-7's http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=inv-7&N=0&InitialSearch=yes and am very happy with them.
Although after having them for a few days I can see the potential for scuffing up the mics.
Now somebody posts a link for these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758980-REG/Rycote_041118_INV_HG_MKII_InVision_Indoor.html
and I seem to think they may be a better choice as they look like they may be more gentle on the mics..
I may just be on my way back to B&H for an exchange.
Any suggestions or input on this?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:16 PM »
Addressing the OP's under $50 limitation I have to recommend the Avantone SSM mounts; and it just so happens there is a pair currently in the yard for $40 shipped. The one "negative" is their weight, which is substantial since they are all metal.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
Addressing the OP's under $50 limitation I have to recommend the Avantone SSM mounts; and it just so happens there is a pair currently in the yard for $40 shipped. The one "negative" is their weight, which is substantial since they are all metal.

But it's a pretty horrible mount compared to the Rycote "Lyre" design.  The Rubber O-rings need replacing now and again and the mic. can be prone to droop and bounce.

It depends if you want cheap or you want effective - in fact, the Rycote is both cheap and effective. 

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
I use the Beyer shocks mentioned on page 1 of this thread. Very light weight and compact, but 55 each. The Rycote 7's are 62 each. Both of these choices can be qualified as effective, but not cheap. I think the original poster wants something under 50 for the pair. ;) The Busmans or similar would be the way to go.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
I use the Beyer shocks mentioned on page 1 of this thread. Very light weight and compact, but 55 each. The Rycote 7's are 62 each. Both of these choices can be qualified as effective, but not cheap. I think the original poster wants something under 50 for the pair. ;) The Busmans or similar would be the way to go.

The OP said that he did not want to pay more than $50 each.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 02:31:40 PM »
(preferably $25 if it is quality and not paying for a name) So we're both kinda right. :P

I always believed that shocks are primarily for isolation from bumps, etc. What effect can they have on sound if any?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
John, are any of the Rycote's under $50 ea?  If not I stand by my recommendation of the Avantone SSM. With the pair in the yard @ $40/pr, I don't think anything else can beat them for what the OP wants to spend. They may not be the "best" but they are more than adequate.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
^^ Or the OP could buy the Tensimounts that are being offered in the same sale.  Probably just as effective as the Avantone and half the price.

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
John, are any of the Rycote's under $50 ea? 

Yes - in the UK all the Rycote InVision range are under $50 - they are £30 each.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »
Lucky you. Here in the states I've always seen them in the $70 range and up, thus my disallowing them in options $50 and under.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
John, are any of the Rycote's under $50 ea? 

Yes - in the UK all the Rycote InVision range are under $50 - they are £30 each.

Yeah, here in the USA they are selling for $62 universally everywhere which works out to only $24 per pair over budget, but it's worth saving and spending the extra dollars imho.  Rycote INV definitely meets the best sdc shockmounts portion of OP's request, there's not even a close second as far as I'm concerned.

£30 = $47.61 with current exchange rate which is under $50 so they apparently go for less across the pond where they are made and thus meet the full request over there.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Chimney Top

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
i've been using the shure donut mounts for about a week now, and while they are very durable and portable and a good price... i'm finding that Neumann 184's with the XLR connected is too heavy for them.  any solutions besides tilt them forward to compensate/balance?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
i've been using the shure donut mounts for about a week now, and while they are very durable and portable and a good price... i'm finding that Neumann 184's with the XLR connected is too heavy for them.  any solutions besides tilt them forward to compensate/balance?

The Shure donut is probably the second-best shockmount after the Rycote - it is really is very effective.

I would move the mic. so that the centre of gravity is in the centre of the donut - and use a short thin and flexible cable as the output so the weight of the cable won't pull the mic. off-centre.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com