Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C422  (Read 13228 times)

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: AKG C422
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
I got a new screen for mine direct from AKG parts a few years ago. Can't seem to find a phone number though.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »
On windscreens, I would check the measurements of the 422 against other stereo LD's like the LSD2, Busman, etc.  I haven't seen any of these in person for a long time, but my gut feeling is the headbaskets are pretty similar in size.  Then you buy (for instance) an LSD2 windscreen at moderate cost.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-AKG-C422-VINTAGE-STEREO-MICROPHONE-MIC-C426-C424-C414EB-C414-CK12-/110930229117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d3f4f77d#ht_11651wt_1398.

Did anyone elese take notice that the serial number is #2  !  Could it be this was the second one ever made?  If that is the case it is a steal at that price.... a piece of history!

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
Condenser microphones (at least high-quality ones) aren't produced serially, like on a Henry Ford assembly line. Rather, capsules are typically built in one part of the factory by one set of people with one set of skills, circuit boards are stuffed in another area by different people with different skills, and exteriors (housings, screened covers for the capsule heads, etc.) in a third.

These subassemblies are prepared, then a batch of complete capsule heads is assembled and tested, as well as a batch of microphone amplifiers (with the two components not necessarily being built in identical quantities, since relatively more capsules are rejected, and relatively more amplifiers can simply be tweaked or have individual parts replaced to bring them into spec).

Then, finally, capsule heads and amplifiers are brought together and tested for the first time as complete microphones. At that point, sure, one of the amplifiers has been marked number 001 and another one has been marked number 002, etc.--but you can hardly say that microphone number 001 was built first and then number 002 second, etc.; it just isn't done that way.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
On windscreens, I would check the measurements of the 422 against other stereo LD's

If it helps I've a Peluso P-Stereo sitting across the room and the interior dimensions of the foam windscreen are 1-3/4" across by 5-1/2" deep.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
Condenser microphones (at least high-quality ones) aren't produced serially, like on a Henry Ford assembly line. Rather, capsules are typically built in one part of the factory by one set of people with one set of skills, circuit boards are stuffed in another area by different people with different skills, and exteriors (housings, screened covers for the capsule heads, etc.) in a third.

These subassemblies are prepared, then a batch of complete capsule heads is assembled and tested, as well as a batch of microphone amplifiers (with the two components not necessarily being built in identical quantities, since relatively more capsules are rejected, and relatively more amplifiers can simply be tweaked or have individual parts replaced to bring them into spec).

Then, finally, capsule heads and amplifiers are brought together and tested for the first time as complete microphones. At that point, sure, one of the amplifiers has been marked number 001 and another one has been marked number 002, etc.--but you can hardly say that microphone number 001 was built first and then number 002 second, etc.; it just isn't done that way.

--best regards

I get that.... would make more sense if the number was much higher, but 2...  Ok so it might have been made in the first batch of 100...  still low.   But I think it is cool, its 2!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
The c422 screen fits right inside the LSD2 screen. The Peluso is closer, but still bigger.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »
Hey, try this for the 422 screen

Spare parts
Frank Rodriguez
Phone: +1 818 920 3279

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:57 AM »
will give a call maƱana. thx.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
OOK, I definitely get that; a single-digit serial number, or number 69, or any kind of pattern such as 123 or (especially for some people) 666 would definitely be fun to have, if it's on a good microphone.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Online Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 08:43:10 AM »
On windscreens, I would check the measurements of the 422 against other stereo LD's

If it helps I've a Peluso P-Stereo sitting across the room and the interior dimensions of the foam windscreen are 1-3/4" across by 5-1/2" deep.

What?  Since when?!
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »

--best regards

You just described the Ford Motor Company.......  think about it.   ;) 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »

What?  Since when?!

Which when?

It's been sitting across the room since I last used it in June.
It's been with me since I bought it in the YS 4 years ago.
It's had those dimensions longer than that.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline grrrayson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • connoisseur of sound
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »
Ha! I've been watching that one too...

...but with hesitance. I had a 426 for a while and found it really uninspiring. I know some people really love them but it had a blustery, plastic-y midrangey sound that I found rather boring and uninspiring. I'm a professional audio engineer rather than a taper so my typical uses may be a little different compared to most of you here but a significant part of what I do is wacky non-studio location recording utilizing natural ambience and I'm quite a connoisseur of tone and I've heard a lot of great microphones so the comparisons are valid.

So, I sold the 426 at a profit. The buyer is still crazy about this model as far as I know.

However, I'm wondering if the difference between the 426 and the 422 is akin to a modern 414 and an old 414EB P48. If this is the case, the sound might not be so uninspiring and the functionality of the 422 might be intriguing, but you can still get a good old 414 pair for as little as $1200 so why pay hundreds extra for a little extra functionality and slightly easier setup balanced by being stuck with a dubious non-standard cable?

Gearslut-ism at it's finest, I suppose. (I confess I still find the 422 to have a certain intrigue.)

Online Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »

What?  Since when?!

Which when?

It's been sitting across the room since I last used it in June.
It's been with me since I bought it in the YS 4 years ago.
It's had those dimensions longer than that.

Not to thread jack, but how come I've never seen this at Mag or Spring fest?
Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com